Multihosting for Multiplayer!

It'd be a neat feature to implement an option for multiple users to host one server.

Instead of waiting for the host to go online to make progress on your co-op farmventures or having to file share at the end of every session, this option will bring a better QOL for multiplayer! :grin::grin::grin:

I'm asking for at least a robust way of hosting from one PC to the next.

I'm not looking for some fancy Steam server integration. Saves still work from a day to day basis. If the current host leaves the server before the day ends, the day isn't saved and the server closes. But hey, at least your buddy with hosting perms can hop on and host if you gotta go. And your other buddies can hop on the same server, just hosted on a different PC.

If all players are in the same local network I never had problems to play a multiplayer game. You only have to search/check the local ip-address of the player who provides the server.
I'm talking about multiplayer though. To play with friends that live on other parts of the planet.
I think multi-hosting should be a feature in the game rather than a mod or anything else. At the end of a multi-hosted server's life, the most recent saved game files get duplicated and updated to those with hosting perms. Basically file-sharing, but it's an automated built-in game feature.

I dunno about the logistics of implementing such a thing as I'm not a developer, but here's my free idea Eric. Take it or leave it!

Last edited:
I'm talking about multiplayer though. To play with friends that live on other parts of the planet.
I think multi-hosting should be a feature in the game rather than a mod or anything else.
Okay. That means mainly a kind of VPN for all players, managed by a free matching-server.
Actually this would be nice to make it easier "to play with friends that live on other parts of the planet". But technically it's already possible.

At the end of a multi-hosted server's life, the most recent saved game files get duplicated and updated to those with hosting perms. Basically file-sharing, but it's an automated built-in game feature.
I dont get that...
How can you play together when one just shares savegames?

I dunno about the logistics of implementing such a thing as I'm not a developer, but here's my free idea Eric. Take it or leave it!
I am fine with you suggestion!
It's just that this is a feature you probably get already somewhere in the web (matching servers which build up a VPN for the matching partners) and so there's no need for a special development in SDV. There are a lot of free ones in Github: https://github.com/topics/vpn-server

But yes, if SDV comes bundled with such a pre-configured matching server it would be nice.