Trouble with a pirate's wife quest

Sec179

Farmhand
I talked with Birdie on Ginger Island to start this quest however she did not give me an item like she said she did. I am also unable to talk with her now, she does not have any reaction to any of my button presses.

I am playing on Switch, no mods or anything like that.

Anybody have any ideas? I really want all of the golden walnuts.

I am a stream and mac user.
My theory is that maybe you already spoke with her before and lost a photo somewhere.
Try to verify in your inventory if you have a photo.

Sec179

Farmhand
Hi! Thanks for responding!

It is not in my inventory or the lost and found. I checked all my chests as well, but it is not there. I really don't think I sold it either.

Sec179

Farmhand
Pirates wife - find a keepsake that belonged to birdie's husband

Catch a loincod - bring Willy a loincod

Pierre's notice - bring Pierre some sashimi

Fish Stew - bring Gus an albacore

Catch a squid - bring Willy a squid

(I don't love fishing, if you can't tell, ha!)

ok so you definitely started the quest. I could've sworn the first stage was already a different quest text than that, is that the only text showing for Pirates wife when you select it?

Sec179

Farmhand
The full text is

A pirates wife

An old lady living on Ginger Island is asking you to find a keepsake of her husband's. She gave you an old photograph of a soldier that washed up on shore, hoping it would help in some way.

Find a keepsake that belonged to birdie's husband

(I do not believe I have this keepsake. When I try to talk to her she does not respond)

ok then yeah, if it says she gave you the keepsake, either you have it somewhere, or there is a bug. You can submit in the help and bug reports forum if you're certain you don't have it and she didn't give it to you. I'd include all relevant details (including whether or not your inventory was full when you talked to her initially and she should have given you it), to the best of your recollection. Best of luck!