Registration & Spam

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
HEY, long time no see! I hope y'all are excited for the 1.6 update coming out sometime soon!! I'll definitely make another announcement post when it is time, but until then, a relevant topic to this forum:

Spam...

I wanted to first apologize to all the new members who took longer to register (due to needing moderator approval) and members who have been falsely flagged as spam-- whenever manual approvals are turned off, we get a flood of spam and the precautions we take with our spam filter has to evolve along with the spam itself (which is very difficult to do, unfortunately). We're looking into how to better deal with this, because neither option is ideal; we don't want people to wait until a moderator is online to be fully registered, but at the same time, we don't want a new member's first experience to see the forums flooded with advertisements.

Until we get a much better filter, I'm turning off manual approval (so you should be able to register freely) and I'm going to check a bit more frequently than my usual. We also have two active, regular members who have been given the 'Helper' title and should be able to remove spam when a moderator isn't around, increasing the times we're able to keep the forums clean. Thank you for your patience while we figure this situation out and I'm really, really sorry for the negative impact this spam may have in your time on the forums.

Additionally, I wanted to let you all know that there is now an additional disclaimer when you register a new account. While you no longer need moderator approval to join the forums, you DO need to confirm your email, so you will get an automatic email from the forums with a confirmation link. This is not spam! Please do not mark these emails as spam. If you're getting unwanted messages from the site, please let me know.

Thank you very much for reading! I hope you're all having a lovely new year and I'm excited to get to talk to you more when the next update rolls out this year.