Rando free video games from childhood

Confused

Rancher
So like... When I was a kid, I played random free games that I could find online.

I'd find game sites like MAD.games or Girls Go Games, or I'd discover MMO-styled games like Toon Town or Club Penguin.

But what games did you find as a kid? What kinds of Online game worlds did you play for three months then stopped because you couldn't shell out thirty bucks for a membership?-

IamDylan

Tiller
Time to age myself! Super Solvers Mission T.H.I.N.K. was my favorite game to play on my elementary computers. You'd go around collecting things and pieces for the board game boss fight at the end of each level after challenging the boss to some mini games first. I think it started my love for board games and strategy types. Gizmos and gadgets was another one, but it was more difficult. Personal computers weren't really a household thing until I graduated elementary so my games were pretty much limited to the free games preinstalled on the school's bulky slow 90's computers lol.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Used to go outside and play games with the neighbours 😃

Oh.. computer games? Hmm, this was before those expensive gadgets, but I spent a lot of time playing Tetris on Gameboy. It was fun and challenging, and when you got far enough it would play instruments for you, violins or something like that.

This was on a friend's computer and I have no clue what the game was called, but it was similar to the mini-game on BioShock, where you string lots of pieces of pipes together, until it got very big and kinda filled the screen. A bit like Snake I suppose. Which come to think of it, was a big pastime on those early Nokia mobiles. Unlike the "built to not last very long" versions of today, you could almost use those as a hammer around the house.

NextPaige

Planter
So like... When I was a kid, I played random free games that I could find online.

I'd find game sites like MAD.games or Girls Go Games, or I'd discover MMO-styled games like Toon Town or Club Penguin.

But what games did you find as a kid? What kinds of Online game worlds did you play for three months then stopped because you couldn't shell out thirty bucks for a membership?-
When I was younger I played games like Wizard101, Pirate101, Bad Piggies, Pixel Gun 3D, and Adventure Quest! Those games are great and I highly recommend them if you want to play something new and you’re broke.

I was an adult but I liked those kinds of games a lot. I loved Sugar Sugar, Diner Dash, Cake Mania, and I played a lot of babysitting/pet care games. But my favorite was Save Kaleidoscopic Reef.
I used to play OurWorld. I had an awesome apartment, tons of clothes, roller skates, and wings and little pets.
And it wasn't a game but I loved Polyvore so much. It was a fashion website with this amazing collage making toy. Not only did it have a huge library of images to use, but you could clip any image from any website to add to the library. So you could make any kind of collage you wanted. It was so fun.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Probably younger than quite a few here but a lot of the really early games when better smartphones were releasing, didn’t matter what it was, as long as it was free I’d play it.

most of my time as a kid was spent outside though, I almost never really got on devices as a pastime.

SigmaRoot

Greenhorn
Like many people here, I played a variety of games that I found for free. However, sometimes I had to play already built-in games on the computer itself. These mainly were card games, so I quickly got bored. So I found matches like the ones you described. One of my all-time favorites was Farm, where I had to run a farm. This game captivated me and provoked the development of strategic thinking. What I played as a child reminds me of similar games https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2021/05/the-top-6-old-school-runescape-minigames-worth-the-grind/. I would also be interested to know what modern games are identical to Farm.

Last edited:

astatine210

Rancher
Does anyone remember the snake game that used to be included on super old Nokia cell phones back in the day…? Hmmmm am I aging myself again……?

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
When I was a kid the internet was really just taking off, and there were a lot of games out there -- some were played in browsers, like "Helicopter.swf". That one is still around: you hold down the left mouse button to make the helicopter go up, and then let go to let it go down. You are flying the copter through a long tunnel with obstacles jutting out from the roof and from the floor, and have to weave through them. It's a bit like the fishing in Stardew! I also remember a Snowball Fight flash game in which there are two teams, dressed in parkas like Kenny on South Park, and you have to click on your squad members to have them throw snowballs at the other team, while also moving them out of the enemy's snowball's way. Then there was neopets, but I was much more into CD games....The Sims, SimCity 2000 ,etc. There were also some free downloadable DOS games that would still run well on a Windows 98 machine, like Skyroads. The music from Skyroads will still run in my head sometimes. That one is a browser game now.

My first cellphone was my brother's Nokia but supposedly the texting on it was broken. All I could do was call people and play Snake lol
I do! And that reminds me of another downloadable flash game, Pizza Worm. It was the same exact approach as snake, but the background was a pizza parlor, and the worm got longer with every pizza it ate.

Last edited:

honeybucket

Greenhorn
Oh my gosh, flash games and browser-based online worlds raised me. I used GirlsGoGames from 2005/06-2010. I used to find tons of flash game websites back when they were everywhere, but GGG was my favorite and the most memorable. I've played tons of random and obscure browser-based Shockwave chat worlds during my childhood, and many of them are long gone now, it was always sad to see the user base dwindle before the game shut down.