Mods not updated, can I play on an older version

lyn9314

Greenhorn
I just recently got Stardew on PC and want to play a modded playthrough. Sadly, a lot of the mods I want to use have yet to be updated for 1.6. Is there any way that I can play on an older version of the game so that the mods will work properly/at all? I've seen a lot of people say to save an old file before the update, but I didn't download the game on PC until after the update so 1.6 is the only version on my computer.

Lew Zealand

Helper
There is an option on Steam to download v1.5.6 but it will replace your v1.6 and you will not be able to open any v1.6 Farm (including any you upgraded/played through to the next day) on v1.5.6.

Right click on Stardew Valley in the left column in Steam's main window and select Properties
Click Betas on the left
Next to Beta Participation, click the popup and select legacy_1.5.6

That should replace your v1.6 with v1.5.6.

lyn9314

Greenhorn
There is an option on Steam to download v1.5.6 but it will replace your v1.6 and you will not be able to open any v1.6 Farm (including any you upgraded/played through to the next day) on v1.5.6.

Right click on Stardew Valley in the left column in Steam's main window and select Properties
Click Betas on the left
Next to Beta Participation, click the popup and select legacy_1.5.6

That should replace your v1.6 with v1.5.6.
Is it possible to switch between the two, like will my saves still be there? I like vanilla 1.6, just want to see how mods play.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Is it possible to switch between the two, like will my saves still be there? I like vanilla 1.6, just want to see how mods play.
Yes you can switch between the two as long as you don't play an older save through a day in v1.6, which then updates your save. I still have older versions of many of my saves I haven't touched yet in v1.6 and I can open them in v1.5.6. You'll need to do that Steam Beta switch thing and re-download SDV each time you switch versions but at least it's a small download!

You may want to make a backup of your Stardew Valley Saves folder and put it somewhere safe right now so you'll always have those v1.5.6 versions available, just in case! It's here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves

Just copy that whole Saves folder to your Documents or similar.