Coding Help Question about creating a dialogue mod expansion

Farmer Qiao

Greenhorn
Hi! New modder here, I just wanted to ask if I code the content to, for example, "Rainy_Day_0": "blah blah blah", will it overwrite the vanilla lines and the dialogue mods that I installed? I want my expansion mod to add more lines and not replace the dialogues I have already. The action I use in the code is editdata, should I change it to something else? Thanks!!

Nerdahedron

Newcomer
New modder here too, also working on learning dialog mods (NPC tweaks mostly). I recall reading that if your mod has the same entry as an existing vanilla day, it will overwrite the vanilla in favor of the mod content. However, if multiple mods overwrite the same day, then it goes with the last mod loaded, which goes in alphabetical order. For that reason, you may want to copy the vanilla content into your mod so you can then write around it more easily, and not lose anything by mistake.

That said, I think there's also a dialog expansion mod on Nexus, which looks like it has already done that, so you'd just have to go in and customize that to suit your tastes.