Issue No manifest.json file?

newtella

Newcomer
Hey, I've been modding for a while but recently took a break. I came back, updated all my mods and came back to this error.

[SMAPI] Skipped mods
[SMAPI] --------------------------------------------------
[SMAPI] These mods could not be added to your game.

[SMAPI] - Content because it's not a SMAPI mod (see https://smapi.io/xnb for info).
[SMAPI] - i18n because it contains files, but none of them are manifest.json.
[SMAPI] - skins because it's an empty folder.
[SMAPI] - Warm Cozy Fireplaces because it's an empty folder.

Now, when I select a file to play on, it just brings me back to the starting screen. Help would be appreciated!

mouse

Farmer
Content looks like you may have been trying to install an XNB mod, and put a folder meant to overwrite/merge with the game's vanilla files in your Mods folder, instead. If that's the case, I'd look for an alternative that does not require overwriting vanilla game files.

i18n is a translation folder for some mod, so I'd guess that at some point you opened a mod's folder and put all the file/folders inside it into your Mods folder, instead of keeping it in its tidy subdirectory. You shouldn't have any loose files in your Mods folder.

Same with skins -- I assume it's either a mis-installed mod (Adopt n Skin? possibly even the same mod?), or some content for a mod that was left empty when the files inside were moved somewhere else.

Warm Cozy Fireplaces could similarly be a leftover. What we really need is your entire SMAPI log, which would both answer some questions about the mods you have installed and the folder you keep them in, as well give hints for your larger issue, which is unlikely to be caused by empty folder skips :)