OSTRICH EGG HUNT (plz help)

Miss Berry

Farmhand
There’s only one reason I wanted to go to Ginger Island besides discovering new things; ostriches! Animals are my favorite part of Stardew Valley and I’ve collected almost all of them, but I’m missing the Ostrich. Also, I learned how to do a spoiler tag! So I’ll hide this here in case it’s a spoiler:
I know there’s an egg hidden in the sand on Ginger Island, but I checked the spot I was supposed to check and couldn’t find it! Am I checking the wrong spot? It’s in the curve of the palm tree by the entrance to the Volcano Mine

Lew Zealand

Helper
There’s only one reason I wanted to go to Ginger Island besides discovering new things; ostriches! Animals are my favorite part of Stardew Valley and I’ve collected almost all of them, but I’m missing the Ostrich. Also, I learned how to do a spoiler tag! So I’ll hide this here in case it’s a spoiler:
I know there’s an egg hidden in the sand on Ginger Island, but I checked the spot I was supposed to check and couldn’t find it! Am I checking the wrong spot? It’s in the curve of the palm tree by the entrance to the Volcano Mine
Oh my good friend I understand of what you seek as I was stuck in the same predicament when designing my Ostrich Race Track on the Beach Farm. You need to find the Journal Scrap that mentions the egg location first before you can find the Egg itself. Yes, the arcane magicks of lil beasties unknown to modern peoples and their not-quite-artificially intelligent phones control the very existence of large ovoid larval omlettes and will not release their ill-gotten knowledge until you... um, find some scribbled paper or whatever.

But!

Then you must seek another item in order to hatch said Egg (for the love of flightless birds, don't let Gus know you have one!), because apparently the only human being in extsience in the Ferngill Republic who knows how to scale up an incubator that somehow already fits a DINOSAUR Egg to one that fits an Ostrich egg is a dude who got trapped in a cave and spent years getting high on 'shrooms. Oh he says he only ate the regularly edible ones but... Come on. You and I and the parrots know how best to pass the time when fungus is all around. And apparently he's now gotten so lazy (OK, so I'm a little jealous) used to a particular lifestyle that you need to do his life's work for him and only when you've earned him his 3rd Ph.D. maybe he'll find a spare incubator in his pants pockets to hit with the shrink ray gun set in reverse to 'Embiggen-Flightless Fowl, e.g rhea, emu, ostrich*'.

* for the love of cheezburgers, NO kiwis! have you seen the size of their eggs??

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
The one hidden in the sand can only be found after you find the journal scrap (which if I recall correctly is the last one because they come in order). You can also get one from the volcano mine treasure chests, but they are rare. But if you like mining, you can go hunting for treasure chests and journal scraps at the same time.

And as Lew has pointed out, you need to get the crafting recipe for the incubator first.

Miss Berry

Farmhand
Oh my good friend I understand of what you seek as I was stuck in the same predicament when designing my Ostrich Race Track on the Beach Farm. You need to find the Journal Scrap that mentions the egg location first before you can find the Egg itself. Yes, the arcane magicks of lil beasties unknown to modern peoples and their not-quite-artificially intelligent phones control the very existence of large ovoid larval omlettes and will not release their ill-gotten knowledge until you... um, find some scribbled paper or whatever.

But!

Then you must seek another item in order to hatch said Egg (for the love of flightless birds, don't let Gus know you have one!), because apparently the only human being in extsience in the Ferngill Republic who knows how to scale up an incubator that somehow already fits a DINOSAUR Egg to one that fits an Ostrich egg is a dude who got trapped in a cave and spent years getting high on 'shrooms. Oh he says he only ate the regularly edible ones but... Come on. You and I and the parrots know how best to pass the time when fungus is all around. And apparently he's now gotten so lazy (OK, so I'm a little jealous) used to a particular lifestyle that you need to do his life's work for him and only when you've earned him his 3rd Ph.D. maybe he'll find a spare incubator in his pants pockets to hit with the shrink ray gun set in reverse to 'Embiggen-Flightless Fowl, e.g rhea, emu, ostrich*'.

* for the love of cheezburgers, NO kiwis! have you seen the size of their eggs??
Great Yoba, this ostrich is a LOT of work, and I already thought it was a lot of work just GETTING to that island. cracks knuckles Okay dokey, looks like I’m gonna be spending a lot more time on Ginger Island. Better get that beach house built. Can I move my wife and kids and cat into the island home? Otherwise mama might be gone for a while—plus also Haley loves tropical weather and I know she would be thrilled to live on Ginger Island for an indefinite vacay. I’ll miss her if I have to be away for so long :’(

Also Lew your narration is FLAWLESS, I’ve reread it just for the hilarious narrative 🤣

And I agree about the part with the professor. Every time you give him something—“Look what I’ve discovered!”
I’m sorry, what YOU discovered? I better be mentioned in whatever research paper you’re writing, Professor 🤨

Miss Berry

Farmhand
The one hidden in the sand can only be found after you find the journal scrap (which if I recall correctly is the last one because they come in order). You can also get one from the volcano mine treasure chests, but they are rare. But if you like mining, you can go hunting for treasure chests and journal scraps at the same time.

And as Lew has pointed out, you need to get the crafting recipe for the incubator first.
Aaaaaaaaah there’s always another puzzle piece in Stardew Valley 😭😭😭 It’s like one of those side quests games where to get bread from the breadmaker you need to bring him eggs, and to get eggs you have to clean the garden for the chicken lady, and to clean the garden for the chicken lady you need to acquire gardening tools from the local fairy, and to acquire gardening tools from the local fairy you need to clear the forest of the invasive mushroom species, and to clear the forest of the invasive mushroom species—

Elenna101

Farmer
Great Yoba, this ostrich is a LOT of work, and I already thought it was a lot of work just GETTING to that island. cracks knuckles Okay dokey, looks like I’m gonna be spending a lot more time on Ginger Island. Better get that beach house built. Can I move my wife and kids and cat into the island home? Otherwise mama might be gone for a while—plus also Haley loves tropical weather and I know she would be thrilled to live on Ginger Island for an indefinite vacay. I’ll miss her if I have to be away for so long :’(

Also Lew your narration is FLAWLESS, I’ve reread it just for the hilarious narrative 🤣

And I agree about the part with the professor. Every time you give him something—“Look what I’ve discovered!”
I’m sorry, what YOU discovered? I better be mentioned in whatever research paper you’re writing, Professor 🤨
Sadly you cannot bring your family to Ginger Island. You can get the parrots to make you a warp totem from Ginger Island to the main farm (for more walnuts, of course), but the warp from the main farm to Ginger Island does cost a million gold and 10 dragon teeth. Good thing you have a shiny new farm to grow starfruit or ancient fruit on! Also you can buy the island warp totem recipe, although they cost a dragon tooth each.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
If you get the hang of storming the volcano dungeon, you can try there to get an ostrich egg. I vaguely remember finding one there instead of the loot I actually wanted.