This has been bugging me.

Apples

Farmhand
So I have some cows that I'm TRYING to get quality cheese from but their milk size patterns are inconsistent but my chickens produce 2 iridium quality eggs each day.

Is the size and quality of animal products affected by friendship or petting/feeding?

Yes, the size and quality of animal products is based on their friendship, which in turn is generated by petting and feeding. Also, cows who are not fed do not produce milk the following day, regardless of friendship.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
If you're still growing friendship and not maxed, it does vary day to day. Even maxxed they'd sometimes surprise with a gold or silver, they'd just all be large size.

Animal products are dependent on both friendship and mood. Daily petting and access to fresh grass outdoors are two of the biggest influencing factors. Hay is much better than not feeding, but grass is a lot better than hay. The details/point system are explained in the Animal Care section of the Animals wiki page.

MissDandy

Farmer
I also don't believe that you can get quality cheese just because you have quality milk. You have to age cheese in a cask, just like wine or juice.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Animal products are dependent on both friendship and mood. Daily petting and access to fresh grass outdoors are two of the biggest influencing factors. Hay is much better than not feeding, but grass is a lot better than hay. The details/point system are explained in the Animal Care section of the Animals wiki page.
As well as heaters in the winter, those are massively influential.

being petted every day is rather minor on a singular day basis, it’s more the upkeep of already earned hearts that matters.

So yes but not in the way some people may believe, it does have an influence of course, just not massive if you look at it per single pet.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
In my recent restart, when the first winter hit, I kept thinking "what am I forgetting?". Then it hit me: they have no heaters! They are going to freeze! I remedied that situation as quickly as possible. *I* felt warmer seeing the heaters sitting in there!
Yay, sad they don't act day of, I've lost quite a bit of mood points and potential produce from remembering too late then them only activating the next day...

nicodeux

Farmer
I feel less alone knowing that I'm not the only one during the first year of a farm to wait a few days in winter before realising than at least one barn/coop is missing its heater! 😅