Skull cavern demise?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Bring an excess of food and eat as soon as you get even slightly hurt. Don't wait until your health bar turns yellow or orange. Especially don't try to save the food until your health goes red.

Note that the only possible debuff is from slimes, so consider a slime charmer ring.

If you're going for speed and can aim the slingshot, explosive ammo is your friend.

Personally, I also grind the volcano dungeon to prepare for skull cavern. I make sure to get enough loot to combine rings, upgrade to an infinity weapon, and enchant it with crusader. Also consider stacking defense - dragonscale boots if you've got the slime charmer, cinderclown shoes if you don't. Better equipment does make a difference.

Pumpkin soup is a good buff food (defense and luck) if you're having trouble. Don't forget to drink something, too, whether triple shot espresso for speed or ginger ale for additional luck.

Be sure to bring staircases, as you may wish to escape an infested floor.

I still don't really enjoy skull cavern runs, but keeping these tips in mind means I've never been killed there.

Lew Zealand

Helper
My Skull Cavern Kit for mostly guaranteed butt-saving:

Slime Charmer Ring to ignore Slimes forever, very important for staying focused
Iridium Ring for multi use esp. magnetism for quicker pickups
Space Boots or better
Galaxy Sword or better
150+ Stairs to get down to Level ~100 to start Bombing
50+ Bombs (aww I gave it away above)
40+ :goldstar: Cheese or your favorite Food
2-3 Spicy Eel for Speed and Luck
10+ Ginger Ale for more Luck

General strategies after Level ~100:

* Skip "good" looking loot levels before 100 unless they are both safe and very tasty-looking. There will be better ones later.
* Eat Cheese all the time. You get boo-boo, you eat teh Chez. No arguing! Chez is cheap, you are not.
* Skip infested Levels (with Stairs) or ones with too many monsters, especially Flying Serpent Knee Nibblers. I don't care what you saw on those Levels, there will be moar. SKIP!
* If you find a chill level, Bomb it anyway for a break. You deserve Booms, too.
* Remember to watch your Luck from Eel and Ale, you'll use most/all of both during one day's run. These really help for Treasure Rooms which are like free Levels plus L👀T!

PS: If you're a little later in-game, try replacing Spicy Eel + Ginger Ale with Lucky Lunch + Espresso (or Coffee) as Lucky Lunch gets you a LOT of Treasure Rooms.

Last edited:

Akuriko

Farmhand
when i do skull runs i usually just use stairs to treasure rooms and only bomb when I want to bomb, I find the qi special requests easier if you just have a stock pile of stairs on hand, otherwise I avoid avoid skull cavern unless I have to go in, lol

Miretar

Planter
i go into Skull Caverns for one thing only: iridium.
I have developed the following quick & dirty approach.

I take a galaxy saber, spicy eels, life elixir, purple quality berries, cherry bombs, black bombs & lots of stairs.

Experiment with the order of the objects in your backpack so that It works for you. For my strategy to be effective, you need to switch between your weapon and stairs very quickly.

Don’t fight if you don’t have to, Don’t run from the green flyers—stand still.
Don’t engage mummies—it’s too time consuming.

make sure you are buffed.
Reduce the size of the window so you can see as much of the level as is comfortable.

Now
Look.
Iridium-no move on. Ladder Down, Switch to weapon, rinse and repeat.