Strategy

Plus, I don't even plant cauliflower anymore. I only plant ancient fruit+whatever else I need for quests, cooking, etc.

imnvs

Local Legend
I suppose part of the problem with this conversation is that he's already past the "in the long run" phase of the game.
Exactly. I just don't care about efficiency or money any more. I can appreciate the advice for a future playthrough, but I just don't care about a little more money. It just doesn't make enough of a difference for me to care. I'm working much more on the other parts of perfection like cooking and fishing right now, instead of money. But I can totally appreciate the advice for the future!
To be fair, in this I wasn't giving specific advice on how to proceed in this particular save. It was more general advice.

Hazy

Farmhand
My file is year 6 in spring and on the standard farm. I'm not necessarily trying to make the most money ever, but I like my farmer to have a steady and reliable source of income. I am trying to achieve 100% perfection on this file.

I have 6 deluxe barns.

In these I have:

36 pigs in 3 barns.
12 ostriches in 1 barn.
12 cows in another barn.
6 sheep and 6 goats in the final barn.

I also have 2 coops which house:

4 chickens
4 void chickens
4 ducks

6 rabbits
6 dinosaurs

I have 9 fish ponds.

3 blobfish
3 sturgeon
3 lava eel

As far as sheds:

1 keg shed (used for ancient fruit wine mainly)
1 preserve jar shed (used for pineapple jelly mostly)
1 trophy shed
1 storage shed with furnaces as well

I plan to dedicate a shed to crystalariums at some point. I may add a second for either more kegs or more preserve jars.

Greenhouse:

116 ancient fruit
3 banana trees
3 mango trees
2 apricot trees
2 orange trees
2 cherry trees
2 apple trees
2 peach trees
2 pomegranate trees

I also have a few kegs chilling on ginger island or either making green tea or extra wine and a bunch of preserve jars near my fish ponds dedicated solely to roe.

To be fair, in this I wasn't giving specific advice on how to proceed in this particular save. It was more general advice.
True dat, my friend. I'll probably be starting a new playthrough sometime in January and hopefully not making as many noob mistakes... I'll probably do the cauli pickles thing too. Thanks for the advice.

Boo1972

Farmer
I’ve been thinking about how to answer this for a while now. Several months ago, Squigglyruth had a thread detailing how she chose her year one strategy. I found it really helpful. I would like to be helpful too, but I’m not really the type to pull out a calculator and run the numbers on crop value or skill level. Fortunately, the forums are filled with members who enjoy that. I’ll just benefit from their hard work. So, here is my general Stardew Valley strategy.

1. Create a character that speaks to me. I generally start a new save file with certain goals in mind. I’ll make a character and pick a farm type based on those goals. But, if the farmer and I aren’t connecting, I’ll delete the file and start fresh.

2. Don’t rush into marriage. I usually like to get married in the game and hope to someday marry every available villager. However, some villagers tickle my fancy more than others. Nothing kills my interest in my farm faster than an uninspiring spouse.

3. Experiment. I love to try different year one openings. Unlock the desert at the end of the first spring? Check. Make money mining and smelting? Check. Level 5 fishing on day 4? Check. This really helped me focus on what I truly enjoy.

4. Do what you enjoy. Farming and foraging are my favorite in game skill. Planting wild seeds fulfills both needs, so I try to plant them my first year. Thanks to Squigglyruth, I discovered that I love to brew beer in my first summer and fall. Are there more profitable crops? Yep. Does it matter to me? Not usually. Heck, I’m unabashedly team pumpkin pickles over cranberries in fall.

5. Splurge on good weapons. Combat is so much more enjoyable with quality weapon you handle well.

6. use sheds for fun and profit. My beach farm has 7 sheds- 1 work shop, 4 for processing and 2 to decorate. I wish the villagers would come visit my aquarium and tea room. For now, I’ll just have to pretend.

7. Don’t be afraid to change things. There really is no wrong way to play, so if you’re unhappy with something change it. Restart an unpleasant day, destroy that slime hutch, reduce your crop field. You do not want to know how often I rearrange my farm. I want a farm I enjoy.

8. Don’t forget the villagers! Some of them will send you great gifts in the mail, some will crack you up with the things they say and some you will torment. Would you like some corn, Pierre? Heh, heh. Don’t forget the wizard! Access to his basement is worth the effort of raising his friendship level.

Anyway, that’s how I approach a new game. I know my answer is different from most of the ones you will get, but I hope it helps some one.

hexnessie

Farmer
How many ponds,barn and coops you guys have or what are they occupied with
Or are your sheds full of keg maybe preserve jars
This largely depends on the type of farm. On standard layout, I had around 1000 plots with crops, 3 barns and a coop (1 barn full of jars and 2 of kegs), plus 3-4 sheds with kegs. 8 fish ponds with blobfish.

Now that I'm playing river farm, space is much more scarce. I have 800 plots, 3 sheds, 1 coop and 1 barn. Mostly filled with kegs, only 90 jars. No fish ponds, I might get 1 to make Caviar for the bundle.

I only keep ancient fruit in my greenhouse, plus 1 of each tree - the rest is filled with banana trees.

I also fill up the house with garden pots and plant the "bush" type crops in them (corn, tomato, aubergine (er, eggplant?), pineapple, strawberries (for seeds), coffee, etc.)

imnvs

Local Legend
I also fill up the house with garden pots and plant the "bush" type crops in them (corn, tomato, aubergine (er, eggplant?), pineapple, strawberries (for seeds), coffee, etc.)
Yes, aubergine is typically called eggplant in English.