[SPOILERS] How do you not die in the volcano dungeon?

I went to Ginger Island in the 1.5 update and spent 4 days there and beat the volcano dungeon.
I died a lot of times and lost a lot of money.
I am also trying to get cinder shards.
Any food that I should bring other then what I should bring in skull cavern?
I should I use bombs?

goboking

Rancher
Try stacking defense (eggplant parmesan, crabshell rings, etc.) and bring a stack of food to replenish health. Make sure your health-recovery food doesn't overwrite your buff-giving food though.

Elenna101

Farmer
Yeah, the monsters there are pretty tough especially when you're not used to the attack patterns.

Similar to Skull Caverns, you need to keep an eye on your health and eat when it starts dipping below half or so.

I don't think bombs are as useful in the volcano dungeon as they are in skull caverns, since you don't need to blow up rocks to find a ladder. I guess a few bombs could help you deal with ore or rock clumps faster, since those rocks take lots of hits to break.

You can use the screenshot tool at the bottom of the options menu to see a full screenshot of the floor (at least on PC, I'm not sure how/if that works on console). That will let you see the fastest way to the exit, any cinder shard nodes, any buttons you need to push, etc.

Akemisora

Planter
Spicy eel and Triple espresso helps you navigate in it very fast. Also slime charmer will set you free from annoying tiger slimes. Try avoid sparker at any cost if you don't like combat.

Fat Link

Cowpoke
Basically to survive and not die in the volcano dungeon you really have to change your play style.

You have to play aggressively as though you’re playing Resident Evil 4 and attempting to fight off its bloodthirsty infected horde of villagers and ocassional chainsaw wielding Jason Vorhees Friday the 13th copycat maniacs.

Play/fight like that and you’ll generally be ok, but like others have already said upgrading your gear as you’re able doesn’t hurt either.