Settings for fishing accessibility.

noosim

Newcomer
I'd really like to see settings introduced to make fishing more accessible and easier for people with disabilities. I haven't caught a single fish in the whole time I've been playing, and I'm half way through my second year. I feel a little let down at how hard it is compared to everything else in the game.
Thanks for your consideration.

I'd really like to see settings introduced to make fishing more accessible and easier for people with disabilities. I haven't caught a single fish in the whole time I've been playing, and I'm half way through my second year. I feel a little let down at how hard it is compared to everything else in the game.
It's a bit tricky at the beginning when you have to click immediately after the info sound. The fishing game is then just training. But you can get a training rod from Willys ;-)

Quirinea

Farmer
If you are playing on computer, there are a lot of Fishing mods (some removing the minigame completely). Teh's Fishing overhaul and Fishing made Easy suite are my favourites.
If not there are some ways to get further:
Training rod was already mentioned.
Then ways to raise fishing level:
Make friends with Linus to get his bait recipe. Crab pot bundle can be fulfilled with four foraged items + crabs from Rock crabs. 15 points for fishing skill every day (from the 3 crab pots, until your fishing level gets up so you can buy or craft more)
Fish trash. From the pond in standard farm, after 8 PM in Calico. 3 points for each.

As you mentioned accessibility, I hope you're on -puter. I just suck at the minigame and play with "60 % easier" or the like.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Stardew Valley has been a very welcoming game to many but there has been a consistent series of requests to make the Fishing minigame more accessible to people with some disabilities, most haven't specified but I have to assume they are related to hands or general motor control.

I think one issue is it many not be clear what kind of accessibility change(s) will make the Fishing game playable for everyone. Not that the core minigame should be changed, that should stay the same. Instead CA probably needs some suggestions for what type of control changes you may need if you choose to play a more accessible version. And that's not just the OP here but everyone who has physical challenges when Fishing as a change that works for one person may not be adequate for another. Would a voice-activated control work? A different kind of motion? Maybe the Minigame itself would need to be changed to something completely different. I have the most minor physical limitations that don't affect Fishing (lol also not a game dev) so I can't think of good workarounds.

Ereo

Helper
Maybe an option to auto hook/auto catch could be included in the game settings, like auto attack on mobile. That would serve as a catch all to different kind of issues with both reaction time and motor control.

if that’s to overpowered, a catch probability (like a 95% chance to catch a carp when it’s hooked, but only 5% for a legendary?) could be added based on the fish difficulty level.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Sorry to hear you’re struggling with fishing, it’s a bit annoying how it’s hardest at the start as opposed to later on.

If you do want to try out fishing made a little easier in the base game try buying a training rod from Willy, it’s only 25g and only allows you to catch easy fish while also making it easier to catch them. And when you level up fishing enough using it you can start using another rod.

Other options include making a fish pond which will give fishing xp to level up with 0 actual fishing and once you are at level 3 fishing, using crab pots which will get you to level 10 in no time!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Maybe an option to auto hook/auto catch could be included in the game settings, like auto attack on mobile. That would serve as a catch all to different kind of issues with both reaction time and motor control.

if that’s to overpowered, a catch probability (like a 95% chance to catch a carp when it’s hooked, but only 5% for a legendary?) could be added based on the fish difficulty level.
Honestly it already exists, the first fish you catch has a bar that can’t go down. Just have the option to turn it on in the fishing menu or at Willy’s for example. It’s a bit more balanced than auto catch while also allowing you to feel like you’re actually catching fish.

My other option which I think would be even more balanced would allowing tackle on the training rod. It doesn’t allow hard fish (besides some exceptions due to the way it works) nor quality fish but a trap bobber with training rod would make even the hardest fish you can catch with it trivial.
The limits of the training rod would balance the versatility of bobbers. Most aren’t that useful in the first place and it would only have to be changed for the quality bobber. (Honestly it could just work with bobbers like cork and trap to keep it to its main use)

Turtles

Greenhorn
Stardew Valley has been a very welcoming game to many but there has been a consistent series of requests to make the Fishing minigame more accessible to people with some disabilities, most haven't specified but I have to assume they are related to hands or general motor control.

