Separate Tool Hot Bar

AnalogMan

Greenhorn
Having just tried Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, a remake of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town which Stardew Valley was based on, there is one feature I feel would really improve the QOL of the game.
In Story of Seasons the tools are on their own separate hot bar in the corner of the screen. You start with 4 open slots and it expands with each back pack upgrade to a total of 12. Considering we have 9 tools as it is now (axe, pickaxe, watering can, scythe, hoe, copper pan, milk bucket, shears) I feel that almost the whole first row of my back pack is just tools. This would be a way to give us more back pack space without another upgrade and let us carry all our tools without having to stash them, go somewhere, remember we don't have them, go all the way back, etc. It would also allow ConcernedApe to introduce more tools without having to balance bag space concerns.

How it works: The control scheme used by Story of Seasons is that the left and right d-pad buttons cycle through tools while left and right on the right analog stick cycle through bag items. This could be changed to something like one of the "Shift Toolbar" buttons is repurposed to "Change Tool" and the tool hot bar only cycles in one direction.

Notes: I didn't include fishing pole or your weapon as a "tool" because they don't upgrade like tools do, can be lost in the mines, and you can have multiple fishing pole types and weapon types at once.

Ellajoy

Rancher
Having just tried Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, a remake of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town which Stardew Valley was based on, there is one feature I feel would really improve the QOL of the game.
In Story of Seasons the tools are on their own separate hot bar in the corner of the screen. You start with 4 open slots and it expands with each back pack upgrade to a total of 12. Considering we have 9 tools as it is now (axe, pickaxe, watering can, scythe, hoe, copper pan, milk bucket, shears) I feel that almost the whole first row of my back pack is just tools. This would be a way to give us more back pack space without another upgrade and let us carry all our tools without having to stash them, go somewhere, remember we don't have them, go all the way back, etc. It would also allow ConcernedApe to introduce more tools without having to balance bag space concerns.

How it works: The control scheme used by Story of Seasons is that the left and right d-pad buttons cycle through tools while left and right on the right analog stick cycle through bag items. This could be changed to something like one of the "Shift Toolbar" buttons is repurposed to "Change Tool" and the tool hot bar only cycles in one direction.

Notes: I didn't include fishing pole or your weapon as a "tool" because they don't upgrade like tools do, can be lost in the mines, and you can have multiple fishing pole types and weapon types at once.
That is a great idea! I never thought about it before.
(I only have 1-3 tools in my inventory at a time(including the fishing pole))

Odin

Staff member
On PC and console you can actually switch between rows of your inventory, which lets you quickly get to pretty much any item you're carrying :)

AnalogMan

Greenhorn
On PC and console you can actually switch between rows of your inventory, which lets you quickly get to pretty much any item you're carrying :)
Yes, it's mentioned in the OP. I suggested repurposing one of those buttons (since there's two) to cycling the hypothetical tool hot bar.