Turns out stardew valley was more than just a game to me

PrimalPete

Farmhand
So, just like most people who've played sdv, I'd like to think it had an impact on those who played it. For me I went in totally blind, with little expectations. I thought: "oh cool, a chill farming game with an old school aesthetic, sure why not?" Little did I know how deep this iceberg was underneath.
Starting with the intro of receiving an inheritance from your dying grandad, to slaving away at a corporate desk job. And having the cojones to give up financial security and move away to an idyllic town and start fresh!
Meeting new people of the quaint pelican town, of which many of them have surprising amount of depth to their personality and backstory, should you get to know them better. Then there was the strange and unexpected elements added into the game. The wizard, junimos, shadow people, dwarfs, talking animals, and a mine filled with all sorts of unusual baddies! These were boldly implemented in a way that cohesively added a sense of whimsy into what would have been a perfectly normal world with farming and folks you could get to know better.
It didn't take long for me to realize that this game was having an effect on me. It was becoming wish fulfillment. Earlier this year, I've made bold decisions that are getting me a little closer to the sdv life. I quit my job, acquired a 2 acre plot of land to begin my own lil agriculture journey! But before I do any planting, I've also began an apprenticeship at an actual farm.(forgive me for being vague on details, gotta keep the stalkers at bay😉)
Anyway, I promise not to make this thread a self centered blog about my boring-ass life. Just wanted to open a discussion about this cuz it seemed relevant.
Has stardew valley, or any game you've played motivated you to make drastic changes in your life?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
That’s an awesome story, I’m really glad you seem a lot happier with the way your life has taken than intentional turn.

I don’t think a game has changed Me to that degree but I have learnt to appreciate simple things that I didn’t used to just from playing them. Stardew was also an amazing break from everything during the pandemic for me and even after till today.

PrimalPete

Farmhand
That’s an awesome story, I’m really glad you seem a lot happier with the way your life has taken than intentional turn.

I don’t think a game has changed Me to that degree but I have learnt to appreciate simple things that I didn’t used to just from playing them. Stardew was also an amazing break from everything during the pandemic for me and even after till today.
Thanks! I appreciate you saying that. I'm certainly more hopeful for the future. And that hasn't always been the case.
Yes, I can imagine sdv helped bring a lot of relief during 2020 and onward. That reminds me of how I spent lockdown by playing the elder scrolls games back to back. Morrowind, oblivion and skyrim. Fun times.

PrimalPete

Farmhand
Wow, you really did change your life completely! Congrats on that and I wish you every success.

SDV hasn't changed my life yet, but it has given me a lot of insights into myself. At some point, I realised that I have exactly the same challenges or issues in each game as irl.
Thanks! It certainly won't come without its challenges, but it's one challenge I welcome.
That's really interesting how we act similarly in the games we play as we do in real life. Although I know some friends who enjoy playing the "evil role" in games, despite their normal behavior 🤔

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
StarDew Valley hasn't changed my life, but Red Dead Redemption II did. It helped that I nearly died from an autoimmune disorder that I didn't know I had (went on dialysis then got a transplant), so I've experienced Arthur's sudden realization of his mortality and the flowering of a resolve to do something that matters. Arthur is a character I strongly admire, and when I realized I was using the game to be someone I wanted to be, I began trying to be more proactive IRL at gaining competency, taking on responsibilities, etc.

PrimalPete

Farmhand
StarDew Valley hasn't changed my life, but Red Dead Redemption II did. It helped that I nearly died from an autoimmune disorder that I didn't know I had (went on dialysis then got a transplant), so I've experienced Arthur's sudden realization of his mortality and the flowering of a resolve to do something that matters. Arthur is a character I strongly admire, and when I realized I was using the game to be someone I wanted to be, I began trying to be more proactive IRL at gaining competency, taking on responsibilities, etc.
Wow that's intense and pretty amazing that you survived through this. I've had a couple brushes with death in my younger years back in the 90's. Nothing quite like what you have gone through. Yet i understand the connection to characters in games and how we vicariously attempt to achieve a better sense of self. Thanks for sharing your story✌

LRangerR

Local Legend
My thing wasn't a game, but I adopted a rabbit in ... 2008? She turned my life upside down, in a good way. I ended up going back to school for vet tech. Been in this field now for ... 14 years? And now any video game has to have rabbits or I just won't even play it.
Duke Nuk'em 3D?
Rimworld?
Looney Tunes?
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

