Suggestion for thread titles

imnvs

Local Legend
Perhaps make a rule so that thread titles have to include what the idea is about. This not only makes people think about what they're posting, but helps every reader find the threads they want to read and engage in... and not only that, makes it easier to find threads again later.

Sinmenon

Planter
Like [game help], [game suggestion], [mod help], [writing] and so on before the thread name?
Or are you referring to less "click-baity" titles? Either way both would be good imo

Pangaearocks

Planter
Thoroughly behind this suggestion. Thread titles like "game idea", "bug", "help", "game crashed" doesn't do anything to inform people, and some of them are just clickbait.

Perhaps this is going too far, you tell me, but a different forum I used to frequent, they would outright close threads that didn't have an informative thread title. The OP could then amend it, or maybe had to contact the moderators with a new suggestion, or start a new thread with a proper title (I don't recall exactly what the mods wrote in those closed threads). It made it much easier to browse the forum, because you could tell what a thread was about without first having to click on it and hope the first post was more serious than the thread title.

imnvs

Local Legend
Or are you referring to less "click-baity" titles? Either way both would be good imo
Less click-baity is what I'm looking for indeed. Like I could have named this "A suggestion" which provides no insight as to what the suggestion/idea contained within is about, so that's why I added the "A suggestion for thread titles".

Sinmenon

Planter
Less click-baity is what I'm looking for indeed. Like I could have named this "A suggestion" which provides no insight as to what the suggestion/idea contained within is about, so that's why I added the "A suggestion for thread titles".
It could have been a great "example" to prove your point. And yes I completely agree with you.
I think it is ok to be bad at naming threads and all of that, but giving a misleading or "click-baity" name is a little disingenuous. Sure, might attract more views but depending on my mood idk if I would be feeling like interacting for example. "A suggestion" , "I have an idea" , "Thread names" and things like that are hardly any indication what it would be about.
Sure, I'm not saying that people should name their threads almost turning them into purple prose is good either. Like... idk... "A suggestion for thread titles - why non-descriptive titles is bad and you should feel bad" :petrified:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Less click bait would be amazing.

I personally like doing things that seem like clickbait but aren’t and I think people should try to do something like that.

Being informative not only helps the people answering but also the people asking the question to get their answers in a timely manner.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
We do change thread titles in Bug Reports and I've changed a bullet point in the guidelines to make it clearer. At the end of the day, though, not everyone will follow this rule and it's nothing so severe that we would get onto people for it. Feel free to report anything vague that we don't catch and we'll make it more descriptive.