Making A Conlang For Stardew Valley

Polynomal

Cowpoke
I'm planning on making a conlang (constructed language) for the residents of Stardew Valley to speak, maybe it could be the offical language of The Ferngill Republic (a name like Ferngillian might work). I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the aspects of such a language. Would it be Slavic, European, Iranian, etc? What are some quirks do you think would have developed over time and most importantly, what would the Phonology (sounds in the language) be?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi Polynomal and Welcome to the Forums!

Esperanto! Well it was made to appeal to... mostly people familiar with European languages? I always suggest Spanish for a universal language since it makes so much sense, especially when compared to the mushpot of English rules, even though English use is so widespread.

I wonder if the quirks of a Stardew or Ferngill language would be more magically-aligned considering the wealth of supernatural happenings in Stardew Valley. My own headcanon used to be that the magic is mostly confined to Stardew Valley which is why the Wizard has been exiled to a rickety tower on the edge of town where the local forest spirits won't even talk to him. But then Skull Cavern in the Desert and more recently Ginger Island challenges that and if Magic can happen in those places maybe it's spread throughout the Republic and thus infused the local dialects with more magical wordings and descriptions.

Jayamos

Farmer
According to Tolkien Finnish is one of the more magical languages. Welsh and Irish are also pretty magical. Spanish does make for a practical universal language tho.

Quirinea

Farmer
According to Tolkien Finnish is one of the more magical languages. Welsh and Irish are also pretty magical. Spanish does make for a practical universal language tho.
A Finnish translation exists already. :wink: (By me). So this august language is already available.
The OP spoke of a conlang -- no any real language or already existing artificial language. Hmmm. The people's names are pointing into an English language context.