1.6 Update [Spoiler] Opinions on maximum skills

chemster

Newcomer
So is it just me, or is the foraging mastery underpowered compared to the other ones?

I love the trinkets that the combat mastery gives. (I haven't built a mini-forge yet, because I haven't done the necessary grinding needed to craft one, but I'm sure it will be awesome once I do.)

The farming mastery is also great. I love the Iridium Scythe, because that means I never have to bother with the skull cavern; the golden animal crackers are nice, and the statue of blessings is a bit random, but good overall.

Mining mastery not quite as exciting for me, but still worth it.

I'm not a huge fishing fan, so I haven't tried out the challenge bait , but the golden chests are fine, and the new rod is nice.

Foraging, though? It feels like the mystic tree seeds just exist to power the treasure totem , which is really meh to me. And the golden mystery boxes I actively dislike: it's another thing clogging my inventory, that I have to save up until I can track down Clint to pay to open... and what's in them hasn't been too exciting. Which is a pity, because foraging is actually one of my favorite activities in the game.

Bloodless

Sodbuster
I like the Trinkets but they drop way to often. I don't even go to the caves that often and I already have over a entire large chest full. It should have been a much rarer drop rate. It is to the point where I am trashing trinkets that I find. So your complaint about golden mystery boxes which at least stack. I have 3x the problem with trinkets and my inventory.

I love the sycthe, it makes your life easier without being overpowered. Golden animal crackers are great. They are another thing to collect for the farm that makes raising animals closer in profit late game compared to farming. Same with fishing, golden chests and the other new stuff has just made it more profitable in comparison to farming. Although i heard there was some game breaking stuff when it came to catching legendary fish.

Yes, foraging mastery is underwhelming but I have nothing to dislike about it.

chemster

Newcomer
I like the Trinkets but they drop way to often. I don't even go to the caves that often and I already have over a entire large chest full. It should have been a much rarer drop rate. It is to the point where I am trashing trinkets that I find. So your complaint about golden mystery boxes which at least stack. I have 3x the problem with trinkets and my inventory.
Good point about the trinkets. I guess the extra ones don't bother me as much, because I can quickly see what they are and get the cash for trashing them immediately, while the boxes are mystery . Maybe I'm giving up a prismatic shard! Maybe it'll be some seeds or clothing I don't care about. But I won't know until I track down Cliff and pay him to find out...

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The mystic trees can actually be really great alongside mushroom logs and can easily surpass crystalariums on per tile cash when in the right layouts albeit expensive in tree seeds (though it's not like crystalariums themselves aren't super expensive)

I agree with bloodster, while I don't really care for golden mystery boxes they are actually pretty nice to open in bulk vs trinkets which lose all use once you have your first one (or first one with maxed stats though those can just be rerolled), I personally wish it was a one time drop you could buy from the adventurers guild like a monster slayer goal.

Bloodless

Sodbuster
Good point about the trinkets. I guess the extra ones don't bother me as much, because I can quickly see what they are and get the cash for trashing them immediately, while the boxes are mystery . Maybe I'm giving up a prismatic shard! Maybe it'll be some seeds or clothing I don't care about. But I won't know until I track down Cliff and pay him to find out...
I get what you are saying about the known Vs. unknown of the inventory management. I guess it would depend on how many mystery boxes you mange to get whether it is a positive or negative. I think there actual purpose is to save you inventory space. Instead of those mediocre items that you would normally trash they now become stack-able within the box, making them more worthwhile taking up only one inventory slot. Then there is the bonus of the potential of one or multiple high quality items from the box, that you would have used for inventory space's anyways.

As for the trinkets, don't get me wrong they are a really cool item. But in my opinion a big missed opportunity, to the point of it being almost just bad. How frequently that they drop just makes no sense. It would have been the perfect Item to make hard to obtain. be it drop rate, paying large amounts of gold, whatever. But instead once you get one of each trinket,which will be extremely fast, the additional ones just become worthless, and a waste of space really. Jewels for example are at least stack-able, can be traded for other items, or given as gifts. Trinkets, would be one of the things on top of my list that would be extremely easy to vastly improve upon.

Benhimself

Rancher
My big issue with the foraging mastery is that once you finish the museum it doesn't really feel like much point to the treasure totems? Although mystic syrup does sell for 1000 gp and with heavy tappers you produce one every three days, that's not too bad a rate of return (With the tapper skill putting it to 1250 it's better than artisan ancient fruit wine if you're not cask-aging)

Has anyone done the math of best rates of return with treasure totems and treasure appraisal guides in various locations?

goboking

Rancher
To those of you saying the foraging mastery track is the weakest, does
"Golden mystery boxes now have a small chance to yield an auto petter"
from today's update change your opinion?

chemster

Newcomer
To those of you saying the foraging mastery track is the weakest, does
"Golden mystery boxes now have a small chance to yield an auto petter"
from today's update change your opinion?
YES! I love that thing (although the way I play, I only need one or two, which I've managed to acquire in other ways. But not in my current playthrough...)