Settings for fishing accessibility.

noosim

Newcomer
I'd really like to see settings introduced to make fishing more accessible and easier for people with disabilities. I haven't caught a single fish in the whole time I've been playing, and I'm half way through my second year. I feel a little let down at how hard it is compared to everything else in the game.
Thanks for your consideration.
 
I'd really like to see settings introduced to make fishing more accessible and easier for people with disabilities. I haven't caught a single fish in the whole time I've been playing, and I'm half way through my second year. I feel a little let down at how hard it is compared to everything else in the game.
Thanks for your consideration.
It's a bit tricky at the beginning when you have to click immediately after the info sound. The fishing game is then just training. But you can get a training rod from Willys ;-)
 

Quirinea

Farmer
I'd really like to see settings introduced to make fishing more accessible and easier for people with disabilities. I haven't caught a single fish in the whole time I've been playing, and I'm half way through my second year. I feel a little let down at how hard it is compared to everything else in the game.
Thanks for your consideration.
If you are playing on computer, there are a lot of Fishing mods (some removing the minigame completely). Teh's Fishing overhaul and Fishing made Easy suite are my favourites.
If not there are some ways to get further:
Training rod was already mentioned.
Then ways to raise fishing level:
Make friends with Linus to get his bait recipe. Crab pot bundle can be fulfilled with four foraged items + crabs from Rock crabs. 15 points for fishing skill every day (from the 3 crab pots, until your fishing level gets up so you can buy or craft more)
Fish trash. From the pond in standard farm, after 8 PM in Calico. 3 points for each.

As you mentioned accessibility, I hope you're on -puter. I just suck at the minigame and play with "60 % easier" or the like.
 

Lew Zealand

Helper
Stardew Valley has been a very welcoming game to many but there has been a consistent series of requests to make the Fishing minigame more accessible to people with some disabilities, most haven't specified but I have to assume they are related to hands or general motor control.

I think one issue is it many not be clear what kind of accessibility change(s) will make the Fishing game playable for everyone. Not that the core minigame should be changed, that should stay the same. Instead CA probably needs some suggestions for what type of control changes you may need if you choose to play a more accessible version. And that's not just the OP here but everyone who has physical challenges when Fishing as a change that works for one person may not be adequate for another. Would a voice-activated control work? A different kind of motion? Maybe the Minigame itself would need to be changed to something completely different. I have the most minor physical limitations that don't affect Fishing (lol also not a game dev) so I can't think of good workarounds.
 

Ereo

Helper
Maybe an option to auto hook/auto catch could be included in the game settings, like auto attack on mobile. That would serve as a catch all to different kind of issues with both reaction time and motor control.

if that’s to overpowered, a catch probability (like a 95% chance to catch a carp when it’s hooked, but only 5% for a legendary?) could be added based on the fish difficulty level.
 

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Sorry to hear you’re struggling with fishing, it’s a bit annoying how it’s hardest at the start as opposed to later on.

If you do want to try out fishing made a little easier in the base game try buying a training rod from Willy, it’s only 25g and only allows you to catch easy fish while also making it easier to catch them. And when you level up fishing enough using it you can start using another rod.

Other options include making a fish pond which will give fishing xp to level up with 0 actual fishing and once you are at level 3 fishing, using crab pots which will get you to level 10 in no time!
 

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Maybe an option to auto hook/auto catch could be included in the game settings, like auto attack on mobile. That would serve as a catch all to different kind of issues with both reaction time and motor control.

if that’s to overpowered, a catch probability (like a 95% chance to catch a carp when it’s hooked, but only 5% for a legendary?) could be added based on the fish difficulty level.
Honestly it already exists, the first fish you catch has a bar that can’t go down. Just have the option to turn it on in the fishing menu or at Willy’s for example. It’s a bit more balanced than auto catch while also allowing you to feel like you’re actually catching fish.

My other option which I think would be even more balanced would allowing tackle on the training rod. It doesn’t allow hard fish (besides some exceptions due to the way it works) nor quality fish but a trap bobber with training rod would make even the hardest fish you can catch with it trivial.
The limits of the training rod would balance the versatility of bobbers. Most aren’t that useful in the first place and it would only have to be changed for the quality bobber. (Honestly it could just work with bobbers like cork and trap to keep it to its main use)
 
Top