Spouse & Children Interactions and Personalities Development Ideas

BlueFlash

Cowpoke
Hello everyone! I would like to share my idea regarding possible children interactions and personalities. Fortunately, they could correspond with each other so I want to talk about both.

First, let me explain a lil story about how the idea came to me if that's okay. I played Stardew Valley and got married. Eventually, I got two kids and I saw that there were not many interactions. More importantly, it's really lacking the family vibe. Even though there are few dialogues but it doesn't feel so rewarding. I checked here for game suggestions and saw that this same idea was a very popular request and CA is def interested in it. I also continued to read more of other ideas similar to this one. I really liked many ideas of theirs. Anyways, this is more of an idea, not a game suggestion. I hope I didn't bring up a repeated idea but I'll throw my ideas out in here in case.

Now, for the idea, I think I'll start with personalities first.

Since children lacked personalities, I thought maybe there could be a way to make children feel more "realistic" with interactions and developing personalities. Fortunately, I have three possible options that may apply to the developing personality.

1) Before the baby is received, the menu will pop up and ask you what kind of personality you want for your own children. There are too many different personalities so I'm not sure but I did some research on common personalities. I found that it's dependent on five categories: openness, agreeableness, extraversion, neuroticism, and contentiousness. Anyways, four "common" personalities could be the following:

- average (high on neuroticism and extraversion but low in openness)
- self-centered ( high in extraversion but low in all other three)
- reserved (low in openness and neuroticism but more emotionally stable)
- role models (low in neuroticism but high in extraversion, openness, and agreeable)

I'm sure there are many other options you guys would rather prefer that would work with figuring out the desired personality and even the kind of life you want better. Some options include adventurous, passionate, patient, caring. If adventurous is picked, your family would experience a lot of adventures like walking outside and interacting together and even pack in some actions. If it's caring, you can expect a lot of interactions in the house especially during cooking or have the child recover your energy as a way of healing. I'll explain more about that after.

Unfortunately, this option seemed more fixed like you won't be very creative with the personality because personalities are given and you have to pick one. However, this one is probably the easiest to add in the game.

2) Now for the next possible option which is more creative and complicated. The idea is that you could give your child some gifts to boost their particular interest and develop it into some kind of hobby. For example, if you are to give your child artifacts or minerals only, they can become more interested in mining because it often involves collecting these common items. Furthermore, potentially, your child can join you and assist you in the battle against monsters and collect resources. To make it less difficult, your child will not suffer damage nor energy-depleting. Another potential idea can be that your child could "go out" instead and collect particular items and give you some at night time. I'm sure you get the same idea for other different types of items.

Examples:

Food > cooking
Artisan Goods > Collecting Keg, preserve bin, etc. and give them to you at a certain time
Forage > collecting resources outside and give them to you

This is a little bit more focusing on the child developing personality rather than actual interactions between child AND parent (spouse)

3) The last possible option I have in mind and fortunately, this one is probably much more spouse & children interaction alike than other two options
The idea heavily relies on dialogues. I'm aware this one might be a little bit difficult and tricky to make with the added mechanic, making it a little bit more complicated. However, it might be solved by simply interacting with the child and the child will ask you questions about a lot of random things. The good thing about this is that no matter what answer, it will not reduce your child's friendship points. However, each answer will have this kind of system that stacks up points dependent on the answer. The max points possible is 150. There will be five different categories that can be stacked and you can guess it right. It has to do with personalities. I still don't know what specific personalities can be added but you guys can suggest some ideas if you want. I would love to hear from you! I can't explain the system well but I can try to make a picture. Imagine your child asking what do you like to do? Five answers will be given which are the following

"I like to go mining" -> If you pick this, your child will feel more adventurous and become more interested in mining (+1 hardworking)
"I like to forage" -> if you pick this, your child will become more interested in foraging and collecting resources (+1 adventurous)
"I like fishing" -> if you pick this, your child will catch some fish or marine animals for you at the local pond (your farm map) (I don't know about this lmao)
"I like farming" -> if you pick this, your child will go water some crops (+1 passionate)
"I like to do everything" -> your child can do everything but it's dependent on points overall (depends on which personality has the most points = more common hobby than others)

Obviously, there will be so many dialogues with each answer having their own points boost dependent on what kind of answer it is.
This is just an example xD

Anyways, to make it more realistic, the more points a certain point has, the more often your child will perform that task. It can still perform the task with the least points but it will be way less often. These are more specific child interactions.

