1.6 Update Question about Ginger Island farm

Ereo

Helper
You need to have the ground around them completely free. Take away the floor/path and they’ll grow.

Zangdar

Greenhorn
Okay, I understand, but it's weird, I thought my trees grew without this limitation, including on my original farm. :sweat:

Odyssey

Tiller
Okay, I understand, but it's weird, I thought my trees grew without this limitation, including on my original farm. :sweat:
Pine, oak, maple and mahogany trees (and presumably the new 1.6 trees) do work that way, but fruit saplings need the ground around them completely clear in order to grow.

Zangdar

Greenhorn
Pine, oak, maple and mahogany trees (and presumably the new 1.6 trees) do work that way, but fruit saplings need the ground around them completely clear in order to grow.
Thank you for this clarification. There is therefore a problem of consistency in the gameplay and/or a problem of lack of information.

Fruit trees therefore need to be planted without there being any object within a radius of 1 square. They cannot benefit from tree fertilizer.

Perhaps we should systematically inform players that the young fruit tree.

Sample: Cherry Sapling
Takes 28 days to produce a mature Cherry tree. Bears fruit in the spring. Only grows if the 8 surrounding "tiles" are empty.

Sample: Mango Sapling
"Takes 28 days to produce a mature Mango tree. Bears fruit in the summer, or all year round when planted on Ginger Island."
Only grows if the 8 surrounding "tiles" are empty. is a mention that does not appear :george:

It would seem more coherent, relevant and logical to me to do: - Either we inform the player systematically, including for mango and banana trees. As for apple trees, cherry trees, etc. - Either we update the gameplay, and we remove this restriction on empty squares around fruit trees.

My 2 cents :demetrius:

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Thank you for this clarification. There is therefore a problem of consistency in the gameplay and/or a problem of lack of information.

Fruit trees therefore need to be planted without there being any object within a radius of 1 square. They cannot benefit from tree fertilizer.

Perhaps we should systematically inform players that the young fruit tree.

Sample: Cherry Sapling
Takes 28 days to produce a mature Cherry tree. Bears fruit in the spring. Only grows if the 8 surrounding "tiles" are empty.

Sample: Mango Sapling
"Takes 28 days to produce a mature Mango tree. Bears fruit in the summer, or all year round when planted on Ginger Island."
Only grows if the 8 surrounding "tiles" are empty. is a mention that does not appear :george:

It would seem more coherent, relevant and logical to me to do: - Either we inform the player systematically, including for mango and banana trees. As for apple trees, cherry trees, etc. - Either we update the gameplay, and we remove this restriction on empty squares around fruit trees.

My 2 cents :demetrius:
Yes it does appear? it’s only the banana and mango saplings which don’t, here is the description for orange sapling:
“Takes 28 days to produce a mature Orange tree. Bears fruit in the summer. Only grows if the 8 surrounding "tiles" are empty.”

this is only an issue if the first tree a player plants is on ginger island and even then it’s rather minor.
It’s also something mentioned on the wiki and in game through the television iirc, as well as it being a very easy issue to troubleshoot.
The game can’t guide you through absolutely everything, it’s trial and error.

Zangdar

Greenhorn
Yes, you are right to point out this oversight, the mention appears for the orange tree. The question I ask remains the same, that of knowing why this mention is present on other fruit trees except for the mango tree and the banana tree where this mention is absent.

Furthermore, it is said about mango and banana trees that you will get fruit all year round on Ginger Island. But what about other fruit trees? Will we get apples, cherries, oranges, apricots, etc. all year round? Will these fruit trees grow in 28 days on Ginger Island or not?

The fact is that the answer to his questions is not clear, this created an inconsistency.

Likewise, fertilizers are said to work for seed trees but not for fruit trees. Why want to complicate and discriminate gameplay mechanics for fruit trees and not for seed trees? Why have developers introduced fertilizers for seed trees and no fertilizers that only work for fruit trees?

This created inconsistency. I say this as a player.

