Need help with save file not loading :(

looseygoosey

Newcomer
So my world was working like normal up until today when I tried to load into my save file it immediately sent me back to the ConcernedApe loading page. I have tried using other save files, uninstalling and reinstalling my mods (I use SMAPI). I don't know what is causing this but here is my SMAPI error log. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

17:14:20ERRORgamedeserializeTask failed with an exception. InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 6291454). ---> InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 6291454). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Name cannot begin with the '.' character, hexadecimal value 0x00. Line 1, position 6291454. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlReader.InternalReadContentAsString() at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadContentAsString() at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadElementContentAsString() at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read108_Object(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read109_Object() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) at StardewValley.SerializableDictionary`2.ReadXml(XmlReader reader) in D:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SerializableDictionary.cs:line 206 at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadSerializable(IXmlSerializable serializable, Boolean wrappedAny) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read212_IslandEast(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read245_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read273_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read274_SaveGame() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream) at StardewValley.SaveGame.<>c__DisplayClass96_0.<getLoadEnumerator>b__1() in D:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1435 at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<.cctor>b__272_0(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) --- End of stack trace from previous location --- at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
17:14:20ERRORSMAPIAn error occurred in the overridden update loop: InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 6291454). ---> InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 6291454). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Name cannot begin with the '.' character, hexadecimal value 0x00. Line 1, position 6291454. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlReader.InternalReadContentAsString() at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadContentAsString() at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadElementContentAsString() at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read108_Object(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderObject.Read109_Object() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) at StardewValley.SerializableDictionary`2.ReadXml(XmlReader reader) in D:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SerializableDictionary.cs:line 206 at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadSerializable(IXmlSerializable serializable, Boolean wrappedAny) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read212_IslandEast(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read245_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read273_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType) at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read274_SaveGame() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext() in D:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1449 at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 686

DreamWolf

Cowpoke
That error is indicating there's an issue within your save file itself. '1, 6291454' is very deep in the save file. "Name cannot begin with the '.' character" I’ve never had a dot cause a crash before.
The best thing you can do is check that position and see what it is.

Edit: Actually, it’s best if you try rolling back to the previous day.

Heres the link on how to do it

Last edited:

looseygoosey

Newcomer
I tried that. My save backup file has lots of different files in it. Some of them are marked with dates and two are just the names of my two farms. Not sure which one to work with. Tried different combinations of save files in the game file when running. same problem everytime

DreamWolf

Cowpoke
When you unlock the most recent zip folder, all your save files should load. From there, you’ll need to choose which one is the problem farm. Once you find the problematic farm, take the entire folder (e.g., 'Test_123456789') and paste it into your 'AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves' folder.
you did it like that?

looseygoosey

Newcomer
do i delete what is already in that folder? bc when I open AppData/Roaming/StardewValley/Saves there is already two files of my two farms as well was a steamautocloud file