[Spoilers] Foraging Reward

LRangerR

Local Legend
So you unlock the Cookout Kit at foraging level 9. A lot of players have said that they'd like the chance to be able to cook things at an earlier stage in the game. Why not just make the Cookout Kit get unlocked at a much lower level?

goboking

Rancher
As someone who feels that cooking it unlocked later than it should be, I was first thrilled to learn of the Cookout Kit, then disappointed to learn that it's unlocked at Foraging 9. I can't see much use in carrying this thing around just so you can cook on the go when you can instead prepare you meals in your kitchen and take them with you. If it were unlocked at, say, Foraging 3 or 4, then it would fill the role of a consumable kitchen, allowing us to cook before we've upgraded our house.

ISSsloth

Farmer
I feel that it could be unlocked earlier but it's more important that either the recipe or sell price is changed. For a handful of fairly basic resources you get cooking/3000 gold very easily.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I feel that it could be unlocked earlier but it's more important that either the recipe or sell price is changed. For a handful of fairly basic resources you get cooking/3000 gold very easily.
Or make it so it's harder to get the recipes/you get them later.

ISSsloth

Farmer
Not the recipe for the cooking kit, the recipes that you cook with. For balancing. That's what you meant in your other post, right?
Yes, I'm talking about the cooking kit. What I'm saying though is that it's easy to make and sells for a lot so I feel that if the cooking kit were unlocked sooner the price or crafting recipe would have t be balanced.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Yes, I'm talking about the cooking kit. What I'm saying though is that it's easy to make and sells for a lot so I feel that if the cooking kit were unlocked sooner the price or crafting recipe would have t be balanced.
Oh i thought you were referring to some of the recipes that you can craft early-game, using the cooking kit.

Odin

Staff member
I can understand why people may feel cooking is unlocked too late, but my personal take is that unlocking cooking earlier would mean significant changes to gameplay. Having this recipe for the cookout kit at level 9 makes it a small addition to the game, making it an early unlock would make it a big shakeup to some people's strategies. As much as people may want that, I just don't think that's the intention here.

imnvs

Local Legend
I can understand why people may feel cooking is unlocked too late, but my personal take is that unlocking cooking earlier would mean significant changes to gameplay. Having this recipe for the cookout kit at level 9 makes it a small addition to the game, making it an early unlock would make it a big shakeup to some people's strategies. As much as people may want that, I just don't think that's the intention here.
See, I usually have upgraded my house to have a kitchen before Fall Year 1, and not because it gets me the kitchen, but because I need a kitchen before I can get married. I can't see how getting access to cooking any earlier would change much as far as my gameplay. I would still be working with the same ingredients and have the same recipes, because I'm still processing the same stuff and making friends and completing quests at the same rate, not to mention that Queen of the Sauce doesn't give recipes any faster than 1/week.

And to be honest, carrying one of these around so I can cook outside the house? It sounds like a pain in the @$$. Not only do I have to have this thing in my inventory, but I have to have all the ingredients of the thing I'm going to cook in my inventory? Am I bringing this stuff along with me? That's a lot of inventory space occupied by, frankly, a bunch of otherwise useless stuff. Am I bringing this all in the mines so I can cook something while I'm down there? No. I'm cooking it before I go into the mines. The food takes up less space than all the ingredients plus the campfire. Am I foraging and have a lot of wild tree seeds I'm going to make into a field snack? Don't need a campfire. Am I mining and have a bunch of bug meat I want to make steaks out of? Don't need a campfire. What other ingredients am I finding on an adventure that I'll find the need to cook it up on that adventure? Nothing. Literally. Seriously.

IMHO, the only reason to introduce the cookout kit is to cook before you have a kitchen because cooking outside the house once you have a kitchen is pointless.

Before 1.5 update all SV players in Spring Year 1 was forced live like Linus and to restore their stamina eat raw fish , foraging edibles , even searching trash cans in hope found some food . Cookout kit could change all of that , but alas , it's appear in the game way to late . Anyway , CA already change selling price for cookout kit so let's hope he also lowered foraging level , needed to get this very helpful early in the game device .

LRangerR

Local Legend
Perhaps significant changes to the gameplay wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I'm with @imnvs on this one, and his last sentence sums up how i feel quite nicely:
IMHO, the only reason to introduce the cookout kit is to cook before you have a kitchen because cooking outside the house once you have a kitchen is pointless.
As it stands there's absolutely zero reason for players to use this item, and the only reason they'd craft it would be for 100%. Yes, it might shake players up, but I think it would be a welcome change to gameplay for the vast majority of players.