Summer Spangles behaving oddly?

Hey guys! No clue if this is a bug or not, but I had some summer spangles in a chest. All one color, like a golden yellow. I added some new ones to that chest today, that were blue and pink (I think?) and instead of retaining their color like poppies, they all stacked to the yellow spangles and became yellow. The wiki doesn't mention anything about spangles stacking and losing their original color. Also, in my inventory, the recently harvested ones do not stack to each other. They have only changed colors when stacking to an old stash of summer spangles I have. Is this a glitch?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah I’m not sure if this is a bug (probably is) but all flowers can be manipulated or accidentally changed into other colours of the same quality by stacking them. It’s a bit annoying in some cases but nice in others as unless you want all the colours it’s just going to help save space.

It’s probably going to be removed in 1.6 with the addition of more expansive item ids

VampireCake

Rancher
I think I recall something about the behaviour of the flowers you can buy from the merchant changing at some point? They're a sort of 'generic' version that doesn't/didn't stack with ones you grow and are a slightly different colour. I couldn't find anything on the wiki though - anyone else recall this or is my brain wandering again? 🤔

(I hope they don't get removed, I like collecting them...)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I think I recall something about the behaviour of the flowers you can buy from the merchant changing at some point? They're a sort of 'generic' version that doesn't/didn't stack with ones you grow and are a slightly different colour. I couldn't find anything on the wiki though - anyone else recall this or is my brain wandering again? 🤔

(I hope they don't get removed, I like collecting them...)
Flowers sold by the traveling merchant are a different colour not available regularly through planting. They are the actual default colour of the flower. They will stack with other colours like all flowers do, depending on which is stacked onto the other you can either get more of one or the other.

It’s an easy way of collecting loads of the otherwise elusive colour.

I've never had that happen, but it actually sounds great! I grow tulips for Evelyn, fairy rose for Evelyn and Jas, spangle for Caroline, and (of course) poppies for Penny. The different colors and quality levels take up a lot of room to store in a chest!