Make Magnets Cheaper

Magnets cost 1,000 and once you cast your rod one gets used.
You could also just fish up trash, and if you did if you bought the magnet you would have wasted 1,000.
Maybe make them cost 100 or something?

tomaO2

Planter
Never used a magnet before. *checks* huh. They count as bait, not a lure. That is horribly expensive. You can make them out of iron bars, but they don't seem all that useful when compared to the cost. Apperently, magnets don't increase the speed of catching fish either. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Wiki says you only double your chance to get a treasure chest. Well, if I double my chance to get a chest (normally 15%, and becomes 30%), but take twice as long to catch a fish, then this bait is worse than useless.

I'm not for lowering the cost. That said, if I have to spend an iron bar to make 3 of these things, or spend 1k gold to buy one, I would like at least a 80%+ chance to get a chest, and I think there is a fair argument for this to be 100%. A lot of chests are pretty useless, after all.

Last edited:
The deconstructor is you friend. Buy a spinner for 500. Toss in the deconstructer. Wait and recieve 2 iron bars make 6 magnets. the downside is that they are hard to come by.............

tomaO2

Planter
Are you sure they function like regular bait? The wiki says fish don't like the taste, so it sounds like you get fewer bites. Regardless, I still think that doubling the chance for treasure isn't enough for an extremely expansive bait like this. Most treasure chests are not worth an iron bar.

Also, the deconstructor trick sounds like an exploit that needs to be patched up.

Ereo

Helper
Are you sure they function like regular bait? The wiki says fish don't like the taste, so it sounds like you get fewer bites. Regardless, I still think that doubling the chance for treasure isn't enough for an extremely expansive bait like this. Most treasure chests are not worth an iron bar.

Also, the deconstructor trick sounds like an exploit that needs to be patched up.
Keep reading. The in game description says fish don't like the taste, and the wiki quotes that, but goes on to say they function like normal bait besides that.

I don't really think they are worth it, especially when bought. Fishing treasure mostly turns out to be bait for me anyways...

The deconstructor is pretty late game, du at that point you've likely got millions (or at least hundreds of thousands). At that point, exploits aren't all that useful.

Your only competing against yourself anyways, so I don't see why exploits matter that much in a game like stardew.

Odin

Staff member
I don't really think they are worth it, especially when bought. Fishing treasure mostly turns out to be bait for me anyways...
These used to be more important for obtaining artifacts like the dino egg, before 1.4 added more ways to get those and introduced artifact troves.

Kurachi84

Planter
They are better to use at bubbles, as those make you get fish on the hook fast.
Sometimes i use magnets with treasure hunter tackle and i always have the pirate profession.
1 Iron bar and 1000g are expensive, but when fishing and seeing bubbles, it's a nice time to get these out, and catch many treasure chests.
I'd say cheaper would be nice, though!
100g sounds good, and maybe each craft gives 5 instead of 1?
Also would be nice if magnets in crab pots would attract more trash items, imo.

Also had in mind the wild bait for more or better fish(quality?) in crab pots... but that's a little off topic right now.

Magnets giving at least a BIT better catch rate on fishing rods would be awesome, too, for non-bubbly days, i guess :P