Issue Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Kirby_

Greenhorn
Me and my boyfriend have a farm we've both been working on for the past few months and then one time when I hosted the farm he wasn't able to exit the farmhouse- it just kept loading. When I had left the farmhouse it just... did exist? Ever since I've been unable to open the file, and any other file I used with mods involved. Launching with SMAPI, every time I try to open the save it loops back to the launch screen (the one with CA's icon), and every time I launch with steam, the game crashes completely.

This is the error log link: https://smapi.io/log/bb06cc7056fd43beac55b28297bd3cca

I've seen this issue float around for a while but I haven't found a solution yet. Can this issue be solved??

Last edited:
Thanks for the log.

The relevant parts show errors from some past mods:
Code:
19:23:45     WARN     Error Handler     Removed invalid villager 'Marigold' in Tent ({X:0 Y:0}) to avoid a crash when loading save 'HoneyBit_300892136'. (Did you remove a custom NPC mod?)

19:23:45     ERROR     game     NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at StardewValley.SaveGame.loadDataToLocations_PatchedBy<SMAPI.ErrorHandler>(List`1 gamelocations)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
It looks like there was a mod that added an NPC, and the 2nd error would be related to a map change of some sort.
Since y'all are playing mutliplayer. Y'all should generally use the same mods to ensure compatibility.

If you don't plan on re-adding your previous mods. I can help take a look at the save, and see if it's possible to restore for vanilla gameplay.
You would just need to find, and send me the save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Find_your_save_files

Kirby_

Greenhorn
Thanks for the log.

The relevant parts show errors from some past mods:
Code:
19:23:45     WARN     Error Handler     Removed invalid villager 'Marigold' in Tent ({X:0 Y:0}) to avoid a crash when loading save 'HoneyBit_300892136'. (Did you remove a custom NPC mod?)

19:23:45     ERROR     game     NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at StardewValley.SaveGame.loadDataToLocations_PatchedBy<SMAPI.ErrorHandler>(List`1 gamelocations)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
It looks like there was a mod that added an NPC, and the 2nd error would be related to a map change of some sort.
Since y'all are playing mutliplayer. Y'all should generally use the same mods to ensure compatibility.

If you don't plan on re-adding your previous mods. I can help take a look at the save, and see if it's possible to restore for vanilla gameplay.
You would just need to find, and send me the save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Find_your_save_files
Thanks for helping! We both downloaded the same mods to ensure compatability, and the NPC mod was the SV diversity mod (marigold is a service dog). I'll attatch my save file for you :))

file:///C:/Users/Marzb/OneDrive/Desktop/HoneyBit_300892136/HoneyBit_300892136

Does this work?

Thanks for helping! We both downloaded the same mods to ensure compatability, and the NPC mod was the SV diversity mod (marigold is a service dog). I'll attatch my save file for you :))

file:///C:/Users/Marzb/OneDrive/Desktop/HoneyBit_300892136/HoneyBit_300892136

Does this work?
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

As for the save; that unfortunately didn't work.
If you zip it up; then reply to me. You can add it via the "Attach files" button below the comment box.

Thanks, here's a fixed version.
I removed the modded, "Marigold" service dog npc. And, then the location errors were related to bits of debris that didn't have the proper data. Probably related to the custom grass I saw the SpaceCore file mention.

It now loads up correctly in an unmodded, vanilla Stardew Valley. And, I did a quick test of co-op with 2 instances of SDV on my computer just to ensure y'all can both load in, and leave the farmhouse. But, I didn't really explore much outside the farm.

Overall, it seems to be good now; but let me know if you encounter any other issues.

Attachments

Kirby_

Greenhorn
Thank you so much!

I swapped out the saves and I tried to launch the game vanilla but the same issue is happening, unfortunately :(( If you don't mind looking at the error log that appears in my error logs folder, maybe this isn't a mod issue?

Attachments

Thank you so much!

I swapped out the saves and I tried to launch the game vanilla but the same issue is happening, unfortunately :(( If you don't mind looking at the error log that appears in my error logs folder, maybe this isn't a mod issue?
I see, and thanks for the new log.

I can only reproduce this error if I use the original broken save, and then ONLY replace the "SaveGameInfo". If I replace both files, or delete the original folder, and use my fixed version it works.
Could you retry deleting the folder, and then use just my extracted version?

If that still doesn't work; y'all may need to verify game files.
--
How to verify your game files:
(Link pulled from the modding wiki, but helpful for vanilla as well: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Player_Guide/Troubleshooting#Reset_your_content_files)

Steam guide: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

Kirby_

Greenhorn
!!
It took me a few tries to figure out replacing the files but I've just run the game and it works again! I'm so grateful for your help, you've been amazing, thank you so much!!

!!
It took me a few tries to figure out replacing the files but I've just run the game and it works again! I'm so grateful for your help, you've been amazing, thank you so much!!
Nice, glad to hear you got it all sorted. And yea, no prob!
I'm glad I could help! ^-^