Mods musings

Solaris

Farmhand
Hey community!

Recently I felt the desire to play the game from start to finish again and without any cheats that could give you "unfair" advantages like CJBs etc. (i have a few playthroughs with such mods) so I installed only a few QoL mods like moving a chest or the info ui suite.

It was a very enjoyable experience. I thought about how having challenges, being patient, planning and strategizing really give you that depth of enjoyment and what gives you the motivation to continue are the opportunities for expansion in different ways like buildings, places etc.

There are many mods that add amazing content to the game like the tractor, the rings, the automated production, the automated doors etc. and also really enjoyable to use, but for the most part many of them miss a very crucial thing - the progress.

Thus we arrive at my point I was thinking about and lets take the tractor mod as an example.

The mod gives you the opportunity to build the tractor garage, which is in itself a challenging thing to do because of the resource cost. However from there it becomes almost like a cheat code and is fun for awhile but quickly loses its appeal for that reason. Cheats are always fun, but always only for awhile. They don't integrate as a part of a step towards something and moreover something that is challenging. Cheats trivialize games and that becomes boring quickly.

I imagined for awhile how would I feel if the tractor mod had everything about it "gamified" like the effective radius, to be invulnerable while on, to use it outside of the farm etc. (all currently manual options). As a simple example lets take just the use of the tractor. Maybe there could be a game mechanic of fuel, so you can't use it indefinitely or at least not at first. That way it would be a really useful step forward in the game in terms of progress, but still not make you feel like you are abusing the system. So fuel could be crafted and could be expensive, maybe you can purchase a certain amount each day for a lot of gold from Pierre. With the fuel mechanic there might be a set of fuel capacity upgrades you can purchase from Robin for a good amount of resources. Also there might be a mechanic that allows an upgrade of the type of fuel to use. Same would go for the effective radius which could be a set of upgrades at Robin's. Also the tractor might have a few extension upgrades for busting rocks, chopping trees, cutting grass etc. See how there is huge potential to be had for things to work towards, to strategize for, to look forward and be another part of the SV world to incorporate if you wish in parallel with everything else, giving you another layer of enjoyment?

The end result I am thinking about with mods constructed that way (with every single facet of them as progress) is having an endless potential for exciting new playthroughs.

Thanks for reading!