Point and click interface

Cyrus

Greenhorn
Hello, I have had a great time playing Stardew Valley in my car for over 70 hours. So my girlfriend and I just bought the PC version so we could play multiplayer and I'm extremely disappointed in the experience so far. Like just clearing the land on the farm is a huge hassle having to constantly switch back and forth between different tools manually. I had hoped that the PC experience would be better than the more simple mobile experience but so far it is much worse. I have looked into various mods that would give more of a mouse interface but none of them would replicate the path finding possible in the mobile type of play. Please update the PC version of the game to eliminate the friction of constantly having to switch between axe, pick, scythe, etc. Also allow clicking on items farther than one square away from the character and have them walk over and interact with them. I also miss the ability to use multi-touch to rapidly zoom in and out. Stardew Valley is my favorite thing about my Tesla. I hope I can someday say the same about my computer but not right now.

Odin

Staff member
It would be nice to see more controls added to the PC version, but I'd recommend sticking with it and seeing if you get used to the PC controls. You mention having to swap tools, you can do that with either the number row on your keyboard or your mouse's scroll wheel, I'd recommend trying both so see which one you find easier. And for zooming, I don't think there's ever going to be a match for that on PC, but in the game's options tab there is a way to enable zoom in and out buttons which can make adjusting that a bit easier.

It's interesting, you're not the only one to make this complaint, but I also see people complain about how bad the mobile controls are after playing on PC, or how the console controls are frustrating after having played on another platform first. I think people just get used to whatever they start with, and the change is jarring. I imagine this is why you are having trouble finding mods to fix this– anyone that started playing on PC wouldn't even think about tool swapping as being a hassle. It's not that you're wrong or anything, just that your experience is different to most players (which can make it more frustrating if others don't recognize that). Unfortunately, while the game can make improvements in this area, using a touch screen will never be the same as a keyboard and mouse or a controller.

Cyrus

Greenhorn
It would be nice to see more controls added to the PC version, but I'd recommend sticking with it and seeing if you get used to the PC controls.
Thanks for your comments Odin. I'm sure people who are used to the PC interface don't notice the handicaps they suffer. I found fishing difficult on the mobile interface and was looking forward to getting into it on PC. I'm using a laptop with a touchpad so I don't have a gaming mouse with a scroll wheel at present. I suspect people with computers like Microsoft Surface struggle even more. I did find this article on the mobile interface that explains more of the specific terminology of what I would like to see. https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Mobile_Controls