[Spoilers] Can't figure out "unlocking" areas on Ginger Island

Chaya7

Planter
I don't know what the developer means on the Wiki when he says that all the other areas of the island need to be "unlocked" before getting the parrots to build a bar.

Also, he talks about a "parrot transport system," saying that it needs to be "unlocked" as well.

I don't have a clue what any of this means.

Elenna101

Farmer
You'll see some parrots sitting on perches around the island. If you give them golden walnuts, they'll build/open new features of the island for you. For example, a parrot will show up on the north side of the beach Willy brings you to, giving it 10 golden walnuts will let you go to the north side of the island. (If you don't see a parrot there, try exploring the parts that are open you you. Click on things, try to talk to things, and see what happens.)

Some of the parrots only show up after you've given walnuts to other parrots. E.g. the one that builds the bar won't show up until after you've given walnuts to open the north and west parts of the island (and maybe a few other things).

Another thing you'll eventually be able to unlock using walnuts is a quick-travel system to move around the island faster.

Chaya7

Planter
You'll see some parrots sitting on perches around the island. If you give them golden walnuts, they'll build/open new features of the island for you. ............
Some of the parrots only show up after you've given walnuts to other parrots. E.g. the one that builds the bar won't show up until after you've given walnuts to open the north and west parts of the island (and maybe a few other things).
Another thing you'll eventually be able to unlock using walnuts is a quick-travel system to move around the island faster.
But I still don't quite get it. I gave a few walnuts to a few parrots and I've visited all the areas of the island quite a number of times (except for the pirate cove, of course). I've fought all the way up the volcano and used the forge many times, visited the jungle and the farm and dig site and so on many times. So I would have thought all these areas were somehow "unlocked." But I don't see any parrot anywhere that I can pay to build the bar.

And the quick-travel system - am I supposed to "unlock" it by paying each of those parrots? Or do I pay a parrot for each and every trip I want to take? That's a whole lotta walnuts!

imnvs

Local Legend
You shouldn't be able to just give away walnuts to parrots, first off. You should only be giving them to parrots for things to be unlocked. You had to give some to the parrot at the beach in order to unlock the western side of the island and your farm space there. You had to give some to the parrot in order for the dig site to be unlocked. Some things can not be purchased from the parrots until other things have been purchased.

No, you do not have to give parrots walnuts for every trip. Once you unlock the Parrot Express, it remains unlocked and usable for free, just like the minecarts back in Pelican Town.

Cptldsilver

Planter
The bar parrot will appear in the beach area right above willys boat. I'm not sure what the prerequisites are for getting it to appear. Just keep collecting walnuts and unlocking until he shows up I guess

Ereo

Helper
The bar parrot will appear in the beach area right above willys boat. I'm not sure what the prerequisites are for getting it to appear. Just keep collecting walnuts and unlocking until he shows up I guess
The farmhouse needs to be there first. I don't think there are more prerequisites.

imnvs

Local Legend
I believe @Ereo is correct. If you want to unlock areas that the walnuts can be found in, your priorities should be the western farm space, the dig site, the hut, and then the resort (or "bar" as folks have been calling it here). The mail box, farm obelisk, parrot express, and volcano bridge can all wait.

The parrot express is pretty useful, though.

Chaya7

Planter
Thanks to all. Very valuable input. I hadn't even given a thought to the farmhouse, as it was the least of my priorities! I guess I would have been waiting forever for that parrot to appear on the beach. :laugh:

Odin

Staff member
I don't know what the developer means on the Wiki
Just wanted to mention that the wiki is edited and maintained by people that play the game, just like you and I, which is the way most wikis are written. That means anyone can contribute! It's not written by the developers.

Chaya7

Planter
Just wanted to mention that the wiki is edited and maintained by people that play the game, just like you and I, which is the way most wikis are written. That means anyone can contribute! It's not written by the developers.
Wow, I did not know that. Major props, then, to the brilliant people who figured out some of these things.