Thinking About Restarting My Farm

Yeseth

Greenhorn
I created a Wilderness farm which is now in late Spring of year 3, and I feel that my design is very bad and can't be changed without lots of work that I don't feel willing to put in. Should I restart my farm? If so, which map should I chose?
Farm Design:
1706500026300.png

Lew Zealand

Helper
I've completely changed my Farm design in two different saves in order to create a themed Farm so it's certainly something you can do. However before doing anything, use the Stardew Planner at:

to move things around and plan what you want. I found it invaluable for my plans and if you like this save otherwise, it may be worth it to you to re-do it. Heehee plus the Planner is like Stardew Legos so what could be better?? The Planner has a lot of items I forgot about which can help prod you into making new designs you might not have considered.

Once it's planned out, you could try waiting until the last week or so of the Season where you may have fewer Crops planted and then tear everything up, have Robin move the buildings to their new locations, and then start placing your Sprinklers and other needed things. You can then start the next Season with the bones of a new layout and slowly fill it in as the weeks proceed. You may find this less frustrating than a new save only because you have most or all of the materials ready so won't need to do the early game grind again before you can do much of your layout on the new Farm.

If you do want to change maps, the Beach map is fun but I see you have a lot of Sprinkled areas and the Beach map only has a small ~200 tile area to place Sprinklers. You can plant elsewhere but you gotta water it all yourself! I love the Beach Farm and 200 tiles is my happy size so no worries for me. Lotsa space for other non-Farming plans!

My favorite is the Forest Farm as you get Hardwood and Forageables as well as a reasonable amount of Farming space but it can be constraining so pay attention to the places you can Farm. Again I'm a small Farmer so I'd rather use the space for other things.

I tried Hilltop and after a while hated it so much that I edited my Farm save to change it to the regular Farm, and then wrote a coupla stories about the whole sordid affair. Its layout is certainly constraining but not as much as Riverland. I've never tried that one.

And I likely never will. I like Fishing but I'm leavin' the Farm to do it! I want to head South from the Farm to my favorite river Fishing spot and Riverland's circuitousness will get in my way almost as much as Hilltop. This is less good, your game should not aggravate you.

OK, unless it has the word "souls" in it.

Last edited:

Benhimself

Rancher
So what about the farm feels bad for you? It's definitely a perfectly fine functional design, and honestly even a minimalist "paths around the crop area, fences around the barn and coop areas" design is more work than a lot of people put into it. And honestly, it always feels like a lot more work to redo than it actually is: I know I very often go "Ugh, I'm going to have to move ALL these paths and fences" but when you get around to it it only takes a minute or two of real-time. The trees might be a bit more effort if you want to reclaim that space, but a decent axe and some foraging food and you could probably get a fair bit more work than you expect in a single day. (Or if at this point in the game you have decent cash flow and all the dwarf scrolls, just buy several bombs and do it the easy and fun way!)

That said, if you're excited to try a new farm with the benefits of the knowledge that you've gained from your first one, that's cool as well! All the farm types have unique benefits, as well as different aesthetics that may or may not be more what you're looking for.

Njin

Planter
I think you can make something great out of what you have already . If you want more space to create the standard layout Is best for that. The planner mentioned by Lew Zealand is super helpful I've used it a few times. Beinhimself has some great advice aswell. I'm sure you can have everything you got by year 3 in half the time now that you have more game knowledge. Stardew is no different than other games when it comes to being grindy. It's all time and effort, I think you can change what you got with minimal work, a week max and everything is different.
But if you feel the need to start over do it sooner than later. I've had several restarts myself. I'm sure you can make something great if you put a bit of effort in it whether you chose to stick with what you got or restart . Best of luck with it:)

Maher

Sodbuster
It was the biggest, most joyous epiphany when I realized that buildings could be moved without affecting their contents. Got a greenhouse full of ancient fruit? Move it and you still have a greenhouse full of ancient fruit! I was afraid it would be like chests that have to be emptied before you could move them.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It was the biggest, most joyous epiphany when I realized that buildings could be moved without affecting their contents. Got a greenhouse full of ancient fruit? Move it and you still have a greenhouse full of ancient fruit! I was afraid it would be like chests that have to be emptied before you could move them.
Yeah it's not clear to me what equipment or magic Robin is using to relocate the buildings on the Farm but I can only assume that some breakaway Junimo faction that doesn't want to return to Pandora Earthsea Oz Hyrule Middle-earth Narnia Little Whinging the Talking Apple Orchard has stolen the plans for the Death St… um, Bridge/Bus/Greenhouse/Minecart Repair and is now working an exchange with Robin where they do the building moves for her and she tells Demetrius to keep replanting the Trees in the Mountains and around the Valley for the Junimos to live in.

Problem is, someone keeps chopping them down.

Jayamos

Farmer
Eh, I’m always doing incremental redesigns (“drat, I need to upgrade my shed and move it two spaces to the right and redo the path around it and rearrange the kegs”). I feel like tree areas are the hardest because it takes a while for the trees to regrow, but you could get buildings moved and paths and fencing redone in a couple of ingame days. Fields are tougher because you need to get that done at the beginning of the season in order not to interfere with crops, so you would need to think about staging. Set aside a week or so for farm makeover, spend some quality time with the farm planner, and enjoy your refreshed farm!

Lew Zealand

Helper
I feel like tree areas are the hardest because it takes a while for the trees to regrow, but you could get buildings moved and paths and fencing redone in a couple of ingame days.
Tree Fertilizer is low-key one of my favorite and secretly OP craftables in the game. Doesn't work on Fruit Trees and has random speedup effects on Mahogany Trees but I'm usually not using those for design. For the Big Three: Oak, Maple, Pine, the 4 day regrow with Treefert is so appreciated when doing Farm design.

Spring of year three is still pretty early for a first farm, and there's nothing really wrong with your layout. I would be hesitant to scrap it so soon.
How did you do on grandpa's evaluation? If you didn't get your 4 candles and iridium cat, you may want to redo your eval with a diamond.
There are a lot of things to do that don't depend on your farm layout. You might still want to finish the community center, movie theater, trash bear, level 100 skull cavern, max friendships, fix the boat, tailoring clothes, interior decorating, so many things.
Also, I see a lot of ways you could shift your layout without a huge overhaul. Just putting your barn & coop side by side and having them share a yard would free a large area. You could replant your crops differently at the beginning of the next few seasons, clear out some wood, put in fish ponds.
My first few farms, I didn't try to do all the things. I started over when it sounded more fun to try a new farm. So that's totally okay too!