Option to disable romantic content for player

MayorLouise

Greenhorn
I would really like an option to disable the romantic aspect of the game for my character. I have no intention of playing that part of the game, but I would love to see my single, NPC friends move on and get married to each other. I feel like there were already some pairings in place when I started the game (Haley and Alex, Leah and Elliot...) that just don't go anywhere because everyone is now in love with me just because I cultivated my friendship with them. It feels good to be able to cultivate friendships. It doesn't feel good to have all the single NPCs awkwardly hung-up on my character. I know a lot of people enjoy the marriage/child-rearing aspect of the game, so I'm not suggesting that it be removed. I just think it would be cool if there was a way to play the game without it (maybe something that you could turn off or on when creating your character).

Lew Zealand

Helper
This is a great suggestion. Maybe there's a Platonic Valley mod or something similar? Actually I'd like to play that game! Ok really I'd also add in another mod where I would end up constantly wandering in at just the wrong time when the couples are having a romantic moment, thus engendering mild to appreciable annoyance throughout the Valley. Oooo, I'd love *that* to be on the TV instead of the weather or Luck report!

I think I have found my calling.

@Lew Zealand mwahaha make a version of the bachelor but leave out he has six at home kids......,.keep it a secret from the contestants until he has a romantic date or he suggest pizza world or going to see a movie with all of them......... Or have it play out like the bachelor but when he gives the final rose the kids bust on set saying you did I mama(have it be the woman's kids in this case)

Heheheheh, "Stardew Valley Secrets Revealed"with the 6 kids. Seriously though, I like the idea of a platonic mode, I have a friend that would much prefer that since they tend to avoid the relationship aspects too but also want to see the characters get a nice together-ending.

Ellajoy

Rancher
What if, when you're at 8 hearts with someone for a year without giving them a bouquet, there is an event the day before the flower dance where he's he tells you that they were thinking about asking out their storyline date.

MayorLouise

Greenhorn
What if, when you're at 8 hearts with someone for a year without giving them a bouquet, there is an event the day before the flower dance where he's he tells you that they were thinking about asking out their storyline date.
Yeah, something like that might work and then you could encourage them and help them out with it if they want! That would be more fun than the current tension I am experiencing when talking to singles!

Change in relationship after a full year at constant 8 hearts with no bouquets would make sense. Perhaps that cut scene can be your last chance to express an interest or keep the option open.

I’d love to get ten hearts with some of the platonic singleton characters once they settle down. Conversely, I’d also love some consequence for stringing someone along for years without offering them the bouquet and also discouraging them from seeking other relationships!