Windows [PC] [FIXED] Audio crackling and microstuttering after few minutes of playing.

anarion659

Greenhorn
well hopefully more people report it and it does get fixed. 🤷‍♂️

Hotfix came out today. Still having the issue.

Last edited:

ALCRD

Tiller
well hopefully more people report it and it does get fixed. 🤷‍♂️

Hotfix came out today. Still having the issue.
Hmm? For what version? Weird I didn't get any SDV updates on Steam today.
Neither can i find any mentions or changelogs regarding it.

ALCRD

Tiller
Hello idk if you guys are still having the problem but i fixed it by disabling audio enhancements on my speaker properties
The .. what?
I believe i don't have such option let alone have it enabled. Then again my Windows is in PL so idk which option you are refering to but all my extra audio effects are disabled in speaker properties and this still happens.

Also this doesn't look like a strictly audio problem since also graphical jittering is present and both audio and jittering goes away for minute or so after i use the alt combo from my sword. For some weird unexplainable reason..

Last edited:

Boneless_Soy

Cowpoke
Other than switching to Compatibility version of the game untill this is fixed on standard version i have no other suggestions :( Compatibility version doesn't have this problem.

It's apparently identical version to standard and can be crossplayed with people who are on standard version. Only problem some mods might not work.
Hey how do you switch to Compatibility Version? I'm having the same problem

anarion659

Greenhorn
Hi guys,

One small update. My graphics card which was an old GTX 570 finally crapped out and i replaced with a very basic GT 730 and now i have zero stuttering issues. I had to replace my graphics card because i was getting Blue screen non stop and i was lucky enough to deduce it was the card that was causing the issue. I suspect it must have something to do with the graphics card memory issues? I dunno but just wanted to give a small update.

PokemonGerman

Greenhorn
Just made an account, just to say that I also still have this problem. I came back to the game after a year or so and finally wanted to play it again with some mods. But then the micro stutter appeared and the audio bugging out. I've been looking into how to fix it for an entire day by now, but compatibility mode is still the only way to fix it. Despite me using a 64 bit computer. It's really sad that I can't use all the cool mods out there if I want to play stutter free just because the game updated to 64bit. Has there been any news regarding fixes?

ALCRD

Tiller
Guess this will be never ever be fixed. A completely lost cause.

Even today i see users posting on Steam forums with same issue despite having everything up to date and 64 bit OS and only possible fix is to switch to 32 bit compatibility which prevents use of mods... (either that or spamming alt attack of sword cause this for some insane reason fixes all the stutter for about 2-3 minutes - not sure what's the logic behind this but this 100% looks like a game bug and nothing on the user's end.)

problemzombie

Newcomer
A bit late but I found a workaround! Find whatever .exe file you're using to launch SDV, for me it's StardewModdingAPI.exe but for non-modded games it should just be Stardew Valley.exe. Right click on it, then choose the "run with graphics processor" option--select whatever graphics card you have. Mine was set to my laptop default for some reason. The audio glitch should be fixed, although I have still been noticing the microstutters, although that's leagues better than having unbearable static noises 24/7. I've been playing for about an hour now and my audio is working fine. Keep in mind that I'm not playing through Steam and my game is heavily modded, so I'm not sure this'll work for unmodded games. Cheers!

GreTheMage

Cowpoke
Had the same issue and it never went away, I bit the bullet and pulled out my 8+ year old laptop and no problems. It's definitely something to do with the hardware.

Original PC:
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Subhajit

Newcomer
A bit late but I found a workaround! Find whatever .exe file you're using to launch SDV, for me it's StardewModdingAPI.exe but for non-modded games it should just be Stardew Valley.exe. Right click on it, then choose the "run with graphics processor" option--select whatever graphics card you have. Mine was set to my laptop default for some reason. The audio glitch should be fixed, although I have still been noticing the microstutters, although that's leagues better than having unbearable static noises 24/7. I've been playing for about an hour now and my audio is working fine. Keep in mind that I'm not playing through Steam and my game is heavily modded, so I'm not sure this'll work for unmodded games. Cheers!
Hey can you please explain in detail, I can't seem to find the option to run with graphics.

Axirez

Greenhorn
I wanna add to this issue, if it's the same I'm having, try this as a temporary (hopefully) workaround:
  1. Open Sound Settings
  2. Click on "More Sound Settings" this will open the legacy window for sound settings
  3. Go to "Recording"
You can also go on the W11 Sound Settings in the settings, it worked for me.

For some reason having that window open won't make Stardew's audio crackle, I've tested this both in W10 and W11, Vanilla and SMAPI and it keeps working for me, but it's a bit annoying to do every time, hopefully this will be solved eventually...

Last edited:

rallugamer1000

Newcomer
I have solved my really annoying problem where audio would be crackling slightly and also go completely silent every minute or so for a second.

Nothing in this thread helped, but I eventually noticed by accident that if I run the game in borderless fullscreen instead of exclusive fullscreen, the audio works fine.

Hopefully this helps someone else.