Player-run Stores

Aedifex Games

Greenhorn
Players should be able to open a store near the community center that competes with Pierre's. It would be customizable, similar to a shed, and as you grow more and more, more townsfolk would shop there, especially ones you have high friendship levels with. You can set your prices and potentially earn more than selling things through the normal shipping box. You could hire people such as Linus, Kent, or your spouse to run the store, however, you would have to pay them, and they would have to be at a fairly high friendship level. Eventually, you could put Pierre's out of business, and Pierre would go to work at the Stardrop Saloon. Your store could be built after completing the Community Center, from Robin. If you do the Joja route, you could also do this however there would be some additional events. If you go Joja, after putting Pierre out of business, Morris would return and offer to buy your store for $100,000. If you agree, you will lose your store and it will be refurbished into a JojaMart Express! which will be overpriced, and your only place to purchase from, a fitting punishment for choosing to go down the Joja path twice. However, you will be rewarded with the Joja Uniform, all it costs is your soul.

Onenote

Sodbuster
I feel like this idea could really work with something more niche? Like maybe a gem store or maybe a clothing shop to go along with the new tailoring. Heck, it could be a way to get players to explore the tailoring more as maybe the townsfolk request certain pieces of clothing. But for the idea of having a shop that will actively be competing with and may eventually put Pierre out of business doesn't seem to fit in well with Pierre's community center completion cutscene portion, which is all about how he manages to overcome Joja at long last. I know you mention him going to work for Gus in the saloon if you do this but Pierre puts his blood sweat and tears into running the general store and no matter which way you go (community center or joja), it just seems really really cruel to run him out of business.

On a lighter note, I do like the idea of being able to hire townsfolk to be able to work for you as I feel that's another good way to give back to the community, like how you can build a house for Penny and Pam.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
@Onenote Don't forget to mark late game things as spoilers with the [ispoiler][/ispoiler] tags (you can also the inline spoiler button to add those tags in too).

Dear Mods,
I have a dream of opening my own store in Stardew.

I believe that player run stores would add to the game and should be an option after getting rid of Joja or as an alternative to give back to the community and open the Community Center through sponsorship if you decide to go the Joja route and want the community center.

The store should not affect the Movie Theater and can be placed on the farm, mountain, forest, town, beach or desert.
You should be able to decorate your store using the catalogues. Have a grand opening event where all the community is invited. You can offer Krobus and Linus and Shane jobs.The store should have specific hours of the owners choosing.

If you don’t make enough money you can go out of business. If you don’t open and close on time you can lose customers.If you don’t have enough variety you can lose customers.

Please Mods Make Store Dream a reality.

I'd love to open some sort of cooking shop. It'd be cool to make profits from the items you cook; it adds an extra incentive to use the cooking feature more often. I only use it to make some food to take into the mines, and I heard some people don't care for the feature at all
Another idea could be to have orders from Gus as well for cooked items.
As for the shop, I think it should be outside PT, maybe in Zuzu city? I don't want to compete with Pierre.