Writing Middlewalk

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-93

Its twilight, and shortly after the stars become visible, a comet can be seen near the horizon over the ocean. To tell the truth, it really is not much to look at, appearing as a nondescript smudge. Looking closely, one can tell that something is there, but exactly what it is remains unclear. I ring up Maru, and after two tries, finally get ahold of her. She says that the comet has survived its trip close to the sun and is now heading back into deep space. But if I would like to see it better, I can visit and look through her telescope. The next night promises to be cloud and moon-free, so the three of us hop into the mine carts and head for Robin and Demetrius's home in the mountains. More and more, Cassie is starting to enjoy taking these mine cart rides. Once there, I'm surprised to see that there is already a small line of villagers waiting for a view through Maru's telescope. We join the line and stand behind Pierre and Abigale and listen in while Maru explains what we are about to see. She talks about how a primal body made up of rock, ice, and frozen gases is perturbed by the gravitation of other planets, and as a result, its orbit shifts from a circular one out in the middle of nowhere to more of an elliptical one that brings it closer to the sun. As it nears the sun, the ice and gases boil off and are blown away from the comet, making for a long tail. When it is my turn, I look through the eyepiece and sure enough, now it looks like a real comet. There is a tiny glowing nucleus surrounded by a dim ball of fuzz. Jutting out from this ball is a spectacular tail, long enough to go out of view of the eyepiece. When it becomes Cassie's turn to look, Maru has a box set aside nearby for those who are vertically challenged, and it gives Cassie a stable platform so that she can look into the eyepiece. I have to admit that after their turns, neither Haley nor Cassie appear noticeably impressed. I can understand their feelings. It is not easy imagining something so faint, cold and distant, when there is a world of life right here that they can see and touch. After thanking Maru, we decide to take a slow walk through the village.

The lights of the houses are muted, closed off by shades and curtains, and the village is quiet. Probably most everyone is at the dinner table. Haley and I walk hand in hand, and I can hear Cassie's footsteps as she skips ahead of us. In the distance, a door opens and a trash can lid clangs. A large grasshopper is attracted to one of the street lights, and Cassie gives chase until it flies out of reach. We pass 1 Willow Lane. The house is dark (Emily is helping Gus tonight), and as she looks at her old house, Haley becomes reflective. She begins with, "I have this little voice in my head that I'm sure is really me. It seems as if that voice has never changed, from the time I was a child until now. Everything in my life has changed, yet the voice seems the same. But that cannot be true." I'm listening carefully and agree with her that we all have such a voice. Haley continues, "Just about everything in my life has changed since the day that I moved to our farmhouse, yet I am still the same me. Back then, I had this enormous crush on you, and I was totally under its influence when I married you. Best decision I ever made in my entire life. That house that was so much part of my life for so long now seems like so much ancient history. Like a part of me. Sometimes I wonder why you married me." About this time, I want to chip in with saying, "Because you are the cutest girl on the planet," but my intuition tells me that this is not what Haley wants to hear right now. Instead, I say something that is also true, "You have the kindest, most thoughtful, and most imaginative heart of anyone I know." I must have said something right, because Haley snuggles up a little closer to me as we walk. She adds, "I can't believe that little bundle of joy is ours. Look at her go." Cassie has discovered an old chalked in hop-scotch pattern, likely drawn by Jas, and is hopping from number to number. "She is you, you know," I say thoughtfully. "You are a mother now, but inside that voice of yours really is still young and remembers how you felt, and the things that you experienced growing up in this valley. Cassie will turn out to have a heart just like yours." As we walk past Marni's house and make the turn towards our farm, Cassie runs up and asks, "Why do the crickets stop singing when I walk by?" Haley replies, "Crickets love singing, and are very curious. When you go near, they stop singing so that they can listen to your songs. They're very polite. The louder you sing, the more the crickets will stop and listen to you. Try it and see what happens." Cassie starts off with, "London Bridge is falling down," and sure enough, the entire forest shuts down to "listen". I whisper to Haley, "I wonder how long she's going to believe you?" Haley laughs, and says, "Long enough." Cassie's singing only lasts a few minutes, because just past our sunflower patch lightning bugs were playing, and she races off to try and capture a few. Back in our kitchen, it's been some time since we had supper, and so for our dessert, Haley brings out one of her pumpkin pies. She uses the recipe that she received from Emily, but Haley's pies taste nothing like Emily's. Haley's are creamier and almost twice as thick, and in my opinion, simply amazing. Both Cassie and I pour out the compliments, as we hold out our plates for second pieces. Haley smiles, and I can tell that her little voice inside is glowing with happiness.

