Question Stardew Expanded in Certain Saves Only

boyliker

Sodbuster
Hi everyone! I had a quick question regarding Expanded. If I only wanted SDVE on one save, not interfering with any of my older saves or multiplayer games, what would I have to do to make that possible? Is it a built in feature? Thank you!

Quirinea

Farmer
The game is launched with the mods in the folder "Mods". I have been using a simple system for switching mods between different saves (needs some tinkering). Make separate mod folders for different saves. The one for the current run is just "Mods". Name the others so that you remember which is which (e.g. Mods-John if you named your character John or Mods-Hillside if your farm was "Hillside farm".
The older saves are not affected unless you play them with SDVE and save. Just opening a game with a wrong set of mods does nothing to the save.

A youtube video about modding SDV by DoctorDubHub; he appeared to make a shortcut for the vanilla game as well as one for the modded game.
I will say that I have not tried this! I am thinking about it, but ultimately I have not gotten around to it :sweat:.
I view it as a big risk with potentially minimal rewards to me. I am not software savvy. If you find a way and it works, I would really love to hear it!
Seriously want to play SDVE! But I'm too worried that I will damage my let's play save file 😓. Yes, I know I am chicken :bchicken::wchicken:

boyliker

Sodbuster
The game is launched with the mods in the folder "Mods". I have been using a simple system for switching mods between different saves (needs some tinkering). Make separate mod folders for different saves. The one for the current run is just "Mods". Name the others so that you remember which is which (e.g. Mods-John if you named your character John or Mods-Hillside if your farm was "Hillside farm".
The older saves are not affected unless you play them with SDVE and save. Just opening a game with a wrong set of mods does nothing to the save.
true true! i'll probably just do this, wasn't sure if it affected saves before i opened em or if there was already a feature that wasn't manual. thank you!! i should know better since i've been modding for a while but the input was much needed and very appreciated !! <3

A youtube video about modding SDV by DoctorDubHub; he appeared to make a shortcut for the vanilla game as well as one for the modded game.
I will say that I have not tried this! I am thinking about it, but ultimately I have not gotten around to it :sweat:.
I view it as a big risk with potentially minimal rewards to me. I am not software savvy. If you find a way and it works, I would really love to hear it!
Seriously want to play SDVE! But I'm too worried that I will damage my let's play save file 😓. Yes, I know I am chicken :bchicken::wchicken:
ohhh i'll check this out!! that's a really good idea. i'll probably end up using Quirinea's idea above, i did it a few years back and it's really easy and doesn't mess up any of ur saves. i get it though, i get soooo nervous abt my save files being corrupted lol. thank you!!

mouse

Farmer
It was probably following these instructions on the wiki, which explain how to use different folders for different saves.

In your case, you wouldn't need to do even that! It's really easy to do "modded and not modded" -- if you're on Windows for example, you can just choose not to set your Steam launch options to start SMAPI in the first place, so that any time you want to play with mods, you would start StardewModdingAPI.exe directly from your game folder. The rest of the time, it would launch the vanilla game, and it would just be up to you to decide which you wanted.

(Your save will never be affected by mods if you never even load it with mods installed. Even if you do, as long as you don't save again it will be fine. And even if you saved, there is a one day backup. And even if you... etc :D)

I hope any of that helps! The modding community is very friendly and helpful, although most of them are on Discord. Still, if you run into any problems someone can probably help you figure it out :)

morphinpink

Sodbuster
If you want a 100% vanilla save then just start the game through the exe that comes with the game instead of smapi. If you still want to use mods but not sve I'd just move the sve folder to the desktop or another folder. As long as you don't open the saves that were started with sve it should be fine.

boyliker

Sodbuster
It was probably following these instructions on the wiki, which explain how to use different folders for different saves.

In your case, you wouldn't need to do even that! It's really easy to do "modded and not modded" -- if you're on Windows for example, you can just choose not to set your Steam launch options to start SMAPI in the first place, so that any time you want to play with mods, you would start StardewModdingAPI.exe directly from your game folder. The rest of the time, it would launch the vanilla game, and it would just be up to you to decide which you wanted.

(Your save will never be affected by mods if you never even load it with mods installed. Even if you do, as long as you don't save again it will be fine. And even if you saved, there is a one day backup. And even if you... etc :D)

I hope any of that helps! The modding community is very friendly and helpful, although most of them are on Discord. Still, if you run into any problems someone can probably help you figure it out :)
If you want a 100% vanilla save then just start the game through the exe that comes with the game instead of smapi. If you still want to use mods but not sve I'd just move the sve folder to the desktop or another folder. As long as you don't open the saves that were started with sve it should be fine.
Thank you both!! Yah, I still wanted to use mods so I'm just setting up two different mod folders and switching them out when need be. I appreciate it!

mouse

Farmer
(Just to clarify, you don't have to move the folder anywhere - just renaming it to anything but Mods would be enough, although with the shortcuts method I linked, you wouldn't even need to do that :) )

morphinpink

Sodbuster
(Just to clarify, you don't have to move the folder anywhere - just renaming it to anything but Mods would be enough, although with the shortcuts method I linked, you wouldn't even need to do that :) )
I know renaming the folder works too, but I've seen people ask why certain mods are no longer working or loading even though they're in their mods folder and turns out they changed the folder name. It seems to be easier for people to visualise and keep track of what mods they're taking out if they move it to their desktop. That's why I suggest that method.

Quirinea

Farmer
I know renaming the folder works too, but I've seen people ask why certain mods are no longer working or loading even though they're in their mods folder and turns out they changed the folder name. It seems to be easier for people to visualise and keep track of what mods they're taking out if they move it to their desktop. That's why I suggest that method.
The problem with that is that many mods have dependencies (type PytK, ProducerFramework, NPCFixes, etc.), and at least I have often several mods that use the same "intermediate" (typically all mods adding characters or all adding areas use the same dependencies). Then it is hard to remember what is needed and what not (of course it usually doesn't matter if you have an unnecessary dependency mod, unless you get some mess and it's caused by a mod that isn't even actually used!).

BTW I think I saw somewhere a mod-organizing mod for Windows. As it was for Windows I didn't look further (being a Linux user).

morphinpink

Sodbuster
The problem with that is that many mods have dependencies (type PytK, ProducerFramework, NPCFixes, etc.), and at least I have often several mods that use the same "intermediate" (typically all mods adding characters or all adding areas use the same dependencies). Then it is hard to remember what is needed and what not (of course it usually doesn't matter if you have an unnecessary dependency mod, unless you get some mess and it's caused by a mod that isn't even actually used!).

BTW I think I saw somewhere a mod-organizing mod for Windows. As it was for Windows I didn't look further (being a Linux user).
It's not really a problem since it's not necessary to remove the dependencies. Besides the question was about sve specifically, leaving the dependencies won't alter their non sve files.