PrimalPete

Farmhand
My thing wasn't a game, but I adopted a rabbit in ... 2008? She turned my life upside down, in a good way. I ended up going back to school for vet tech. Been in this field now for ... 14 years? And now any video game has to have rabbits or I just won't even play it.
That's pretty cool actually. Kinda reminds me of how agent 47 had a pet rabbit, too🤔
Congrats on going back to vet school. About 10 years ago, I even entertained the idea of being a veterinarian of some description. I was easily inspired by this pseudo reality TV show about one of the busiest vet clinics in America or something. Never went through with vet school myself. Kudos to you for following your desired path.

Tom

Farmer
SDV hasn't changed my life yet, but it has given me a lot of insights into myself. At some point, I realised that I have exactly the same challenges or issues in each game as irl.
Ditto. SDV helped me to see more clearly my impetuous nature and the clear imperative for stopping, planning, writing things down, and just plain stopping to be present. SDV also helped me to make a little bit of peace with gifting culture.

ArtifactSpot

Wow what an amazing story! I wish you much success on your new life. Who knows maybe you’ll meet that sweet irl red headed Penny or Leah too. 😍 Either way you’ll definitely have to keep us updated on how your new life works out. Congrats for pursuing your dreams.

As for me the game hasn’t changed my way of living. But it lets me escape to a world that’s mostly pleasant (there are some super sad stories too though like real life,) in my inordinate amount of free time that is a constant reminder of my disabilities. I can do things in Stardew that I never would be able to do irl. Farm, mine, fish, take long walks around the valley, talk to multiple people in person, have children, travel to a tropical island whenever I please, have a job, make money, just exist without pain. Things I would never be able to do in person. The simple life that this new farmer “levels down” to is a dream come true, lottery winning ticket for me. I used to have a pleasant relatively normal life a long time ago, but now I can again whenever I want. Just by playing a pixelated game that takes me back to that pixelated technology world I grew up in. No internet, no smartphones or social media, just a lovely active, simple, carefree life full of fresh air, running outdoors, playing all day and all night with friends, few worries, a lot less pain, and a lot more people I had yet to loose.

So it hasn’t changed my life, but allows me to revert back to a better life, better times, happier times. So glad that amidst all the updates CA never took the modern gaming approach and allowed me to remain in my pixelated 1980’s happy go lucky childhood. Bless him!

PrimalPete

Farmhand
Wow what an amazing story! I wish you much success on your new life. Who knows maybe you’ll meet that sweet irl red headed Penny or Leah too. 😍 Either way you’ll definitely have to keep us updated on how your new life works out. Congrats for pursuing your dreams.

As for me the game hasn’t changed my way of living. But it lets me escape to a world that’s mostly pleasant (there are some super sad stories too though like real life,) in my inordinate amount of free time that is a constant reminder of my disabilities. I can do things in Stardew that I never would be able to do irl. Farm, mine, fish, take long walks around the valley, talk to multiple people in person, have children, travel to a tropical island whenever I please, have a job, make money, just exist without pain. Things I would never be able to do in person. The simple life that this new farmer “levels down” to is a dream come true, lottery winning ticket for me. I used to have a pleasant relatively normal life a long time ago, but now I can again whenever I want. Just by playing a pixelated game that takes me back to that pixelated technology world I grew up in. No internet, no smartphones or social media, just a lovely active, simple, carefree life full of fresh air, running outdoors, playing all day and all night with friends, few worries, a lot less pain, and a lot more people I had yet to loose.

So it hasn’t changed my life, but allows me to revert back to a better life, better times, happier times. So glad that amidst all the updates CA never took the modern gaming approach and allowed me to remain in my pixelated 1980’s happy go lucky childhood. Bless him!
Hey artifact spot! Thank you, I'm hopeful to meet her one day, too. Red head or otherwise.
Yes, games like sdv are an excellent form of escape into a world that feels better than the one we currently live in.
I'm sorry to hear about your disabilities. It takes courage to reveal that. I have a very close friend with similar issues as well.
What you said towards the end resonates. I think most people would benefit with less time online and more time outside with friends. I know that sounds like a luxury in today's weird times, but it still matters.
Thanks for sharing artifact, wishing you happiness ✌