Museum Expansion + New Collectables

As I said in a previous post yesterday, I wrote up an idea for a museum expansion for late-game content.

The museum is my favorite building since I love reading and going to museums. Every time I donate something new, I get this feeling of accomplishment, even if its just one item. However, once the museum is complete and you get the stardrop, what next?

This idea will keep you coming back to the museum with new things to donate.

To start this quest: Find all lost books and finish the original museum collection.

The player will receive a letter from Gunther to meet him at the museum.

“Hello (player name) I have some wonderful news to share with you about the museum. Please come see me as soon as possible! ~Gunther~”

When the player enters the museum, Gunther rushes from behind the counter to meet them at the door.

Gunther: "(Player name) you got my letter I see, I’m so glad you could stop by. I have some good news I’m sure you’ll be happy to hear."

“The Office of Agriculture and Wildlife has given me a large grant to improve the museum.”

“Lewis and I had a talk and have made an agreement to build a new section of the museum dedicated to plant and wildlife of the valley, isn’t that great?”

The player gets the ! above their head, excited to hear this.

Gunther: "I knew you'd be excited to hear this!"

"I also wanted to ask, would you be willing to find specimens to donate like you have before? I promise I'll make it worth your while! When you find something just bring it to me. Happy hunting!"

The player gets the :3 over their head.

Gunther and the player turn away to head back to their work, Gunther stops and turns around to face the player, the player does the same.

Gunther: "The renovations should be done in 3 days. After that, you can bring in new donations!"

After the cutscene, Robin and some unnamed construction workers will be working on the outside of the museum.

When the renovations are done, the museum will have an entirely new area.

This is where my idea maybe gets a little too far-fetched.

Like in Animal Crossing New Horizons, the museum has different rooms dedicated to different donations. A room for fossils, a room for insects, a room for fish.

My idea is the first floor would be dedicated to the original donations, minerals and artifacts. The museum would have 2 new floors dedicated to new donations.

The second floor would be dedicated to wildlife; fish and sea shells, insects, (read my post here Insect Collecting) and bird feathers (read my post here Bird Feathers)

The third and top floor would be dedicated to plant life, both stuff you grow on your farm and foraged items you find around the valley.

On the starbound forums years back, players said for the insects to be kept alive in small terrariums, some said it would be better for the insects to be placed inside picture frames. I'd be fine with either. The fish could be kept inside jars or maybe small fish tanks and kept alive. Either of these, I'm also fine with.

This would probably be a very large and crazy thing to add but I would really enjoy something new for the museum. New things to collect, new feelings of completion and maybe special new items you can only get from the museum, like new blueprints or clothes. Maybe this could be a way to gain friendship with Gunther if he becomes a marriage candidate or someone you can just get to befriend. (PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE great and powerful CA, make Gunther a marriage candidate!)

Maybe after completing the new museum collection you get ANOTHER stardrop or even a map to a new location to explore. I better stop here before my brain explodes and drowns everyone in over-the-top ideas

What do you think of this? Too much? Fun? Boring?

Last edited:
Honestly, I sound like a broken record for saying this, buuuuuut: Animal Crossing method.

Hear me out. In Animal Crossing, one would donate to the museum. Not just relics. Bugs. Fish. Dinosaur fossils. It was awesome! Expanding it to add exhibits for existing items would put A LOT more immersion and replayability in the already replayable game!