Issue Need Help With Stuttering and Crashes

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
Hello, I'm not necessarily new to modding but I've never been one to mess with or really even understand code without a lot of explanation, so I'm more than a bit lost with what's currently happening with my game. I already had what my friends and husband say is a hefty mod loadout, but I wanted more furniture and fashion and cosmetic content. So I recently installed a lot of mods, but as mentioned most of them are cosmetic mods via Alternative Textures, Content Patcher and/or Fashion Sense. I do have a few expansion mods such as Stardew Valley Expanded and Ridgeside Village, and some QoL mods as well. I did have East Scarp and a lot of its addons, but removed them when my game became unplayable in case they were just too big to deal with. Sadly, this isn't the case as it's still not resolved.
The issue is that not only does it take a long while for the game to fully launch (10+ minutes from the steam library page to in game), it stutters and lags so badly it's less than 1 frame per second. Strangely enough, when the game is in the background or my AFK mod is active, it runs perfectly smoothly. It's only when I'm trying to actively play that it's impossible because of the lag. I have no idea what mod could be causing this, or if it's because of the sheer number of visual/cosmetic mods I have running at once. If it's a single or few set of mods causing this I have no problem removing them, nor do I really mind paring down the number of packs I have though I want to avoid it if possible; I just have no clue where to start finding out the problem. I've seen on forums that SpriteMaster or its successor Clear Glasses could help with optimization, but the latter especially is prone to crashes atm, and doesn't play well with recolours and visual-heavy mods.
I am playing Stardew Valley 1.6 on Windows 11. My laptop computer specs are: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz, 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable), 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I have updated all drivers, cleaned my computer files, and have no viruses. Restarting my computer doesn't help, nor does it prompt updates but I can go through my settings to see if something requires an update but isn't telling me.
Here is my SMAPI log: https://smapi.io/log/6fa9c9bae78444208d6a7e96cd5481f8
Note: I have triple checked that all the mods that SMAPI says to update are in fact up to date, I can only assume their update manifests are incorrect. I do have the most recent and correct files/versions of all the mods requiring updates listed.
These warnings and errors don't mean much to me simply because I don't understand what they mean in the first place and so I don't know how to fix them either. I don't even see where Custom Backpack Framework 1.0.1 is in my mod folder because I've combed through the entire thing multiple times and haven't seen it. I even reinstalled the backpack framework folder I did see just to make sure it was the Redux version. This mod was skipped before I updated to my current mod loadout and caused no issues, but maybe something I just added isn't playing nice with it.
Anyone willing to help someone as clueless as me will have my eternal gratitude. Please make explanations detailed and step by step because I am a complete novice when it comes to editing files and coding. After this I do intend to learn at least the basics of mod edits and corrections so that simple fixes like update manifests being incorrect or changing configs without the use of Generic Mod Config Menu is actually something I know how to do, I just don't have the spoons for it right now. I will however be very willing to try any and all advice or fixes suggested here, I very much want to fix my game lag.
I hope you all have a good day!

Last edited:

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
To clarify: SVE and RSV were already installed and playing fine. As were most of my content mods that expanded farming and skills and such. It's only after I added so many AT/CP/FS mods as well as a few others that this occurred. I also set the game to be run as an administrator and as high priority, even tried running on a different CPU as that was suggested in a few forum posts. None of this helped the stuttering issue, though the priority and administrator permissions did decrease loading times as they were over 15 minutes when I first attempted to launch.

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
New SMAPI log: https://smapi.io/log/959300c63f134e21be093dc90109f547
Update: so I have scoured my computer for any and all updates to drivers, software and hardware I could find, both essential and optional. I recleaned my computer and registry too. I removed all the AT packs that were causing errors because of variations, as well as Better Beehouses because something with it wasn't playing nice. PolyamorySweetRooms is still acting up but I have no idea how to begin fixing it but given this is a brand new save it shouldn't be causing problems and I plan on making a post on the nexus page asking the author for assistance or making a new post here on the forum specifically for that. Something about Way Back Pelican Town is acting weird, it may be because of SVE but it didn't seen to have a problem that I noticed earlier. Maybe A Pelican Town is causing issues since it does minor edits to some town locations? Otherwise, I still don't know what's causing the problem. Doing all of this made no change to the stuttering problem. The game continues to run smoothly in the background or when a menu is pulled up, it only lags so badly when nothing's open. I tried changing my resolution, windowed/fullscreen, and leaving both the farmhouse and farm; none of these things made a difference. I'm truly stumped here.