I think one issue is it many not be clear what kind of accessibility change(s) will make the Fishing game playable for everyone. Not that the core minigame should be changed, that should stay the same. Instead CA probably needs some suggestions for what type of control changes you may need if you choose to play a more accessible version. And that's not just the OP here but everyone who has physical challenges when Fishing as a change that works for one person may not be adequate for another. Would a voice-activated control work? A different kind of motion? Maybe the Minigame itself would need to be changed to something completely different. I have the most minor physical limitations that don't affect Fishing (lol also not a game dev) so I can't think of good workarounds.
I can give you more details on how my particular disability. I have MS, my immune system is eating away the covering of my neurons. It means my brain is full of exposed wires instead of functioning cables lol. This causes lots of different issues but relevant here is that signals from my brain get sent to the wrong places or go slowly, it causes dexterity issues and makes the type of clicking needed for fishing in the game virtually impossible. I have tried and it just ends up making the game frustrating and depressing. The opposite of what it’s intended.

There are a few things I can think of that might be helpful additions. Change the way the bar movement functions? Maybe have an option to change it to typing a code in instead of the speed clicking? Like in an order ACBS (just made up example there) and have it move with the fish if you hit the right letters in a reasonable (but please not overly speedy) amount of time. Maybe an option to change how the bar moves and make it incremental with clicks as the fish moves, instead of a speed click test that’s difficult for mouse and keyboard even without a disability. Like clicking up and down buttons as the bar moves without having it drop down when you let go? There’s always adding the native ability to turn off the fishing As someone with friends that don’t want to mod the game this would be incredibly helpful to at least be able to play with them and still take part in everything.

I appreciate that this discussion is even here. I hope something gets done soon, though I do know the amount of work it takes is not small.

LRangerR

Local Legend
What is your specific problem you're having? There are so many disabilities that, like Lew said, any information about your problem would be helpful to the devs.
I appreciate that this discussion is even here. I hope something gets done soon, though I do know the amount of work it takes is not small.
This is kind of a blanket tactic, and won't necessarily work for everyone, but if you can finish the crab pot bundle in the CC then you can spam crab pots to get your fishing skill up. This will increase your fishing bar and make fishing slightly easier for you until you can get better rods. Also a training rod may be helpful if you can manage that much. The crab pot bundle is one of those bundles that can be completed without fishing, all you need to do is catch one of them crabs in the mines. :crab:

Turtles

Greenhorn
What is your specific problem you're having? There are so many disabilities that, like Lew said, any information about your problem would be helpful to the devs.

This is kind of a blanket tactic, and won't necessarily work for everyone, but if you can finish the crab pot bundle in the CC then you can spam crab pots to get your fishing skill up. This will increase your fishing bar and make fishing slightly easier for you until you can get better rods. Also a training rod may be helpful if you can manage that much. The crab pot bundle is one of those bundles that can be completed without fishing, all you need to do is catch one of them crabs in the mines. :crab:
Yeah I’m trying things like that. It’s just frustrating. I know it’s hard for people without disabilities to understand, what happens when your body does the opposite of what you tell it to. It goes beyond the game in that you are constantly working harder to simple tasks while already having little energy and just wanting to have some fun. It turns into an emotional thing too when the game is supposed to be what gives you a bit of distraction from these realities. Not to get dramatic about it. And everyone is different. Just some explaination as to why it’s important is all. That we feel left behind in the world when just a few changes could help us and wouldn’t hurt anyone else ya know.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Yeah I’m trying things like that. It’s just frustrating. I know it’s hard for people without disabilities to understand, what happens when your body does the opposite of what you tell it to. It goes beyond the game in that you are constantly working harder to simple tasks while already having little energy and just wanting to have some fun. It turns into an emotional thing too when the game is supposed to be what gives you a bit of distraction from these realities. Not to get dramatic about it. And everyone is different. Just some explaination as to why it’s important is all. That we feel left behind in the world when just a few changes could help us and wouldn’t hurt anyone else ya know.
I actually do understand, just maybe not as much as you want me to. I used to be pretty deep into the miniatures scene, Warhammer 40k to be specific, and I met some people with Parkinsons and maybe MS that said painting miniatures was both therapeutic and for some healing as well. I'm not telling you to get into a game that you can't afford, 40k is intentionally expensive, but perhaps picking up a hobby that is conducive to your disability may help. And if you wanted to share your progress here in the off topic section, or anybody really, I would love to see how whatever new hobby you pick up helps you progress. Just know that with painting miniatures, don't expect to be good at it. I don't have any disabilities, and I was awful at it at the start, but I eventually got to the point where my models impressed many of the people who saw them, and I don't think they were being placating with their remarks. So if you need any intermediate level pointers, I could try to help you out if that's the route you decide to take.

