tips on finding iridium?

fungi620

Greenhorn
i know the main strategy/source is skull cavern, but i die way too easily

for context i'm on year 2 of my first ever farm so im kinda clueless lol

my main goal is to get iridium sprinklers at the moment with a bit of desire to upgrade my axe. i managed to somehow get iridium in the pelican town mines but i have no idea how i did that.. if anyone can help or give tips on getting better in skull cavern it'd be a huge help

Draconifors

Planter
You probably found a Mystic Stone in the regular mines, which gave you iridium.

For Skull Caverns, make sure to always bring plenty of food, or Life Elixirs if you have any.
Master the art of hitting Serpents at the right time, so that they don't manage to hit you. You need to attack a little bit earlier than it may seem.
Bombs are highly useful for finding ladders and shafts quickly, staircases even more so. The deeper you get, the more iridium you find, so it is worth getting past early floors as quickly as possible.

I found this older thread on the same topic; you can check it out for more tips. I don't think it's outdated. Contains at least one spoiler, though.

Ereo

Helper
At the end of year two, you can get a continuous source.

Grandpa will come back to evaluate your performance. He’ll give you points based on different things (e.g. earning money, completing the CC, getting a spouse). If you get enough points, 4 candles will appear at his altar. If you interact with it, you’ll get a statue that gives a couple of iridium ores each day. If you have less candles, you can redo the evaluation by putting a diamond on the altar once you think you’ve got enough points.

you can also buy sprinklers in the sewer each Friday.

Some geodes may contain iridium.

fungi620

Greenhorn
You probably found a Mystic Stone in the regular mines, which gave you iridium.

For Skull Caverns, make sure to always bring plenty of food, or Life Elixirs if you have any.
Master the art of hitting Serpents at the right time, so that they don't manage to hit you. You need to attack a little bit earlier than it may seem.
Bombs are highly useful for finding ladders and shafts quickly, staircases even more so. The deeper you get, the more iridium you find, so it is worth getting past early floors as quickly as possible.

I found this older thread on the same topic; you can check it out for more tips. I don't think it's outdated. Contains at least one spoiler, though.
thank you, i definitely have to utilize my kitchen more when i plan on going mining there. thankfully i got used to killing bats in the pelican town mine so i got the attack strategy down

fungi620

Greenhorn

Grandpa will come back to evaluate your performance. He’ll give you points based on different things (e.g. earning money, completing the CC, getting a spouse). If you get enough points, 4 candles will appear at his altar. If you interact with it, you’ll get a statue that gives a couple of iridium ores each day. If you have less candles, you can redo the evaluation by putting a diamond on the altar once you think you’ve got enough points.

i had no idea about any of this.. thank you its really informative

Lew Zealand

Helper

These two are what I lean on in early to mid-game for Iridium. Use the Geodes for those little bits of ore to use for Willy's Boat or Tool Upgrades and sell processed Farm goods to afford to buy the Sprinklers once you've opened the Sewer (mid-game for me).

-_- Today I learned! Wow, I'm in year five of my first save and never bothered with that area of the farm after getting 4 candles.