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
Should I try paring down the AT and FS packs that would only see occasional or niche use? Is the problem simply content pack bloat? I do have some packs that I would only use a few textures out of the whole thing, especially a few of the larger or niche theme packs (I'm a witchy/gothic esthetic primarily so some of the other packs are simply for a few complimentary items and not the whole pack). Are there any recolour/retexture packs that are actively trying to override each other instead of adding options a la AT? Is there a mod that constantly ticks in the background that with this amount of content to load is slowing the whole thing down?

WhitePistachio

Farmhand
MAYBE, just MAYBE, game lags because of the SpaceCore. I'm not sure though. Well, maybe the amount of mods is right too, I have, like, 89 mods and my sdv lags a bit(sometimes it lags A LOT tho) too.

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
MAYBE, just MAYBE, game lags because of the SpaceCore. I'm not sure though. Well, maybe the amount of mods is right too, I have, like, 89 mods and my sdv lags a bit(sometimes it lags A LOT tho) too.
SpaceCore didn't cause an issue before? Maybe I added something that's straining it, but I wouldn't know how to figure out which mod/s is/are causing it. I have the memory of a squirrel so even now there's a few mods I'm unsure if I had them before the big addition or not.

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
Removed A Pelican Town because I'm not that attached to it, didn't seem to make a difference but at least there's fewer errors in SMAPI. Anyone know why Farming Level Affects Harvest is coming up with errors? I don't know what the error actually means.
Reinstalled Walk To The Desert Redux because apparently it can cause SpaceCore warp issues but haven't relaunched the game with that yet.

WhitePistachio

Farmhand
SpaceCore didn't cause an issue before? Maybe I added something that's straining it, but I wouldn't know how to figure out which mod/s is/are causing it. I have the memory of a squirrel so even now there's a few mods I'm unsure if I had them before the big addition or not.
Well, as I said, I'm not quite sure. I wish you luck to fix this issue!

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
SMAPI log: https://smapi.io/log/c816e00bb73d49d8ab895bec1685f021
Cries in AT packs
Update: so after sitting on this for a few days and getting desperate I started removing more things. First it was the largest of my newly added mods, which did nothing. Then it was Vanilla Tweaks because I thought maybe there was a conflict between it and another mod editing a spite that I forgot I had. No dice. I then stripped almost every AT pack I had in the damn folder. Lo and behold, the game no longer lags. So now I have the daunting task of picking and choosing which packs stay and which get the boot, which also requires me to go back and reopen every Nexus page for them so I remember which packs have which textures. Pray for me.
If anyone can point me in the direction of a mod to help with load times that doesn't crash so often or conflict with recolours as much as Clear Glasses, or ping me with an update on the mod functioning more smoothly, I'd be very greatful!

Tjacobr

Newcomer
Ok I created an account for this. I had a terrible stutter issue that started at random times and never went away. If you are also having this issue go to steam, right click on stardew, open properties, open betas. and enter "monogametest" into the betas without the ". I can't help you with the crash and if this didn't fix it I'd recommend coming over to the stardew discord as people there helped me.

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
Hey everyone! I figured out what's causing the crash: turns out my C++ package on my computer was wigging out and when I fixed it because it was causing issues with other programs it also fixed most of the crashing on Stardew. Sometimes SMAPI just dies mid-load and I don't know why exactly, but just restarting a few times until the game launches seems to work. Takes some time but I always play longer sessions anyways so load times aren't a huge deal to me. If anyone has any advice for smoothing lag on large mod loads or what could be causing the crashes let me know here!

celesnebula_

Newcomer
Hi, my game recently has been crashing a lot, especially within the vanilla areas of the game, no modded places.

most of the time it’s when I try to save the game, the screen looks like this, sometimes it will also do the same in areas around the town.

I had my 55 mods (including adventure expanded, east scarp, ridge side, Zuzu and SV expanded) and some other very small changes

I have tried everything from setting graphics to high, to uninstalling smapi and reinstalling again, to updating the mods to verifying it on steam

nothing is working

Attachments

ForeverZella

Cowpoke
Hi, my game recently has been crashing a lot, especially within the vanilla areas of the game, no modded places.

most of the time it’s when I try to save the game, the screen looks like this, sometimes it will also do the same in areas around the town.

I had my 55 mods (including adventure expanded, east scarp, ridge side, Zuzu and SV expanded) and some other very small changes

I have tried everything from setting graphics to high, to uninstalling smapi and reinstalling again, to updating the mods to verifying it on steam

nothing is working
I recommend making your own thread for this as it's more likely to be seen than buried in someone else's. I also haven't the slightest idea how to help you, but I hope someone here can!