Turtles

Greenhorn
I actually do understand, just maybe not as much as you want me to. I used to be pretty deep into the miniatures scene, Warhammer 40k to be specific, and I met some people with Parkinsons and maybe MS that said painting miniatures was both therapeutic and for some healing as well. I'm not telling you to get into a game that you can't afford, 40k is intentionally expensive, but perhaps picking up a hobby that is conducive to your disability may help. And if you wanted to share your progress here in the off topic section, or anybody really, I would love to see how whatever new hobby you pick up helps you progress. Just know that with painting miniatures, don't expect to be good at it. I don't have any disabilities, and I was awful at it at the start, but I eventually got to the point where my models impressed many of the people who saw them, and I don't think they were being placating with their remarks. So if you need any intermediate level pointers, I could try to help you out if that's the route you decide to take.
Thank you for the thoughtful and kind words! Seriously. I’ve actually been working on some digital art work in this vein. I’m not great but learning and seeing my progress has been so good for the soul! What you said is so true.. it’s been really therapeutic. I bet your models look awesome! I would love to share in off topic and would love to see some of your models too if you feel like sharing! It’s funny cause gaming has also kinda become my outlet. I wasn’t a gamer growing up so there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge people I play with find funny. But it’s really gotten me through stuff and I’ve met some great people. Like this post, for example, it’s great to hear others stories and how they cope with things and discover awesome sides of themselves. Thank you for sharing 💜

I also just wanna clarify that I’m not trying to be woe is me when it comes to the fishing or the game. I just never know how to express how impactful adding accessibility can be so I share my personal feelings cause I don’t want to speak for others. It’s been a discussion with several games I play that have refused to add any options and are fully funded and capable. I hear so many saying “well then play something else” which ok.. but at some point there’s nothing to play. This is not the situation here.

Anyway I’m babbling but my point is I don’t feel like accessibility was purposefully left out in any way. One person can only do so much and I have so much respect for the work and commitment put into this game.

💜🐢💪

Zalasta

Newcomer
I actually have a different problem that prevents me from playing the fishing game. This is actually a recent issue for me that has just developed. I have developed a macular edema in my only good eye, and because of that, parts of my vision are simply blank spots I can't see anything in, and unfortunately, they reside near or around the center of my vision. Consequently, when the fishing bar moves, I will occasionally lose it in blind spots and have to scramble to try and find it again, then center it on the fish, only to lose it again as it falls out of my field of good vision.
This is especially frustrating because previos to being afflicted by this, fishing was one of my favorite activities in game, but now it has essentially become all but impossible, and I don't think I will be able to complete the community center bundles unless I cna manage to buy all of the fish that don't require a crab pot, as getting better rods with bigger bars won't actually resolve the problem of it vanishing into my blind spots.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Oh dear. That does not sound like fun.

You probably did not notice since you were able to fish, but I found that many of the fish required for the community center can be bought or sometimes even found in trash cans. I bought all of the harder difficulty fish in my first save, except for the eel, which appeared in the traveling cart the week after I finally caught one.

Like the option to guarantee year one cc completion, I suggest creating an option when creating new games that ensures that all required fish become available for purchase in some way. That would make them accessible to anyone, no matter the problem. At least it offers an alternative to swapping over to the Joja route (which I seriously considered for some time, because I was incredibly bad at fishing, and those autopetters were very tempting).

LRangerR

Local Legend
Thank you for the thoughtful and kind words! Seriously. I’ve actually been working on some digital art work in this vein. I’m not great but learning and seeing my progress has been so good for the soul! What you said is so true.. it’s been really therapeutic. I bet your models look awesome! I would love to share in off topic and would love to see some of your models too if you feel like sharing!
Woops, missed this one. Unfortunately, I lost all my models when i moved a few years ago. If i ever get back into the hobby again though you can rest assured that I would definitely share them here =)