Some help with Discord

MissDandy

Farmer
So I just joined Discord and I seriously have no idea what's going on. I want to eventually use it to play SDV with people on the forum but I think I need to know how to use it first. For example, what is a server? Is your server different than your account, or is it part of it? How can I find a certain community on there, or is that even possible? How do you talk with people? These are just some of my questions, but I'm seriously lost. If you have any tips or advice for Discord newbies, it would be greatly appreciated!

So there's a lot going on with the SDV discord and it's definitely challenging to keep up with. Discord is basically your gateway to different "boards" or "hubs" should you call them that, but mostly they're called rooms. Assuming we're talking about the same SDV discord, there's a Gameplay section where you can go into different rooms such as multiplayer-lfg (which stands for looking for group in case you didn't know). That's where you'd want to go to get a game set up when someone is available. There's also voice chat rooms where you just jump in and start talking to folks. I've included a few screen grabs to show you where the multiplayer-lfg room is and the voice chat room is. Please forgive the poor file names as I'm still waiting for the coffee to kick in. I hope this helps with some of your navigation.

Attachments

MissDandy

Farmer
So there's a lot going on with the SDV discord and it's definitely challenging to keep up with. Discord is basically your gateway to different "boards" or "hubs" should you call them that, but mostly they're called rooms. Assuming we're talking about the same SDV discord, there's a Gameplay section where you can go into different rooms such as multiplayer-lfg (which stands for looking for group in case you didn't know). That's where you'd want to go to get a game set up when someone is available. There's also voice chat rooms where you just jump in and start talking to folks. I've included a few screen grabs to show you where the multiplayer-lfg room is and the voice chat room is. Please forgive the poor file names as I'm still waiting for the coffee to kick in. I hope this helps with some of your navigation.
That's really helpful, thanks! I'll probably be using those screenshots a lot to help me navigate the app. Just wondering, how do you access the SDV discord? I have no clue where to type in a room you're interested in, like the main SDV one (I assume this is the one you shared in the photo?). Thank you so much for offering me some insight. It all seems so daunting at first!

liquidcat

Staff member
That's really helpful, thanks! I'll probably be using those screenshots a lot to help me navigate the app. Just wondering, how do you access the SDV discord? I have no clue where to type in a room you're interested in, like the main SDV one (I assume this is the one you shared in the photo?). Thank you so much for offering me some insight. It all seems so daunting at first!
You can find the main server here! https://discord.gg/stardewvalley . I think this might help you out https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034842871-How-do-I-join-a-server-

I completely feel you! Discord might seem like a lot of work at first but once you get used to it, its so convenient!

Last edited:
Glad the screen grabs might be able to help you get started 😀

Once you're in the Discord via the app on your phone, or PC, you can simply tap or click on the room you want to enter. Be warned though, since that's a busy discord server, you'll be greeted by walls of text from all the replies people have posted. I might recommend going to either the town-square, adventurers-guild, new-farmers or seasoned-farmers rooms and introduce yourself 😀

MissDandy

Farmer
You can mind the main server here! https://discord.gg/stardewvalley . I think this might help you out https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034842871-How-do-I-join-a-server-

I completely feel you! Discord might seem like a lot of work at first but once you get used to it, its so convenient!
Glad the screen grabs might be able to help you get started 😀

Once you're in the Discord via the app on your phone, or PC, you can simply tap or click on the room you want to enter. Be warned though, since that's a busy discord server, you'll be greeted by walls of text from all the replies people have posted. I might recommend going to either the town-square, adventurers-guild, new-farmers or seasoned-farmers rooms and introduce yourself 😀
Thank you guys so much!! I can't wait to become the part of the community on there!

Odin

Staff member
The most basic way to view discord is as a place to talk to other people, either directly or in groups.
For example, what is a server? Is your server different than your account, or is it part of it?
A server is a community of people who are all there to talk, usually about a particular theme. For example, the Stardew Valley server is a community for discussing the game, and related topics like game modding and fan art. Most servers also have spots for off topic discussion.

Much like these forums, servers will be divided into "channels" which usually have a specific topic. Each channel is a place for people to send messages, which display in real time.
How can I find a certain community on there, or is that even possible?
If you're using Discord as a desktop app or in your web browser, there is a button in the bottom left labelled "Explore Public Servers". In this section you can search for servers to join, but be aware that this does not display all servers, only ones that have a large number of people on them and have opted into being listed there. You can also find servers through sites like https://disboard.org/ or just by searching online.
How do you talk with people?
Once you've joined a server, you can send messages in channels, but you can also add people on Discord as a friend and message them directly. In the forum's LFG section, people will often include their Discord ID. You can use this ID to send them a friend request and talk to them directly.

I hope that answers the questions you had! I can certainly answer more if you have them. It sounds like you may have joined the Stardew server at this point, and you can of course ask questions there as well.

MissDandy

Farmer
I hope that answers the questions you had! I can certainly answer more if you have them. It sounds like you may have joined the Stardew server at this point, and you can of course ask questions there as well.
Yes thank you this really has made things a bit more clear! I have joined the SDV discord (I believe), and I saw your icon on there under active, so I figured I was in the right place. I feel like it will be a lot easier to play with people now If I ever decide to start a game and use discord to communicate. Thanks so much for answering my questions!!

Odin

Staff member
Yes thank you this really has made things a bit more clear! I have joined the SDV discord (I believe), and I saw your icon on there under active, so I figured I was in the right place. I feel like it will be a lot easier to play with people now If I ever decide to start a game and use discord to communicate. Thanks so much for answering my questions!!
Yep, you'll definitely see some familiar faces there! And no problem with the questions!