Playing Stardew Valley V1.2.31, would like to update but want certain mods, if anyone can help me

Jessicaksch

Greenhorn
so I have a few very old mods I still really enjoy, but am missing only one that I would really like to add to my collection: horses that you can stable (not the one you ride)

Is there one working for this version of stardew valley? I tried this mod : https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/3357

which works but then it says I can't load because the version is using 1.5 (needs 1.0).

So I think I need to update to a later version of Stardew valley...

So here are mods I really would like, and was wondering what version of stardew valley I need and SMAPI version too:

-a mod that I can have unlimited pets (if various versions of pet skins are available and types would be good, I can always edit those using xnb node)
-a mod to add horses as a livestock animal (instead of the one you get to ride, I like to have different horses on my farm)

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you anyways for taking the time reading this!

mouse

Farmer
Yes, in addition to the tons of game features added in later versions, modding itself has evolved and is capable of much more than those times. There are many, many reasons why no one recommends mods that overwrite directly into the game's content files (easy to mess up, a pain to uninstall, no troubleshooting log, outdated, can only replace, on and on) but one of the simplest is just that it's incredibly limited compared to what people can do with content packs.

If you haven't already, buying the game will get you the latest version with all its cool features as well as access to tons of cool and complex mods that are simply not compatible with something so old and restricted. There's a compatibility page that shows compatibility status for every known SMAPI mod with the latest version of the game and SMAPI, as well as an alternatives page for conversions from old XNB mods to packs for Content Patcher.

For your specific questions, Adopt n Skin could serve all those purposes as it allows more pets with different skins as well as wild horses you can adopt to have multiple of those as well. The horses aren't technically livestock, but you could use the So Many Horses pack for the BFAV unofficial update if you really wanted those. Someone's been working on a replacement for BFAV for some time, but I don't know what the ETA is on it.

(Since most of the community energy has been focused on converting old overwrite mods into more modern focused edits via Content Patcher or equivalent, you're unlikely to find many people willing to help move in the other direction.)

Jessicaksch

Greenhorn
Yes, in addition to the tons of game features added in later versions, modding itself has evolved and is capable of much more than those times. There are many, many reasons why no one recommends mods that overwrite directly into the game's content files (easy to mess up, a pain to uninstall, no troubleshooting log, outdated, can only replace, on and on) but one of the simplest is just that it's incredibly limited compared to what people can do with content packs.

If you haven't already, buying the game will get you the latest version with all its cool features as well as access to tons of cool and complex mods that are simply not compatible with something so old and restricted. There's a compatibility page that shows compatibility status for every known SMAPI mod with the latest version of the game and SMAPI, as well as an alternatives page for conversions from old XNB mods to packs for Content Patcher.

For your specific questions, Adopt n Skin could serve all those purposes as it allows more pets with different skins as well as wild horses you can adopt to have multiple of those as well. The horses aren't technically livestock, but you could use the So Many Horses pack for the BFAV unofficial update if you really wanted those. Someone's been working on a replacement for BFAV for some time, but I don't know what the ETA is on it.

(Since most of the community energy has been focused on converting old overwrite mods into more modern focused edits via Content Patcher or equivalent, you're unlikely to find many people willing to help move in the other direction.)
Thank you so much for the quick reply! So I've gotten the steam version and got SMAPI and the mod "Adopt n skin" installed. Just wondering how I can add different horses:

so, I want different horses, the skins can be randomized but not sure how to go about it. I went into the config file of the mod and added this as the mod maker said:

"AnimalShop": {
"Name": "Sport Horse",
"Description": "A beautiful sport horse!",
"Price": "1000",
"Icon": "assets\animal_shop_sport horse.png"

However, I am a bit confused about other things: Do I put skins into the assets folder? How do I add more horse versions? If I download more skins, do I just drop them in the assets folder?

Also, how can I make sure they require a barn? I'm just a bit confused how the commands go and where. Thank you!

mouse

Farmer
The Adopt n Skin horses will be just regular horses - they can have different skins by installing them into the skins folder. The optional download on this page for example is just a skins folder that can just be tossed into the assets folder and it will handle it from there.

To add more livestock animals, you need another mod, Better Farm Animal Variety, which has been broken since 1.4. The author had been working on an update to it that supported content packs instead of the setup it had before, and so that's what people worked on when they released unofficial updates for it to make it work. It uses a different format than the old one, so you need packs for it that work with the new one, like So Many Horses instead of the original Sport Horses. It just gets put into the Mods folder, so it's a lot easier to install than the old one.

Since So Many Horses horses drop custom items as animal products, you'll also need the requirements on its mod page -- mainly JSON Assets and its requirement, Spacecore. If you want to be able to process the animal products into resources (like manure > fertilizer or horsehair > cloth) you need Producer Framework Mod.

(All three of those are common requirements for mods, as they allow packs of custom items and machines (or changes to vanilla machines) to be made.)

All the skins (pngs) for the So Many Horses mod can be found in in its assets folder -- you can edit/replace those to change their appearances, just make sure the filenames stay the same.

mouse

Farmer
The unofficial update that I linked in both posts will work with the Steam version. New packs that get installed by putting them in the Mods folder will not work with the old version, and a new framework has been in development for some time that will eventually replace BFAV.