My wife called the Desert Trader "a little bit racist" and I can't unsee it.

Johndeere756

Planter
I suspect I am older than most folks who like to play video games, and it definitely seems today's culture is more judgmental and almost looking for something wrong than before. I realize that I sound like the old timer complaining about young folks, but the reality was I had little free time to spend worrying about things that some do today. I prefer to spend my time thinking about all the positive things I see and experience in my life. Anyway, I hope everyone has a good day.

Odin

Staff member
I suspect I am older than most folks who like to play video games, and it definitely seems today's culture is more judgmental and almost looking for something wrong than before. I realize that I sound like the old timer complaining about young folks, but the reality was I had little free time to spend worrying about things that some do today. I prefer to spend my time thinking about all the positive things I see and experience in my life. Anyway, I hope everyone has a good day.
This is a common perspective, but I think it misses something important. Many people do not have personal experience with a wide range or cultures in their everyday lives. There are definitely places in the world where you can, and those lucky enough to travel often can as well, but many others can't. And everyone has a different perspective on the world. Different cultures of course do, but even within those.

Before the internet, if a group of people had an issue with something, unless it was news worthy, it was a lot more difficult for those outside that group to ever hear about. With the internet though, it is far easier to connect with people from around the world who can have different perspectives. So I think a lot of this has nothing to do with people themselves changing, as much as it has to do with the ability to hear from different voices. It's not like nothing in the past was wrong, but that those who have always taken issue now have a chance to have their voices heard.