Solved Trying to adjust a map, getting a black void.

JadeXyan

Newcomer
Hey, I'm trying to adjust the Riley NPC mod for my personal use by changing their house to fit in with the style of the way back pelican town mod, so I opened up the relevant tbin file in Tiled, erased the graphics of the original house, and added my own, in tiled this looks right, no errors are thrown, and everything seems to be working... then I start up the game and I get this large black box around it... I've only edited the tiles where the house is on the building and front layers (the pond is a simple image replacement, it works fine without any map edits) and have no idea what's causing the empty void, hoping someone can provide me with a bit of guidance on what exactly has gone wrong here and where I should look to start fixing it as I'm a bit lost at this point.
slightproblem.png

mouse

Farmer
Without knowing more, my guess would be that when you edited the map in Tiled, you did not have all the tilesheets it used in the same folder. The map would be loaded with the tilesheets it did have (the custom ones not already present in the vanilla game), and if you then saved after ignoring/not noticing the errors, those tilesheets (most likely the seasonal outdoors and seasonal town sheets) would effectively no longer be present in that map. So when that entire area gets merged, it also merges in all the now-empty tiles.

If the map doesn't use any other layers, you might be able to avoid re-editing the original map (this time in a folder that includes all the vanilla tilesheets as well) by just removing all the un-used layers. Content Patcher, for example, will not try to replace any tiles on the back layer if your source map doesn't have a back layer at all.

Alternatively, you could try editing the way that the map piece is merged. In TMXL it would be done by adding "removeEmpty": "false" to that entry. With Content Patcher, a change to the "PatchMode" of that map edit patch to "Overlay" would likely suffice :)

The best place to start for confirmation would be a SMAPI log and a copy of your edited map + any tilesheets it requires.

JadeXyan

Newcomer
Much thanks for the assist, I had put the spring tilesheets in the same folder since those were in the errors (which disappeared as soon as I added those), but not the summer, fall, and winter. Adding those fixed the void.

mouse

Farmer
If you mean you put them in the same folder for playing (vs for editing, where they would not normally be required), you could probably remove all 4 of them. You don't need to include vanilla tilesheets with a map, but when you do you need to have all 4 seasons.

(It's interesting that that only showed the void tiles in that case, though. Missing a seasonal sheet would normally cause a lot of weird errors, although it might be down to framework quirk :) :)

junimobrat

Cowpoke
Screenshot_20210531-224138.jpg

If you mean you put them in the same folder for playing (vs for editing, where they would not normally be required), you could probably remove all 4 of them. You don't need to include vanilla tilesheets with a map, but when you do you need to have all 4 seasons.

(It's interesting that that only showed the void tiles in that case, though. Missing a seasonal sheet would normally cause a lot of weird errors, although it might be down to framework quirk :) :)
Hello, can you help me again? I was wondering why I'm also getting a black void on my patched map?

I added it via TMXL, mergeMaps, and instead of the one I made, this happens. The first time I loaded the map, I didn't have the vanilla tilesheets on my mod folder and I thought that maybe it was the cause of the black void. But it was not, because I already have the vanilla tilesheets in my mod folder and this still happened.

I did this mod first using my edited vanilla Town map, and it worked wonderfully, well, until it rained. When it rained, and I went to Town, all I get is a blackscreen with the rain bgm playing. I placed the edited using TMXL replaceMaps on my first mod.

And my third try, I used contenpatcher Edit Map, but it didn't work either. It says that my "map patch extends past the edges of the source map".