I (as player) was surprised that the limitation was not mentioned for banana and mango trees, so for me it was going to grow. Some mornings when I woke up, I had the mention that my mango tree had not been able to grow the day before, but without any explanation. In the absence of this explanation, I believed that the shrubs did not grow on rainy days. And then when the weather was nice, the message was still only displayed for the mango trees, and not for the banana trees.

In short, certainly in my message previous to yours, I spoke following my habits of experience as a beta tester (oriented "quality checker") on other games where I report this type of inconsistency to the developer teams, on the defects of information to players.

But the basic problem is true.

There is maybe a lack of information or a problem of consistency in the gameplay.

Usually, when a game is well designed, a player should be able to understand the game without needing to read a source of information outside of the game. :blush:

---

edit :
Another example where I don't know why the tree isn't growing. The other 7 mystical trees grew, but not the eighth (in front of my avatar)
However, all the tiles around are clear, there are no stones or objects blocking the growth.

Last edited:

ArtifactSpot

Yes, you are right to point out this oversight, the mention appears for the orange tree. The question I ask remains the same, that of knowing why this mention is present on other fruit trees except for the mango tree and the banana tree where this mention is absent.

Furthermore, it is said about mango and banana trees that you will get fruit all year round on Ginger Island. But what about other fruit trees? Will we get apples, cherries, oranges, apricots, etc. all year round? Will these fruit trees grow in 28 days on Ginger Island or not?

The fact is that the answer to his questions is not clear, this created an inconsistency.

Likewise, fertilizers are said to work for seed trees but not for fruit trees. Why want to complicate and discriminate gameplay mechanics for fruit trees and not for seed trees? Why have developers introduced fertilizers for seed trees and no fertilizers that only work for fruit trees?

This created inconsistency. I say this as a player.

I (as player) was surprised that the limitation was not mentioned for banana and mango trees, so for me it was going to grow. Some mornings when I woke up, I had the mention that my mango tree had not been able to grow the day before, but without any explanation. In the absence of this explanation, I believed that the shrubs did not grow on rainy days. And then when the weather was nice, the message was still only displayed for the mango trees, and not for the banana trees.

In short, certainly in my message previous to yours, I spoke following my habits of experience as a beta tester (oriented "quality checker") on other games where I report this type of inconsistency to the developer teams, on the defects of information to players.

But the basic problem is true.

There is maybe a lack of information or a problem of consistency in the gameplay.

Usually, when a game is well designed, a player should be able to understand the game without needing to read a source of information outside of the game. :blush:

---

edit :
Another example where I don't know why the tree isn't growing. The other 7 mystical trees grew, but not the eighth (in front of my avatar)
However, all the tiles around are clear, there are no stones or objects blocking the growth.
Yes, it’s a really hard game in vanilla mode. Just when you get the hang of things, the next version switches some things up a bit. That’s why there is the wiki and these forums. We all join together to better understand a very simple, yet at the same time incredibly complex game. That’s the type of developer CA is. The changes can be frustrating, yet keep you on your toes searching for new ways of doing the same old routines. For every person who doesn’t like a change another loves that change. But, yes, the wiki and these forums are your best friends playing this game. For the most part I’d seek help here. The wiki is sort of messed up right now as they are in editing mode due to the update. It still portrays a lot of 1.5 info, not 1.6.

Zangdar

Greenhorn
@ArtifactSpot : On a game (Ukrainian independent publisher) for which I had voluntary responsibility for the French localization, from 2018 to 2023, in anticipation of each release of paid DLC or free update, during the closed beta reserved for beta testers, I quickly reread all the old and new translations to check the consistency of the mechanisms, the consistency in the use of the translated words (always the same key word or the same expression translated instead of a synonym or an equivalent expression) and the information to players. If I saw a blatant or contradictory inconsistency, I escalated it to the development team. Otherwise, I standardized the old with the new. This made it possible to publish a game that was a little more homogeneous and coherent. Perhaps with all the successive free additions over the past 6 years, the official translators of the game could do this (a little painful) job of rereading all their translations, to improve the quality of their texts. Because seeing the game in v1.6, there are still a certain number of translation or typography problems in the localizations. Harmonization perhaps seems necessary ... ? :wink: