Windows [PC] [FIXED] Audio crackling and microstuttering after few minutes of playing.

Boneless_Soy

Cowpoke
@ALCCRD
I'm having issues with Stardew Valley.
As mentioned in the title after few minutes of gameplay audio including the music starts to crackle and pop and game starts to act up like it's microstuttering. The movement gets jittery.

Happens regardless of resolution or window mode.
I am not using any mods i'm actually new to this game bought it today on Steam.

Restarting fixes this but only tempoarily. Issue starts all over again after few minutes.

User suggested fix was to use the 32 bit Compatibility mode beta.
Compatibility beta works perfectly fine without these issues.

However i like to point out that my OS is a 64 bit one so it's a bit odd that i am having issues with Stardew Valley unless i use the 32 bit compatibility version.
Any updates? After a year I tried getting back into Stardew but the glitch is too obnoxious and the compatibility version just crashes instantly while opening. The early game just becomes a race to get the rusty sword and I'm completely unable of using any other weapon... please help.

aldorrx

Newcomer
same, august right now having the issue tried the exclusive fullscreen method didnt change anything really so this keeps happening i dont even know how this finna get solved i hope soon cuz its really annoying and really ruins the experience

GreTheMage

Cowpoke
Same here, issue is still ongoing, my 9+ year old complete potato of a laptop still run it fine with no problems, but the desktop just won't no matter what, fingers crossed something in the new update fixes it

Millgo

Newcomer
Returning player from 1.4 (Windows). Now installed 1.5.6 unfortunately also ran into this audio issue with you guys bunch. So far I only figured a temporary fix is go into the Tunnel area next to the Bus Stop to stop some audio tracks from playing, exiting the Tunnel and the new audio plays with no crackling but will not last forever. Also while the audio is crackling and lucky enough ran into nearby birds flying away chirping will also fix it temporary.

I have no yet tried the sword defense sound effect (as just discovered this thread), but if it can fix the crackling then this presumably has something to do with the audio logic side of things e.g. buffer/timing/channels in the coding? Or even the problematic HPET issue some computers has.

Too bad couldn't test the HPET theory on my PC because there isn't an option to disable it in BIOS. But the least I could try is use a different audio device other than the built-in audio on the mainboard to see if that changes anything. Is gonna take me days of thorough tests to report back.

Side note; audio crackling can also get from bad to worst that will sometimes cause game freezes like 1-5 frame per 10 seconds, essentially broken the game until run into something that play a random sound effect to fix itself back to normal.

-- EDIT --
Switching to external audio device didn't help, it was never audio device issue to begin with but game's code:

In my controlled experiment game is locked to use only CPU affinity 2 (CPU2) for single-threaded monitor, speed 1.6GHz, no TurboBoost.

Game initially run great and use average 2.3% out of 12.5% on CPU2 (12.5 is the max speed per thread on 8 threads CPU), lasting approximate 20 seconds CPU2 suddenly raising usage to the max and game drop to like 0.5fps near lock up state. Enabling TurboBoost gain up to 2.8GHz and game responds again. RAM & GPU are still in the nominal lows but CPU2 is still in the max and there are minor game stutter goes with audio crackling time to time.

You may think is the lack of CPU speed, but Right-click on the sword plays a 'flap' sound effect the same from the birds in Springs season, both can clear high CPU usage and return game to normal. This is clearly game code or .NET acting up, really curious what this 'flap' sfx is tied to in the code that able to clear unnessesary utilizations and why doesn't anything else do this.

Doesn't matter high or low PC specs, vanilla SDV can run steadily even on an 13 year old CPU at 1GHz as tested but this bug really hit the bad spot, I believe some players might even be maxing their CPU without knowing just so the game runs.
SDV-Graph1a.png

This graph is the cut out of CPU2 usage, not the entire CPU combined

Last edited:

ALCRD

Tiller
So it seems this was fixed in 1.6
Played for hours on main branch and this issue didn't happen anymore.

Sweet!