Real salmonberry plant

Randoplants

Farmhand
I had no idea they were a real thing, thanks for the pictures. And since A=B and B=C so A=C, Wizards and lil leggy apples and Parrots and Prismatic Shards and Caroline are all real things, too!
There is still loads of unexplored, unbothered land in the Pacific Northwest, so Junimos could be out there - dancing around with bigfoot :D

Randoplants

Farmhand
Thanks for sharing! I'm from the other coast and actually thought the salmonberries were invented for the game for the longest time. Nice to see what the plant actually looks like.
I posted this on a Stardew Valley reddit, and someone else said the same thing. Very glad to share one of my fav native plants!

They’re one of 4 native bramble plants (blackberry family), and they all blossom & put out fruit at slightly different times. Salmonberry goes first, then I think it’s a tie between thimbleberry (like a very delicate raspberry), trailing blackberry (a smaller variety of blackberry that looks like garlands of stars on the sides of trails), and raspberries.

Quirinea

Farmer
Can you describe the taste? We have (in Finland) native raspberries and then Arctic bramble (I remember there were flowers were I grew up in Lapland but never berries), and cloudberries. The pale yellow delicate little one growing on marshes. The cloudberry rush was a yearly event...

astatine210

Rancher
I live in the Pacific Northwest, and right now is when all the bramble plants are putting out flowers and starting to form berries. This is the salmonberry plant, which puts out bright magenta flowers. (The one in this pic is a little faded in color.View attachment 16038
This second photo is from earlier in the season.
View attachment 16039
Holy smokies, when I was living on the west coast i totally thought these were raspberry plants.... LOL thanks for the tidbit of info! #youlearnsomethingneweveryday

Randoplants

Farmhand
Can you describe the taste? We have (in Finland) native raspberries and then Arctic bramble (I remember there were flowers were I grew up in Lapland but never berries), and cloudberries. The pale yellow delicate little one growing on marshes. The cloudberry rush was a yearly event...
They taste very similar to raspberries, I think a bit more mild but with just a teeny bit of tartness. I missed out on foraging for them a few years, so am having trouble rememberinf exactly. (And I think the first two I tried were not ripe enough because they were a little bitter.)

There is another native bramble plant called thimbleberries that puts out flowers and berries shortly after the salmonberries. (That’s the one in the pic I’ve attached.) They also taste very similar to raspberries, and their skin is soft but not smooth. They are wide enough that you can stick them on the ends of your fingers (which is always fun, no matter how many times I do it), but they are so delicate that there seems to be no way to gather them without crushing them. I have one I’m trying to grow from a cutting because unlike other bramble plants, their thorns are so tiny that they just feel coarsely fuzzy - so I won’t have to risk poking myself on them while arranging plants on my balcony.

I am obsessed with cloudberries! I used to see what turned out to be creeping raspberry, which looks very similar to photos of cloudberries I’ve seen. Creeping raspberries are very bland, though, so have only seen them used as groundcover for landscaping.
I am obsessed with cloudberries! I used to see what turned out to be creeping raspberry, which looks very similar to photos of cloudberries I’ve seen. Creeping raspberries are very bland, though, so have only seen them used as groundcover for landscaping.

I spent a few years trying to get ahold of cloudberry plants to try and experiment with temperature control techniques to see if I could get them to grow. Alas, I could only get seeds and haven’t been able to plant them yet. So when I am set up for them, if any of the seeds are successful it’ll take 8 years before they mature enough to see if the plants are male or female.

Attachments

Last edited:

Randoplants

Farmhand
Holy smokies, when I was living on the west coast i totally thought these were raspberry plants.... LOL thanks for the tidbit of info! #youlearnsomethingneweveryday
They look very similar! Brambles in general were the first plant family I learned to identify, because the leaves and fruits look so similar. Like the raw salmonberries look to me exactly like raw blackberries.

There are loads of himalayan blackberries, which are a delicious invasive species around here. But I kept hearing that there was at least one native variety around. Took me forever to find it, it’s called trailing blackberry. Extremely similar leaves and berries, and though it’s smaller, himalayan blackberry plants can be small when young. I’m including some photos of those. Before I knew what they were and saw the flowers, I thought of them as ‘star garlands,’ because especially when there’s just one hanging out by itself, to me it looks like some kind of fairy decoration

Attachments

Godkin

Planter
In the hidden civilization of the Pacific Northwest, there was a time when thorns roamed the world, emitting bright magenta flowers. Among them, there is a mysterious plant known as salmonberry, which gives off a magical charm. (In this photo, however, the colors are faded, leaving an unsolved mystery.)

Bawby

Planter
I don't know folks, these berries don't look too safe. (This post paid for by the Elliot-Evelyn-Caroline-Harvey "Salmonberries are the Devil's Fruit" Alliance.)