Solved Save wont load

LueIsBlue

Greenhorn
Whenever I try to load my save the game just crashes while at the loading screen
these are the error logs if someone can help me

InnerException: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 172226).
---> System.Xml.XmlException: The 'frawility' start tag on line 1 position 172213 does not match the end tag of 'fragility'. Line 1, position 172226.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip()
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.UnknownNode(Object o, String qnames)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read97_Object(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read98_Object()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at StardewValley.SerializableDictionary`2.ReadXml(XmlReader reader) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SerializableDictionary.cs:line 113
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadSerializable(IXmlSerializable serializable, Boolean wrappedAny)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read113_Farm(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read190_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read237_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read238_SaveGame()
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1507
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6296
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4895
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3963
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1067
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 814
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 567
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\SDL\SDLGamePlatform.cs:line 91
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 481
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics
OS: Win32NT Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
In-game Date: spring 0 Y1 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: null

It's not 100% clear which XML is being referenced, but from all appearances it's your save game, based on the described symptoms and line size referenced. The file is corrupt, what should be "fragility" is somehow "frawility". Here's how to fix it.

Click on your windows logo, search for "run", hit enter, type "%appdata%\StardewValley\Saves" (without the quotes), hit enter. Find the folder which matches your farm name, double click to open. Right click on the big file with the same name as your farm and without the _old at the end, choose "open with", click on "notepad", then "ok".

Once the file is open, click on the "edit" menu, then "find". Type in "Frawility" (again without the quotes), and hit "find next". The result should be highlighted. Change the "w" in it to a "g", then choose "file", then "save". Try opening Stardew Valley and opening the save again. Ignore any errors about Steam not being able to sync your saves. Hopefully it'll work!

If not, option 2 is to restore the backup. To do that, you would go back to that save folder, make a copy of your save file and paste it somewhere else just in case, then delete it from the saves folder. Right click on the one with "_old" and "rename". Get rid of the "_old" at the end, so it's named the same as your main save file was. Then try again. If that works you'll have lost a day, so hopefully option 1 works, but hey it's better than starting over entirely, right?

Anyway best of luck! Let me know if either of those work.

LueIsBlue

Greenhorn
It's not 100% clear which XML is being referenced, but from all appearances it's your save game, based on the described symptoms and line size referenced. The file is corrupt, what should be "fragility" is somehow "frawility". Here's how to fix it.

Click on your windows logo, search for "run", hit enter, type "%appdata%\StardewValley\Saves" (without the quotes), hit enter. Find the folder which matches your farm name, double click to open. Right click on the big file with the same name as your farm and without the _old at the end, choose "open with", click on "notepad", then "ok".

Once the file is open, click on the "edit" menu, then "find". Type in "Frawility" (again without the quotes), and hit "find next". The result should be highlighted. Change the "w" in it to a "g", then choose "file", then "save". Try opening Stardew Valley and opening the save again. Ignore any errors about Steam not being able to sync your saves. Hopefully it'll work!

If not, option 2 is to restore the backup. To do that, you would go back to that save folder, make a copy of your save file and paste it somewhere else just in case, then delete it from the saves folder. Right click on the one with "_old" and "rename". Get rid of the "_old" at the end, so it's named the same as your main save file was. Then try again. If that works you'll have lost a day, so hopefully option 1 works, but hey it's better than starting over entirely, right?

Anyway best of luck! Let me know if either of those work.
Thanks dude, it worked, I was gonna be sad for my most worked on farm being lost but you helped me. Again, thanks.

haxxorbunny

Greenhorn
I have this exact problem exept it says: The 'Farmer' start tag on line 1 position 40 does not match the end tag of 'string'. Line 1, position 82142
could anyone help me?

OverRush

Newcomer
Hello! i have the same problem but im missing a file! here is an error report!

InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'.
File name: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'
at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.PlatformOpenStream(String safeName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\TitleContainer.Desktop.cs:line 29
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\TitleContainer.cs:line 37
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 276
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1828
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6307
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4906
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3974
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1067
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 814
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 567
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\SDL\SDLGamePlatform.cs:line 91
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 481
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2
In-game Date: winter 11 Y5 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: FarmHouse

I don't know where to find the missing file, im on new Laptop and i don't have access to my old PC anymore :( I tried with running with a backup but it still won't work. I did reinstall the game TWICE and it didn't work aswell. Can anyone help? How do i restore the file?

Edit: I have 2 other saves that won't run because the missing file is Morris Todd. On those saves i used SMAPI and had mods but on my new laptop i don't have either smapi or mods anymore. Can anybody help please????

Last edited: