Coding Help Need help replacing farmer sprites

xtyx98

Greenhorn
Hi all, so I decided the other day it'd be cool to have a custom farmer sprite, and I figured it'd probably be comparable to doing a minecraft skin, just go in, replace the textures, maybe some extra stuff to make sure I don't corrupt anything, bam. I've been using this forum and the stardew wiki to try and figure it out (with the wiki being exceptionally confusing and unhelpful but that's probably on me not knowing any coding languages).

So far, I've gotten the base farmer sprites, converted them to .png with an XNB Toolkit, edited them, and I'm trying to pack them back into an .xnb to test it before I finish the whole sheet. I've used two XNB Toolkits (I think one is just the other one but it has an added GUI) and so far, neither have actually packed it back together. I have the .png and the .yaml file together in the folder, nothing. I do just the .png, nothing. I renamed the files back to the original names, changed the folder names, nothing. The one with the GUI showed the file path when it was unpacking, took a few seconds, then said "Done." But when trying to pack it, all it does is a super quick flash of the beginning of the file path and says "Done" without doing anything.

I originally tried doing this on my Mac which didn't work ofc bc the command is in the Windows console language, so I moved to my partner's Surface Studio Pro with Windows 11 which unpacked the files fine. Edited with Clip Studio Paint, maintaining all the transparencies, converted back to .png, and now I'm at a standstill. I asked my partner's brother to look at it and he said that it gave an error that there was a missing semicolon somewhere, though I'm not sure if he was saying it jokingly or legit.

Is the XNB Toolkit outdated for Windows 11? Has anybody else gotten it to work or had any issues? All the resources I can find are from like 2016 and don't explain it very clearly, especially for someone like me who doesn't know much. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited: