Marriage

Old Man Tab

Sodbuster
Good Evening All

Im new to the forum

First thing i want to say is that the game is brilliant and i played it for hours

But i feel as if the marriage part can be improved (Man getting married to a woman)

My suggestions for the game is as follows:

1) When you get married to a woman in the game,i would like her to ask me everyday when i get home how was work and given the option on what answer must i say to her

2) When your spouse gives birth,there must be a cutscene where you are in the clinic and your spouse is in the ward (Maru or Dr Harvey will be in the ward to help your spouse give birth).and the local townspeople will be there for the name giving ceremony and bring gifts also

3) And there should be days where you and your spouse can take the kids out for the day (either Saturday or Sunday)

4) And you must be able to pick your child up and play with him/her (from Stage 1 of their birth to Stage 4) so that you can interact more with your kids

5)And,if you and your spouse are working,you could have the option of hiring a babysitter to take care of the kids

If you have any questions,feel free to ask me :smile:

Kurachi84

Planter
You want this if you marry a woman. Not if you marry a man? A man needn't care about his spouse's day?

And you should be in the waiting room, your spouse in the ward? Is this still the 50s? What's going on here?

Srsly, how old are you?
Try to not take it in such bad way, as this person was talking about their own idea, and English might not be their first language, from what i see.
Then men cannot get pregnant, so that part surely shows the person was talking about their own playstyle.
How much salt does there have to be for a simple suggestion of a person that they'd like to see?

Anyway, i don't want kids IRL or ingame, but i do like marriage in the game to be some bigger. :)

Old Man Tab

Sodbuster
The game says that if you a same gender couple,then you will adopt children

Now moving on to the marriage part (Man/Woman) (Woman/Man),why i say that it should improve abit is because when it comes to Stage 1, Stage 3 and Stage 4 of your child,then you cannot pick them up or play with them

And that for me is abit disappointing

Look,i have alot of respect for the creators of the game

If you have more questions,feel free to ask me :smile:

liquidcat

Staff member
Hey everyone, I wanna ask you guys to refrain from name calling each other.

That being said, more marriage interactions and seeing your children get older/more interaction with them is popular suggestion, it would be nice if it is added at some point.

imnvs

Local Legend

Now moving on to the marriage part (Man/Woman) (Woman/Man),why i say that it should improve abit is because when it comes to Stage 1, Stage 3 and Stage 4 of your child,then you cannot pick them up or play with them

And that for me is abit disappointing
Why is a man/woman relationship disappointing to you in this regard but others aren't? Same-sex relationships have children that go through all the same stages of growth. Why is it all about how a man/woman couple should be able to pick up their kids at other stages?

Honestly, the way you keep talking about this idea of yours? It sounds to me like you're asking for something special for people playing as cis-hetero, not for the rest, and as far as I understand, is antithetical to the Stardew philosophy of community and acceptance. If you were asking for everything you were asking for but didn't keep bringing it back to only man/woman relationships, I wouldn't have a problem and I wouldn't be picking your idea apart.
Try to not take it in such bad way, as this person was talking about their own idea, and English might not be their first language, from what i see.
Then men cannot get pregnant, so that part surely shows the person was talking about their own playstyle.
How much salt does there have to be for a simple suggestion of a person that they'd like to see?
My contentions can't be explained away by him not being a native speaker. It has nothing to do with who can and can not get pregnant. It's that he's asking for this for man/woman relationships... and I need to examine that. Why should this only be for man/woman parents? Does he think they are special in some way? Does he think other couples aren't entitled to the same interactions?

...and maybe if he can be made to understand how outdated and sexist this appears, he can change and better himself, and together we can make this a better idea for Stardew.

Last edited:

Kurachi84

Planter
Why is a man/woman relationship disappointing to you in this regard but others aren't? Same-sex relationships have children that go through all the same stages of growth. Why is it all about how a man/woman couple should be able to pick up their kids at other stages?

Honestly, the way you keep talking about this idea of yours? It sounds to me like you're asking for something special for people playing as cis-hetero, not for the rest, and as far as I understand, is antithetical to the Stardew philosophy of community and acceptance. If you were asking for everything you were asking for but didn't keep bringing it back to only man/woman relationships, I wouldn't have a problem and I wouldn't be picking your idea apart.

My contentions can't be explained away by him not being a native speaker. It has nothing to do with who can and can not get pregnant.
The person only speaks from own view, so you could imagine the other kinds of marriages in SDV, too.
They are saying they are disappointed in the fact that marriage doesn't do as much as they like it to do.

Read in context, please.
Not to be rude, just read it as a post with not as good English and on own view.
They are saying "i'd like it to be like this", not "i don't want it like it is now".
Look at the "stages", which happen only with man and woman in relationships, as the birth doesn't go the same for 2 men or 2 women.
So each step is based on man-woman marriage in this case.

I'm Dutch, so i know how non-native English can look like, as i've even helped someone in another game before, who had an extreme case of dyslexia, and due to me pronouncing the words he typed, i could make some sentences out of it.
This person seems to stay at their own point of the suggestion, instead of what you may misunderstand here.
Please stop trying to make it so political, as that's not what the suggestion is about.
Try typing with an empty mind, without controversial topics in mind, as not everyone is busy with that 24/7.

This part shows it's about having kids from birth on.
It's about from pregnancy on, no? That's in the 1st post. Step 2 says that.

EDIT:
It's better to only talk about own interests, so that one doesn't seem bad, but trying to go against this like that, DOES make it seem bad.
Never said "each step should only apply to man-woman marriages" or something.

Old Man Tab

Sodbuster
The person only speaks from own view, so you could imagine the other kinds of marriages in SDV, too.
They are saying they are disappointed in the fact that marriage doesn't do as much as they like it to do.

Read in context, please.
Not to be rude, just read it as a post with not as good English and on own view.
They are saying "i'd like it to be like this", not "i don't want it like it is now".
Look at the "stages", which happen only with man and woman in relationships, as the birth doesn't go the same for 2 men or 2 women.
So each step is based on man-woman marriage in this case.

I'm Dutch, so i know how non-native English can look like, as i've even helped someone in another game before, who had an extreme case of dyslexia, and due to me pronouncing the words he typed, i could make some sentences out of it.
This person seems to stay at their own point of the suggestion, instead of what you may misunderstand here.
Please stop trying to make it so political, as that's not what the suggestion is about.
Try typing with an empty mind, without controversial topics in mind, as not everyone is busy with that 24/7.

EDIT:
It's better to only talk about own interests, so that one doesn't seem bad, but trying to go against this like that, DOES make it seem bad.

And i do apologise if you took it the wrong way

It was just a suggestion

But if you want,we can make it better to accommodate for everybody else

And i wasnt trying to be funny at all

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Good Evening All

Im new to the forum

First thing i want to say is that the game is brilliant and i played it for hours

But i feel as if the marriage part can be improved (Man getting married to a woman)

My suggestions for the game is as follows:

1) When you get married to a woman in the game,i would like her to ask me everyday when i get home how was work and given the option on what answer must i say to her

2) When your spouse gives birth,there must be a cutscene where you are in the clinic and your spouse is in the ward (Maru or Dr Harvey will be in the ward to help your spouse give birth).and the local townspeople will be there for the name giving ceremony and bring gifts also

3) And there should be days where you and your spouse can take the kids out for the day (either Saturday or Sunday)

4) And you must be able to pick your child up and play with him/her (from Stage 1 of their birth to Stage 4) so that you can interact more with your kids

5)And,if you and your spouse are working,you could have the option of hiring a babysitter to take care of the kids

If you have any questions,feel free to ask me :smile:
1.) Following up, could have <spouse> respond accordingly. If bad, <spouse> could apologize (with some endearing term), and maybe offer up some sort of dish or item to try and brighten farmer’s day/night.

2.) I’d love for this. Never thought about this before I came across a mod that is similar (doesn’t have anything with other NPC’s, just farmer, <spouse>, and Harvey). It’d be awesome for something like in vanilla game, including the name-day ceremony.

3.) That’d be fun. ^^ I was happy when the feature was added where the kids are near <spouse> during certain festivals. Your suggestion expands further on that. It’d be cool to see <spouse> at the playground with the kids.

4.) It did feel lacking to not be able to pick up the kids anymore after they’re no longer in the crib. Following up, it’d be a cool to have it where either farmer and/or <spouse> can pick up kid and carry kid to the crib and/or tuck them in bed. Maybe even have it where there are nap schedules, and <spouse> can have dialogue about having put the kids down for a nap.

5.) Hiring babysitter option would be equally as cool. For instance, if <spouse> has family in-game, perhaps relatives could. If not, then maybe another NPC could. Or even just a new NPC, which would arrive from out of town (a lot more work with that one, but still).

Overall, these suggestions definitely give some more immersion to the game without having to use mods. ^^

Kurachi84

Planter
And i do apologise if you took it the wrong way

It was just a suggestion

But if you want,we can make it better to accommodate for everybody else

And i wasnt trying to be funny at all
Oh no, sorry, i replied to your comment to make a point.
Wasn't meant for you.

1.) Following up, could have <spouse> respond accordingly. If bad, <spouse> could apologize (with some endearing term), and maybe offer up some sort of dish or item to try and brighten farmer’s day/night.
I agree with this one... the other ones sound fun, too, but not for childless players like myself XD
Maybe if the day was rough, or after either answer, the player gets a buff for some minutes to use until bed.
Like Farming +1 to harvest the crops you didn't get yet.
I'd leave the more expensive crops until i get that boost, if she'd give me one.

If this question is also possible to get and answer, it could give any +1 buff, really.
Maybe such buff OR full healing would be nice.
Well, another suggestion we can think about, haha... i'll stop before 1GB of text appears, but nice ideas here!

Dragonheardt

Planter
As some have said/alluded to here, once married in-game, the spouse leaves their home and their wishes and dreams behind to just be around the farm. There is a lot of suggestion (and some mods) that improve the interaction between the farmer and the spouse.

I personally agree that there should be more going on after marrying an NPC, such as:
  • They could still pursue what they established as their passion in earlier heart events.
  • They could leave the house often and do things, interact with other NPCs more
  • They could ask you to do things for them around the farm or regarding their life, kinda like a quest
  • They could have additional dialogue. Currently there's only a few repeating lines that they say after marriage
But relationships are complex; its no wonder all these things werent put in base game. Thats what opening the game for modding allows, though. There's plenty of cool mods out there and discussions like this inspire more mods to arise.

HyruleHero97

Cowpoke
I wouldn't mind if they sort of did a system like in Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life, where you could grow older, and your kids would too, and maybe even do like a generation system, like you could play as your kid, and the other villagers that your kid could interact, and romance would be the children of other characters, like say your son, could date the daughter of Abigail, and Sebastian. Though Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life, is depressing enough on it's own, which is why I'm glad Harvest Moon DS, which is basically the same game with the same characters, just slight diffrences, one being very creepy (*Stares at Lumina*), not sure if I want that in Stardew.

Old Man Tab

Sodbuster

2.) I’d love for this. Never thought about this before I came across a mod that is similar (doesn’t have anything with other NPC’s, just farmer, <spouse>, and Harvey). It’d be awesome for something like in vanilla game, including the name-day ceremony.

3.) That’d be fun. ^^ I was happy when the feature was added where the kids are near <spouse> during certain festivals. Your suggestion expands further on that. It’d be cool to see <spouse> at the playground with the kids.

4.) It did feel lacking to not be able to pick up the kids anymore after they’re no longer in the crib. Following up, it’d be a cool to have it where either farmer and/or <spouse> can pick up kid and carry kid to the crib and/or tuck them in bed. Maybe even have it where there are nap schedules, and <spouse> can have dialogue about having put the kids down for a nap.

5.) Hiring babysitter option would be equally as cool. For instance, if <spouse> has family in-game, perhaps relatives could. If not, then maybe another NPC could. Or even just a new NPC, which would arrive from out of town (a lot more work with that one, but still).

Overall, these suggestions definitely give some more immersion to the game without having to use mods. ^^

It would be great if they used these suggestions in the game

imnvs

Local Legend

EDIT:
(sigh) He brought up man/woman marriage again after I pointed out that it appeared he was asking for something only for cis-straight marriages. He has not responded to that to say anything about what he's asking for applying to everyone, except in passing and in response to you, not to my questions. He also said that he didn't bring up same sex relationships because they adopt, not get pregnant. I'm challenging what he's saying because it appears outdated and sexist. I'm not calling him these things. I'm not calling him a terrible person. You don't need to go on a dragon-killing crusade here for his benefit. Srsly, relax. I'm asking him to clarify so I know whether intent matches appearance, but instead I have to deal with you telling me that I'm overreacting? No, I'm investigating. You'll know when I'm overreacting.

That said, I'm done talking to you about this idea, Kurachi. The long and short of it, if he wants this only for man/woman pairings, I'm going to cry foul from the tallest mountain tops. Exclusivity is antithetical to this game. If he wants this only to apply to children born and not adopted, same thing. Inclusivity is where it's at.

Last edited:
[…] a cutscene where you are in the clinic and your spouse is in the ward […]
I actually like giving birth in the night on my homestead like a real frontier woman. Perhaps each couple can decide how they want to do this.

But it would be better to drive to Zulu city than let Maru (who has no certification that I’m aware of) and Harvey (who is clearly not an OBGYN) have anything to do with the birth.

I’d trust one of them if they were a midwife. Perhaps the Wizards ex is a midwife or a herbwife, considering that she’s being called a witch.