Player should maybe have a birthday(?)

Norski

Farmhand
All the npcs have birthdays, but not the player? I'm sort of on the fence on whether this would be a good idea or not, but if it *was* implemented, I would suggest that the npcs all just give gifts to them either that morning in the mailbox(gift quality and better item chance dependent on relationship), or, even better, when you talk to them that day, they'll say something like, "Oh, hello! Happy birthday!" or "Good morning. Didn't think I'd forget your birthday, would you?"

Alfyna

Sodbuster
This and the 'spouse concerned when you swoon' are the main RP changes I wish for. XD I remember how geekily excited I was in Fire Emblem when the characters would give me voiced "happy birthday!!"s on my special day. It'd be so sweet to have that in Stardew.

Why maybe ? Player must have a birthday , like everyone else . Birthdays exist in the Harvest moon series , My time at Portia , for example , and it's very sad not to have a birthday for the player in the Stardew Valley ...

Baconfry

Sodbuster
I'm not sold on the idea of the player receiving a birthday gift from every NPC, but it would be nice to receive letter from mom or dad. Especially if it referenced the "favorite thing" that you wrote in character creation, which otherwise only appears a finite number of times. Having the villagers wish you a happy birthday when you talk to them would also be really sweet. (also, throwaway idea: on your birthday, kissing your spouse provides a luck buff that lasts the whole day maybe)

It is very likely that you will share your birthday with one of the villagers, but that's not a problem, I think.

dubesor

Farmhand
Friends already give you gifts via mail, I don't think more gifts are needed. I saw the player birthday system in my time in portia and it was kinda underwhelming, everyone would come to your property and drop off a gift to the point where I had ~30+ gifts lying around and it was overkill. But a small gesture like a phonecall or something would be nice. However, how would this be implemented on old save files? Sure it's easy to add a birth date on character creation but like a popup retroactively asking you in Year 5 what your birthday is? Kinda shoehorned, not really feeling it.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I think it'd work if it was implemented like the Feast of the Winter Star gift, where one random NPC every year sends you a birthday gift in the mail. Honestly I wouldn't care so much about that part as much as I would about the spouse interaction. For the unmarried farmer it'd be cute if Mom sent you a birthday gift (and you maybe received some birthday wishes around town, that sort of thing) and for the married player it'd be adorable if the spouse made breakfast and dinner on that day, gave you a little stat-boosting kiss, and had birthday-specific dialogue. Like it really wouldn't need to be much, I would legit be tickled with any acknowledgement whatsoever.

... though lol bummer for people IRL who have birthdays that fall on the 29/30/31st of a season. XD They'd just have to ballpark it I guess.

My problem is one of the NPC's has the equivalent of my B-day all ready in game. so have used a B-day mod before (which has not been updated) and picked a different day

I'd like the player to have a birthday, but to avoid problems others have already pointed out, it could just be one certain day, you don't choose. Spring 1 maybe.

rippytrippy

Planter
I don't see this as possible seeing as there are four months in the SDV year lol.

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense... IRL birthday is March 14th, which is like the last week of winter but most people associate March with Springtime, so liek, would it be Winter 14th or Spring 14th? Spring 14th makes more sense but is technically incorrect

idk. It would be a nice idea if there were 12 legitimate SDV months in the year but there's not so :P

ISSsloth

Farmer
Friends already give you gifts via mail, I don't think more gifts are needed. I saw the player birthday system in my time in portia and it was kinda underwhelming, everyone would come to your property and drop off a gift to the point where I had ~30+ gifts lying around and it was overkill. But a small gesture like a phonecall or something would be nice. However, how would this be implemented on old save files? Sure it's easy to add a birth date on character creation but like a popup retroactively asking you in Year 5 what your birthday is? Kinda shoehorned, not really feeling it.
Just as an added option if the player uses the shrine of illusions later in their game?

Birthday perks could be:
  • Guaranteed good luck day
  • Free promotional movie tickets
  • Gift/letter from your parents (I really wish they'd send more letters)
  • Gift from spouse/roomie.
  • A new birthday treat recipe that works like birthday gifting. You give it to anyone on your birthday for extra friendship points.
I love all of those ideas, except that the birthday treat feels too similar to Animal Crossing.

tomaO2

Planter
Okay, here is a completely different idea for birthday. Make it a reward for getting to full hearts with every giftable villager.

After getting to full hearts, next time you go into the community center, or maybe the bar, on a normal day, there is a cutscene. It's a surprise birthday party! Afterwards, that day is now your birthday, and you get happy birthday messages from everyone on that day, and there will be a letter in the mail from your parent. No rewards, no perks, no gifts. Just a fun little surprise cutscene for maxing out on the hearts, a yearly letter from parent, and the addition of your birthday to the calendar. I think that is plenty. Maybe also a special birthday meal if you talk to your wife on that day?

I'd be happy with just the cutscene. It would make a good capstone for reaching full hearts, and there really isn't anything like that in the game so far.

I don't really want more gifts, as was mentioned, I already get plenty of gifts. A fun cutscene as a reward would be nice though, and it it's a fun way to finally mark the day in your calendar for older players.

Last edited:

goboking

Rancher
Birthday perks could be:
  • Guaranteed good luck day
  • Free promotional movie tickets
  • Gift/letter from your parents (I really wish they'd send more letters)
  • Gift from spouse/roomie.
  • A new birthday treat recipe that works like birthday gifting. You give it to anyone on your birthday for extra friendship points.
I'd settle with unique dialogue, with everyone you talk to wishing you well on your birthday.

chaju

Newcomer
i just read this post as im doing my first playthrough. funny enough, my birthday is october 23rd and its fall 23 of my first year and my mom just sent me a cake in the mail.