My dog, the wall

Justinrush

Greenhorn
I have passed out in the house or right outside the house more than I'd like to admit and always because of the dog blocking the way and just sleeping there. This happens literally everywhere. I was just on my way north to Robin for crafting and wouldn't you know it he cuts me off and goes to sleep right in the pathway. WHY. If someone could please let me know if there's a way to fence him in or even get rid if the neusance completely at this point I would greatly appreciate it.

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you keep pushing that Dog (or Cat) by clicking on it, you eventually "convince" it to move and git outta the way but you need to be persistent, like when kicking a full Chest over one block when reorganizing. Just keep... "encouraging" it.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
What Lew said. But also, yes, you can fence off an area for the dog. Mine isn't fenced in, but the placement of a Junimo hut and a scarecrow narrow the ways in and out of the waterbowl area so he only wanders some of the time.

Lew Zealand

Helper
What Lew said. But also, yes, you can fence off an area for the dog. Mine isn't fenced in, but the placement of a Junimo hut and a scarecrow narrow the ways in and out of the waterbowl area so he only wanders some of the time.
Yes! I wasn't sure of this, thinking that maybe the day started with the pet in a random location on your Farm, but in my Ostrich Racetrack save, I have way too many things cluttering up the Farm and the Cat bowl is pretty fenced in. The result being that Chonkers rarely makes it out of the Bench maze I've made for him. Good thing he's not a mouse or hamster or he'd still be underfoot all the time!

I'm on mobile and use tap to move, so my controls are different. But if I touch and hold my destination, I will keep making a walking motion until I move the animal bit by bit, or pass through. I'm sure there must be a way to do it on other platforms. Just keep pushing your go button?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm sorry, like WHAT? I need to try this ASAP
I only found this out here within the past few months and tried it for the first time maybe a few weeks ago! It works. No moving things entirely out to another chest and then <poinking> it with the pick, replacing and moving stuff back. Ack, barf! But you do need to be able to kick it in the opposite direction so you won't be moving it away from a wall or other structure.

Still, it's a godsend for reorganizing!

Hill Myna

Farmer
I'm sorry, like WHAT? I need to try this ASAP
I only found this out here within the past few months and tried it for the first time maybe a few weeks ago! It works. No moving things entirely out to another chest and then <poinking> it with the pick, replacing and moving stuff back. Ack, barf! But you do need to be able to kick it in the opposite direction so you won't be moving it away from a wall or other structure.
First you have to select a slot with nothing in it (which can be tricky on consoles, "flipping" onto an empty slot is my preferred method), then you have to either hold (slower) or repeatedly tap (faster) the "use tool" button, and after a while the chest will be pushed forward.

I believe it can't go more than one tile on consoles, but I've heard through @FilthyGorilla that on PC it can go further (maximum of three tiles) if you are quick with your spamming.

And if it's stuck/against a wall, you can get it "unstuck" by pushing it towards another object; it will go sideways.

This feature was added in 1.5, so it is not yet available on mobile.

So yes, super useful! Also great for when you misplace a chest by one tile, and don't want to spend energy moving it. (true story) ;D

But the best part?

The sound it makes:

Pick-Pick-Pick-pick-Pick

FLUMP!

FairyRing

Farmer
First you have to select a slot with nothing in it (which can be tricky on consoles, "flipping" onto an empty slot is my preferred method), then you have to either hold (slower) or repeatedly tap (faster) the "use tool" button, and after a while the chest will be pushed forward.

I believe it can't go more than one tile on consoles, but I've heard through @FilthyGorilla that on PC it can go further (maximum of three tiles) if you are quick with your spamming.

And if it's stuck/against a wall, you can get it "unstuck" by pushing it towards another object; it will go sideways.

So yes, super useful! Also great for when you misplace a chest by one tile, and don't want to spend energy moving it. (true story) ;D

But the best part?

The sound it makes:

Pick-Pick-Pick-pick-Pick

FLUMP!
Does this work Switch? I've never been able to do it. But that's not saying much.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Does this work Switch? I've never been able to do it. But that's not saying much.
Yup, sure does! I just tested it and you need to move something out of the active slot and then boot the Chest a whole bunch and it'll FLUMP over to the next spot. And it works like Hill Myna says where you can kick a Chest against a wall and it'll squeeze over to the L or R. I also got a double boot where it went over 2 spots on 2 quick kicks. This is great!

This sounds like a fun Minigame in the making...

FairyRing

Farmer
Yup, sure does! I just tested it and you need to move something out of the active slot and then boot the Chest a whole bunch and it'll FLUMP over to the next spot. And it works like Hill Myna says where you can kick a Chest against a wall and it'll squeeze over to the L or R. I also got a double boot where it went over 2 spots on 2 quick kicks. This is great!

This sounds like a fun Minigame in the making...
it sure does! hhmmmm now to actually do it.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

But the best part?

The sound it makes:

Pick-Pick-Pick-pick-Pick

FLUMP!
You should be able to get it 2 tiles as I have stated there are three ways to push the chest and 2 are available on console, the only one not being tapping really fast while running.
So 2 tiles is possible, try it out.