Now for the spouse & children interactions, the events will be just like friendship events but more of them. Your spouse must have 14 hearts and have a kid in order for spouse & child interaction to happen. I am not sure how many friendship events there will be but hopefully, a lot. Other special occasions can include festivals and holidays where you will interact with both of your spouse and children during the cutscene although it has to be added lol.

Here's the fun bonus: The day when the baby is born/adopted, your spouse will interact with the firstborn and say "Hey, you're going to be an older brother/sister. This kid will be your younger brother/sister." and then ask you "What name should we give to this child?" then the name menu pops up and you name it. After that, it goes back to the cutscene and the child will say "_____. I love that name! I will be a great older brother/sister! :3" Spouse dialogue will be different depending on who you're with.

That's all the ideas I could think of. Undeniably, there's so much potential in spouse & child interactions. I'm really looking forward to these contents added in the future! I hope you guys enjoy my idea. I'm aware my ideas may seem a bit too much but CA could potentially look at it and maybe try a similar method to mine? Who knows? xD I want to hear what you guys think of this. :3 Have fun farming haha!

Odin

Staff member
Great suggestions, I really like the idea of being able to guide your kids towards particular hobbies!
1) Before the baby is received, the menu will pop up and ask you what kind of personality you want for your own children.
Maybe instead their personality is based in part on how your character has answered things in cutscenes in the past, and partly based on who your spouse is? I just think getting to explicitly select the personality may break immersion for many people.

BlueFlash

Cowpoke
Great suggestions, I really like the idea of being able to guide your kids towards particular hobbies!

Maybe instead their personality is based in part on how your character has answered things in cutscenes in the past, and partly based on who your spouse is? I just think getting to explicitly select the personality may break immersion for many people.
Yeah, you're right on selecting the personality part. I think it's more realistic and fun to guide your kids because, like that idea, our social development are very dependent on parents in the starting stages of development that also include hobbies and personalities together. It would be fun to see CA implement that kind of mechanic to fulfill the purpose of marriage and having kids and have a real sense of being rewarded for working toward it.

Person090

Planter

Yep, I really want the children to grow up and have personalities based on our choices in heart events and questions, and according to your spouse, to encourage even more replayability. Would be nice if you could teach your children stuff like fishing and mining or have unique heart events where you teach your child different stuff.

BlueFlash

Cowpoke
Yep, I really want the children to grow up and have personalities based on our choices in heart events and questions, and according to your spouse, to encourage even more replayability. Would be nice if you could teach your children stuff like fishing and mining or have unique heart events where you teach your child different stuff.
YES! Imagine how fun that would be! :)

Chililover

Planter
I love this idea! but What if there was a extra step for personality. If you didn't spend much time with your kid, they wouldn't listen to the things you said and wouldn't like you very much, and maybe join a rock band and rebel. Same with spouse. (Except your spouse wouldn't join a rock band lol) if you didn't talk to spouse much they wouldn't talk to your kid about you and your kid wouldn't like you as much. I think a cut scene on the day your kid walks would be nice and would boost your hearts with your spouse. Also if you didn't talk to your spouse there could be a cut scene where they w as talking to them self about how you didn't talk to them much. Etc. hope this idea gets added!

BlueFlash

Cowpoke
I love this idea! but What if there was a extra step for personality. If you didn't spend much time with your kid, they wouldn't listen to the things you said and wouldn't like you very much, and maybe join a rock band and rebel. Same with spouse. (Except your spouse wouldn't join a rock band lol) if you didn't talk to spouse much they wouldn't talk to your kid about you and your kid wouldn't like you as much. I think a cut scene on the day your kid walks would be nice and would boost your hearts with your spouse. Also if you didn't talk to your spouse there could be a cut scene where they w as talking to them self about how you didn't talk to them much. Etc. hope this idea gets added!
That's a great idea! Yes, that would make it even more fun!

Quillmagic

Farmer
I love the idea of guiding your children toward a hobby/personality! There could be some alternatives, like randomly picking a personality or something more “natural” like your spouse asking, “What do you think our kid will be like?” so it feels less like you‘re choosing the kid’s life.

BlueFlash

Cowpoke
I love the idea of guiding your children toward a hobby/personality! There could be some alternatives, like randomly picking a personality or something more “natural” like your spouse asking, “What do you think our kid will be like?” so it feels less like you‘re choosing the kid’s life.
Yes, that's a good one too! I don't mind that content either.