Suggestion from a year 4 Farmer

Do you also find yourself facing the issues above?

• Yes, often

• Yes, from time to time

• Not really

Results are only viewable after voting.

IceStardew

Greenhorn
Hello,

I have come here to give feedback on the game. I have somewhat recently joined stardew valley and I am on year 4 now and I play on Nintendo Switch. There is some things that I do find annoying so I wanted to share that in a constructive way:

1. I find that Marnie and Robin should not have a shared "Off" day. A lot of times, especially in the beginning I found myself really needing stuff and having to wait on both of them to open feels bad. If one was open at least I could get half the job done today and the next tomorrow.

2. Please enable a check question when using the teleportation totems! I often accidentally press on them and teleport somewhere where I do not wish to be! I end up wasting so many totems that way.

3. MORE IMPORTANTLY! Please let NO be the first,default answer when the game asks if one would like to consume a piece of food. Everywhere I look, be it other games or simple PC Updates, the default option is always no and one has to scroll down to press yes very conciously. Yes being the first answer is risky and I end up pressing it so often by accident.

4. Is it possible to bring speed boots into the game? I mean I truly, truly do not understand how no boots in the game give you speed. It is to me incredibly odd for such a natural and intuitive feature.

5. If it is not possible to have Marnie and Robin be closed on different days, can we at least move some of the event away from wednesday? Sometimes I wish to buy something from them on monday but I realizeit is too late in the day and I also realize the next day is tuesday so they are closed. Then wednesday ends up being an event and I myself end up having to wait 3 days to finally purchase this one thing I need so badly.

Thanks for considering.

Worblehat

Planter
Regarding #2 and 3 on your list, I completely agree, this game needs more and better confirmation prompts. This thread covers several related ideas.

#4, not sure how that would interact with espresso and spiced eels without breaking the game.

You know, I've actually gone to the boots page on the wiki to see if speed boots existed, wishing very much they did and determined to pause all else to get them if they did lol. Good suggestions, there isn't one that wouldn't be helpful imo, though some might debate the first one. I basically take my horse and an unending supply of coffee or espresso everywhere... though I can see speed boots might give an unfair advantage to player in the mine ...so maybe a late game addition?

I can certainly see the point about this complicating other things, in that case an alternative might be that it wouldn't have to speed things that much, even making it a similar speed up to walking on paths without walking on paths would be nice. It also wouldn't have to complicate espresso and spiced eels if they didn't stack and the higher ability cancels out the other maybe? I don't know, I'd have to give it more thought as to what all it might complicate, that is a good point.

Worblehat

Planter
It also wouldn't have to complicate espresso and spiced eels if they didn't stack and the higher ability cancels out the other maybe?
I wondered about that. I don't know how difficult that would be, either to code or for players to understand. Usually buffs from different sources stack. So we'd expect a buff from boots to stack with food and drink buffs. Which as far as I know they do for defense buffs (crab cakes). Making an exception for speed would solve the balance question, but introduce a confusion issue instead.

I like the idea of just making a speed buff from boots (running shoes?) fairly small. Or maybe even having a couple options, one pure speed boots (+0.5 or +1 even) intended for zooming around the farm or town, and one with maybe +3 defense +3 immunity +0.1 speed for a more balanced approach that doesn't leave you defenseless in the mine/SC/Volcano. Though I wonder if the type of player who is actually good at SC etc. could abuse a zero defense +1 speed boot option to just zip around in there never getting hit by anything, so the lack of defense wouldn't matter.

I wondered about that. I don't know how difficult that would be, either to code or for players to understand. Usually buffs from different sources stack. So we'd expect a buff from boots to stack with food and drink buffs. Which as far as I know they do for defense buffs (crab cakes). Making an exception for speed would solve the balance question, but introduce a confusion issue instead.

I like the idea of just making a speed buff from boots (running shoes?) fairly small. Or maybe even having a couple options, one pure speed boots (+0.5 or +1 even) intended for zooming around the farm or town, and one with maybe +3 defense +3 immunity +0.1 speed for a more balanced approach that doesn't leave you defenseless in the mine/SC/Volcano. Though I wonder if the type of player who is actually good at SC etc. could abuse a zero defense +1 speed boot option to just zip around in there never getting hit by anything, so the lack of defense wouldn't matter.
Huh, that’s interesting. I read on the wiki that buffs generally don't stack (except for 2). Maybe it is outdated?
I figured if there are already exceptions, more exceptions are probably not a big deal, but I don't really know.

imnvs

Local Legend
Huh, that’s interesting. I read on the wiki that buffs generally don't stack (except for 2). Maybe it is outdated?
I figured if there are already exceptions, more exceptions are probably not a big deal, but I don't really know.
2 food buffs don't stack. 2 drink buffs don't stack. 1 food buff and 1 drink buff do stack. Boosts from gear do stack (like boots with a weapon that gives defense). Speed from weapons is only to attack speed, not run speed.