I don’t usually talk to myself, but when I saw the email letting me know that you’d posted another chapter, the words “Yay, Middlewalk!” came out of my mouth.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Ah Blurryface, I don't know what to say. It is not so easy to keep going after a year and a half of story writing, and just now, as I collect a new enthusiastic reader, I am going to stop. Ironic isn't it. #94 will be my last. Thank you sincerely, for reading (and enjoying) them all. Normally my writings are published in the scientific journals of lesser obscurity in a language that is meaningless to most, but there are a few readers who communicate back and say, "Wonderful stuff." Here, just for fun, I write a story in present tense regular English, and exactly the same number of readers, write back with compliments. It's magic.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-94

It's the early morning of Spring, day 1, and seven years in Stardew Valley have wrapped up and I am really looking forward to number eight. Right now, I'm out in the field engaged in the familiar task of clearing up winter's debris and reflecting on what I'm going to plant this year. My brain starts out with a list of Haley's favorites. A little surprise might be nice. My ears hear it first, a faint hum, and looking up, I see off in the distance an unusual light. Unless I'm mistaken, I've seen this light before, but only at night. It's the crop fairy, somehow heading towards our farm. Just my luck, she shows up on a day when I have no crops. The screen door bangs, and out comes Haley on the run towards me. She must have heard the hum too. I'm suddenly filled with a sense of apprehension, as two very unusual things are happening simultaneously. Haley reaches me first, and to my quizzical look, she doesn't say a word, but holds on to me tightly. The sound of the fairy wings grows louder. I turn and look deeply into that beautiful face and see tears falling from those huge blue eyes. Everything is happening too fast. I want to ask, "What's wrong. What's happening? Why are you here?" but my mouth opens in slow motion. The fairy is here. I can see her reflection in Haley's eyes. She reaches high with her wand and taps me on the shoulder. Tap. Tap. Tap.

I close my eyes to stop the spinning, and when I open them, I'm in a different world. A very familiar but forgotten world. I'm back in the bedroom of my house in Southern California. I open the curtains, look out, and see only other houses on the cul-de-sac where I live. The sky is blue, but it is not the blue of Stardew Valley. Seven of the most real years have passed, and I can remember everything (well, most everything). I look in the mirror and see that my younger, Stardew Valley face, one that never changed and never aged, has been replaced by one that does. I'm suddenly filled with a sense of wondering what date it is and turn on my computer and look at the screen. Here, in this California world, with the exception of perhaps a few minutes, time has stood still, and one by one, memories start to return. I remember the story of the sleeping Rip van Winkle and give a small sight of relief that at least this world did not move on ahead, seven years in my absence. More memories are rushing back.

There I was, so long ago, in the shower, and had just added a squirt of shampoo to my hair. I was rubbing my hair and my eyes were closed to keep out the soap, and yet over the sound of falling water, I could hear a strange buzzing. I kind of forced my eyes to open, as I didn't want to get soap in the, and kind of peeped out. There, just a few feet away, was a hummingbird like creature, with the shape of a young lady less than a foot high. Startled, soap or not, I really opened my eyes, and the humming creature spoke, "Do you recognize me?" I was too astonished to answer right away. I waved my hand at it, thinking that perhaps I was seeing something in my imagination. "Do you recognize me?" she asked again. The running water, running soap, misty creature, all conspired to make it difficult to answer. The whirling wings, the crystal toned voice. Then recognition hit me. "You're the crop fairy from Stardew Valley, a game that I play on a computer." Even now, I paid no attention to the fact that I was stark naked, standing under water in the shower and seemingly had the ability to talk to a three-dimensional version of something that I had seen in a game. "Would you like to go with me and live in the valley?" The game, "Stardew Valley" was an immersive experience, where it was easy to interact and build a simpler life far separate from reality. More than once, I had imagined myself living there, ready to escape into a different existence. Of course, it was just a game. I wanted more time before I answered, to put some clothes on, time to sort out what is real and what is not real, but the fairy looked at me expecting my answer. I said, "Yes." She reached out with her wand. Tap. Tap. Tap.

For seven wonderful years, I had been given the gift of living out a wonderful dream. The return back here was too abrupt. My heart still thinks that it is in love. Mostly my memories centered about the daily singing, laughter, and touches of Haley. These now rattle about in my head like a ping pong ball that fell off the table and is bouncing its way to getting lost. More than anything, I miss out future together. Now back in California, I began writing down as much as I remembered of what had take place in Stardew Valley, as I was thrust into a very real three-dimensional world that paralleled the game. I titled the tales of my adventure, "Middlewalk" as a tribute to the title from Elliott's first novel, one that he wrote while I was living in Stardew Valley. It wasn't until I returned back into my real life that I was able to purchase and read a copy of his novel. He called his, "Middlemarch", and authored it under the pseudonym George Eliot (who else). Of course, it was a story written about an imaginary village set back in time. The enormous success of Middlemarch (apart from the author's sheer brilliance) came from readers wishing to return to a simpler time, before the industrialization of life had revolutionized human relationships. Middlemarch's author didn't know Haley like I did, but you will recognize some of Haley in Rosamond, and some of Emily in Dorothea. If you love a story taking place in a historical time when conversation, analogies and metaphors were far more important than accomplishments and events, I recommend reading Eliot's Middlemarch.

No….. 😭
Wow, that was extremely poignant. I’m touched by the wonderful conclusion wrapped onto the end of a rollercoaster-ride of a novella. Thanks for your wonderful work. I’m sure I’ll come back and read it all again.
For now, good night, Middlewalk.

Jayamos

Farmer
This so captures the feeling I sometimes have of coming back into the world after playing Stardew Valley for a while, one foot in SDV, one in my demanding, rewarding life, and missing SDV's simplicity, and still thinking about the characters and the SDV universe. Writing it down is a way to do something with that energy! Thanks for sharing Middlewalk and your take on that universe. I've been hearing Middlemarch in that title and now I know why.